Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for 4 hours in CDG w/ kids?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAA
Advice for 4 hours in CDG w/ kids?

(I know this isn't the Children forum, but I thought I'd find more knowledge here...)

My wife, 2 kids & and I are traveling AF o'nite from ATL to CDG in mid-June, where we pass customs (I assume) and xfr to Cityjet for our second leg to Dublin. 4 hours from scheduled arrival (0630) to scheduled departure (1015), with a 3-year-old boy and a 6-year-old girl.

Any advice on what to do / not to do, where to go / not to go, eat / not to eat during time there? I have no idea what to expect in terms of delays, terminal changes, etc. This is their first long-haul air trip (although they've taken four 10-hour car trips). Couldn't find much help on the CDG website.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I gather you'll take AF 301 and you'll arrive at Terminal 2C. Depending on traffic, you'll either get a gate but more than often, the plane will stay on the apron and you'll arrive to the terminal by bus.

I still gather you'll take AF 5004 afterwardsand that flight will leave from Terminal 2F.

You will have plenty of time to switch terminals. As soon as you'll arrive you will have to go through security and then transfer by bus to terminal 2F. Make sure your luggage is checked through to DUB.

Here the plan of 2F (PDF File)

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/R...97e-cdg2ef.pdf

Here the plan of 2C (PDF File)

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/R...f-cdg2abcd.pdf

Passport control differs from day to day. But it is just a formality that will take only a few seconds, nothing to compare with the US immigration.

Have a good flight.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by justaservant
(I know this isn't the Children forum, but I thought I'd find more knowledge here...)

My wife, 2 kids & and I are traveling AF o'nite from ATL to CDG in mid-June, where we pass customs (I assume) and xfr to Cityjet for our second leg to Dublin. 4 hours from scheduled arrival (0630) to scheduled departure (1015), with a 3-year-old boy and a 6-year-old girl.

Any advice on what to do / not to do, where to go / not to go, eat / not to eat during time there? I have no idea what to expect in terms of delays, terminal changes, etc. This is their first long-haul air trip (although they've taken four 10-hour car trips). Couldn't find much help on the CDG website.

I dont want to seem out of line here....but is there NO way you can use Continental or Delta? This is an awful schedule for small kids. Despite your past advice, if you're not truly experienced international travelers, NOTHING at CDG is easy.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbkenney
I dont want to seem out of line here....but is there NO way you can use Continental or Delta? This is an awful schedule for small kids. Despite your past advice, if you're not truly experienced international travelers, NOTHING at CDG is easy.
Thanks (you're not out of line ) but it's a done deal. We actually made our reservations through Delta and were set up with their partner, AF. It was a matter of timing and cheapest fares, I'm afraid.

Yes, the schedule sucks (pardon my -- er -- okay, so it's not French, really... ). That's a big part of the reason I'm trying to get information from others familiar with CDG so as to ameliorate our circumstances. Any info would be appreciated -- thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the terminals -- just that in itself is really helpful.

Knowing that, I wonder if you can recommend a place to crash? Having read lots of other posts here about CDG, I'm interested in a place that's not too filthy , has a little bit of space where we can just sit (chairs are nice but not necessary) where the kids might be able to catch a few Z's, and perhaps not terribly far from a restroom. Would we do better to hang at 2C and start moving towards 2F around 9am? Or is 2F better suited for situations like ours, so that we should head there as soon as we deplane?

I also saw someone recommend the restaurant inside the Sheraton and/or the Brasserie Flo. I noticed they said it was a bit pricey, but it may be worth the expense for us if it provides a decent, non-smelly, quiet place to hang for a bit between flights (yes, I know we'd have to purchase some food there...

Your thoughts? TIA --
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:27 am
In Memoriam

If you go directly to the gate, you'll find yourself in a sort of waiting lounge right after security. The seats are modern but comfortable and there is enough space for children, even adults to stretch and catch a nap until all the other passengers show up. This would be the only place where you'll find (relative) quietness until you take off for the next leg.
The brasserie Flo is noisy and the chairs are not made to sleep....
Did you get my email?

Last edited by magexpect; Jun 12, 2005 at 2:29 am Reason: add a question
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magexpect
...Did you get my email?
Nope, sorry -- I didn't have the email options toggled on my profile. I've changed it now -- would you mind re-sending?

Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Thanks (you're not out of line ) but it's a done deal. We actually made our reservations through Delta and were set up with their partner, AF. It was a matter of timing and cheapest fares, I'm afraid.

Yes, the schedule sucks (pardon my -- er -- okay, so it's not French, really... ). That's a big part of the reason I'm trying to get information from others familiar with CDG so as to ameliorate our circumstances. Any info would be appreciated -- thanks.
You'll make it work and after its all over getting to Ireland will have been worth it. 4 hours is a gray area for leaving the airport for a nearby hotel. Could go either way. The Hilton at CDG is nice. Day rate room, 2 hour nap for everyone?? If your travel dates are during Paris airshow, that might not be an option. Call ahead.

By the way, its a pleasure to talk to someone who can use ameliorate in a sentence, and welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:34 pm
In Memoriam

Nope, sorry -- I didn't have the email options toggled on my profile. I've changed it now -- would you mind re-sending?

Thanks.
Sorry I cannot send the email again. I had answered yours and now both disappeared... A mystery.

My mail was an extension of the post about the terminals and so on. Here some of the things I mentioned:
It will be breakfast time when you arrive and as I suppose you will not have lounge access, I intended to direct you to one of the food outlets in either terminal and get something there. There is one called "au bon pain" that serves very good croissants as well as all variations, filled with chocolate or ham or salads, etc.
Don't try to get an American breakfast, it'll be unedible. Stick to the fresh baguettes (bread) jam and butter. If you order coffee, just ask for "café au lait grande tasse" if you like your coffee with milk or just grande tasse if its a black one. Many Americans are not used to the tiny cups one usually gets as well as the strength of the coffee, not recommendable for children anyway.
Warm chocolates can be quite good also, but beware, they are different than the ones in the US. They are made with black chocolate and are a little coarser and one has to stir everytime before drinking.. . Get milk only in cartons.
I was also advising you to travel light and have as little carry-on as possible. But in your carry on, don't forget to get a roll of toilet paper as well as some fluid soap.
Restrooms at Roissy tend to be a mess at all times, but especially in the morning, they can be quite filthy and as such suddenly lack in paper and soap. So beware.
I don't remember what I wrote otherwise but if other questions arise, just PM me (will be easier than email)
Otherwise, have a good trip and you'll see, you'll be fine.

Last edited by magexpect; Jun 12, 2005 at 2:40 pm Reason: corrections
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks for the info on the terminals -- just that in itself is really helpful.

Knowing that, I wonder if you can recommend a place to crash? Having read lots of other posts here about CDG, I'm interested in a place that's not too filthy , has a little bit of space where we can just sit (chairs are nice but not necessary) where the kids might be able to catch a few Z's, and perhaps not terribly far from a restroom. Would we do better to hang at 2C and start moving towards 2F around 9am? Or is 2F better suited for situations like ours, so that we should head there as soon as we deplane?

I also saw someone recommend the restaurant inside the Sheraton and/or the Brasserie Flo. I noticed they said it was a bit pricey, but it may be worth the expense for us if it provides a decent, non-smelly, quiet place to hang for a bit between flights (yes, I know we'd have to purchase some food there...

Your thoughts? TIA --
I believe having breakfast at the Sheraton, which is on the way from 2C to 2F, would be the most restful way to spend part of your waiting time at CDG2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.