Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Your favourite Paris restaurant (for honeymoon)

Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some

For a very special meal...which would you recommend? Le Cinq (we're staying at the George V), Ducasse, Taillevent, Gagnaire (never heard of but got this from top 50 list), or another?

As this is our honeymoon we are not too worried about money.

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My vote goes to Taillevent. Every meal I have ever had there has been extraordinary. Moreover, the service is quite warm and the ambiance is lovely. You won't be disappointed. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 5:43 pm

Programs: Nobody at this point :(
We've had 4 wonderful meals in Paris over the course of 2 food oriented trips; take your pick: Jamin for French fare, Tan Dinh for Vietnamese food that takes on French ingredients without losing hardcore Vietness, Bouillon Racine for Belgian, and the last is a Moroccan restaurant called Mansouria
All these are in the $150-200/couple/meal range, which is just about the line above which you pay more for the snoot than the food.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Taillevent. I think the food is a bit better, and a lot more interesting at Pierre Gagnaire, but for the overall experience I would say Taillevent without much question. The owner of Taillevent is a real gentlemen who oversees everything and assures a special visit for all, each time. Favorite restaurant anywhere, hands down.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Another vote for Taillevent. It will make for wonderful memories in years to come!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dorlee
Another vote for Taillevent. It will make for wonderful memories in years to come!
I agree 100%. You'll leave thinking that you got a bargain, even after dropping a few hundred dollars per person.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Purely for romance: A private room at Laperouse. The food isn't Taillevent (and do still go there!), but the food is very good & the experience unforgettable!!

I think the most romantic 3* room in Paris is Le Grand Vefour.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:43 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Monsieur Vrinat, the owner of Taillevent, is a class act and I cannot but heartily agree on this choice. I also laud the choices of Tan Dinh (in Rue Verneuil, behind the D'Orsay) and Jamin. Jamin is also quite romantic; Lasserre is also a nice choice if they open up the retractable roof in nice weather.

While I do not like the hotel, the restaurant at Le Bristol is very very good as well.

I love Le Cinq but I think for such an event Taillevent is the place to go. I took my Mum for a lunch there this past June and she has duly notified me she wishes to return again this year!!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
All the prior suggestions are great. Another alternative is Lucas Carton on Place de la Madeleine. Also a good choice for lunch (while most of the 3 star restaurants are not).
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
Thanks people - it sounds like we'll go for Taillevent and maybe Lucas Carton for lunch one day. Can't wait :-)
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:31 am

My wife and i had been to Taillevent several times and were there on about September 6 or so of 2001. A short time after September 11, 2001 we recieved a handwritten note from Monsieur Vrinat observing that we had been in the restaurant just recently and noting that we had an address in the NY Metro region. He expressed concern that we and our family were safe after the tragedy and expressed his condolences for the country as a whole and his view that the United States had the support of himself and all of France in the aftermath of the incidence. We were stunned, and quite appreciative of his concern. My wife as it turned out worked in WTC 1 but she was out of he office on the 11th at a meeting in another part of town.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Feb 8, 2006 at 10:58 am
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:32 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by number_6
All the prior suggestions are great. Another alternative is Lucas Carton on Place de la Madeleine. Also a good choice for lunch (while most of the 3 star restaurants are not).
Taillevent is open for lunch.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Taillevent is open for lunch.
As is Pierre Gagnaire. In fact, Pierre Gagnaire, which is a couple blocks from Taillevent has one of the greatest lunch specials on the face of the earth. It is a special tasting lunch for about 90 or 100 Euros per person and it is wonderful.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:43 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The lunch deal at Pierre Gagnaire, Le Cinq, and Taillevent are all excellent deals.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by luxury
The lunch deal at Pierre Gagnaire, Le Cinq, and Taillevent are all excellent deals.
How is the waitlist for those three? I'm thinking of something inspired by this rose colored thread. Could the experts summarize some words on cooking style?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.