Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Days in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Re:restaurants

Try Le Pre-Verre, 8 rue Thenard in the 5th. Great, inexpensive prix fixe.

Last edited by willie--wonka; Feb 25, 2005 at 9:21 pm Reason: error
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG Gold, UA Premier Silver
Great thread! I actually had a similar trip to Paris with my mom in January. (She's 60, I'm 26...we also stayed for a 4-day weekend!) We took advantage of the Air France special and it included hotel (Hotel Duminy Vendome in the 1st). Definitely a good deal! We did the Carte Musees also, which we thought was great. I'd been to Paris before, a couple of times, but it was my mother's first time.

Other than the stuff already talked about above (major museums, bateaux mouches, etc.), we particularly enjoyed walking around the Marais. Don't miss Place des Vosges. The Picasso museum and Rodin museum were quite interesting. Also the Bastille had a huge outdoor market on Sunday that was really fun to walk through. Shopping (mostly window shopping) was a great experience -- the grands magasins are such a unique Paris experience.

Even though we were there in January, the weather was quite nice and good for walking around. I see the OP is from New York, and you probably won't find the bitter cold feels-like-minus-20 weather of the recent east coast winters in Paris unless you're really really unlucky. We thought it was really warm in Paris the week we were there, in comparison to Boston (even though it was cold enough to snow! Go figure.)

If you splurge on a fancy dinner one night, I'd highly recommend Georges in the Pompidou Center. We had a great table with a view of the Eiffel tower!

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Some suggestions.

Get the following books:
Food Lovers Guide to Paris
Bistro Cooking

Both by Patricia Wells. A couple years old so a few places might have closed but I find her to be great on restaurant recommendations from a little bistro owned by two sisters near the Eiffel Tower that was about $40 for dinner for 2 with wine to the real expensive place. Used her suggestions for nearly 10 years and been pleased.

Hang out as much as possible in the area around Rue de St. Germaine from about the church (St. Germaine) diagonally over to Notre Dame.

Check out a "little museum" the Museum of the Middle Ages. It is in an old monestary (convent maybe) and was also built on top of Roman baths which are in the basement. It houses a fantastic tapestry, "The Lady and the Unicorn".

For a not too expensive splurge meal try the lunch special (at least they used to have it) at Pierre Gagnaire. It is fantastic and last time I had it about $70 per person. This at a place where a friend buying me lunch onn another occassion insisted on buying the full course lunch for the two of us instead of the special. The full course topped out at a shade over 1000 Euros (not including the 300 Euros in cigars and cognac after lunch that I paid for). A problem with being drunk and having credit cards I suppose. But in any case, the lunch special is a huge deal if they still have it.

For an expensive splurge meal, Taillevent for lunch (cheaper) or dinner. Spectacular doesnt describe it adequately. Alternately the full service at Pierre Gagnaire.

We have also really enjoyed some of the wine bars around Paris. There is a chain whose name I forget. But they have a nice selection of wines by the glass and appetizer like foods. Good place to hang out and rest a bit. One is quite near Notre Dame, on the Left Bank on the street along the river.

If you like oysters there are some fantastic places for them in Paris. Have them with sausages.

Some "tourist" places are too good to avoid in my opinion. Les Deux Magot and Cafe de Flore are among them. Definately something to do at least once, although I find myself going back.

Check out the fruits and other food for sale at Fauchon. Also near there are 1 or 2 incredible chocolate stores. Maybe locals can fill in the names (Maison du Chocolate perhaps?).

Have tea at Mariage Frere. Beats English tea hands down in my opinion.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
Arrow Taking similar trip...need some suggestions, please

Hello. I am taking a similar trip. I am taking my Mom (age 59) on a mother-son trip to Paris. We arrive early on Sunday 3/6 and depart Wednesday 3/9. I have been once before and she has never been.

We are flying into CDG and are staying at the Sofitel Paris Bercy hotel, which according to the website is located near Metro stations COUR ST EMILION and BERCY.

1. Should I buy the Paris visite pass for the RER/subway? If so, I would have to buy the 5 day pass (45 euro) because the 3 day would not cover us since we need to return to the airport on the 4th day. So, if getting to/from CDG would cost about 17 euro by itself (round-trip), then how much does Versailles cost on the RER? If it costs a lot, then we'll probably just get the visite pass but if not too much, we'll go with the carnets and avoid the pass.

2. Should I buy the museum pass if a lot of the museums are free on Sunday the 6th like was mentioned? We want to go to Versailles & Louvre for sure but other than that are pretty open. We would have to pay on Monday & Tuesday, I suppose. Our flight is too early on Wednesday for us to do anything that day.

3. What is near our hotel that is good to see or good to eat?

I want to plan an enjoyable trip for my mom; thanks for any help you can provide...

Last edited by ScottTexas; Feb 25, 2005 at 4:31 pm
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Re:what to see

The Cour St.Emilion is a restored village that once was on the outskirts of the city. Now the old stone buildings are full of trendy modern shops and restaurants.Worth a quick browse.Resonances, for example, has wonderful paints, waxes, and restoration project goods. Unless there is something exciting at the Bercy stadium, I can't think of much else in the immediate neighborhood, but the metro makes it easy to get anywhere else in Paris.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:37 am

ScottTexas, If it were me on that short of a stay I wouldn't buy any passes, especially if you plan to take advantage of the free museum Sunday. You would have to spend a lot to buy a transport pass for extended zones to take you from the airport, to center, then out to Versailles. Buy a carnet of 10 tickets and pay for the train RER as you go. Then you have some flexibility. You and your mother may enjoy a nicer way of getting from the airport to your accommodations then the RER.

Bercy is not far from my favorite Paris food area--Chinatown. Get off at Place d'Italia Metro 6 and walk south, make a large triangle back to your origin. If you prefer spicy, healthier food, the choice is amazing and very reasonable. IMHO French food is generally boring. You can jump back on Metro 6 to take you to the Eiffel and the Arc. Also, Metro 6 can drop you off at the Eiffel for the river cruise which is a great way to see the layout of Paris and the lights in the evening. It leaves at 6 pm and the cost is nominal.

You are well located to transportation and should be able to get about easily.

All of the above are dependent on the weather which has been freezing of late.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
All of this great information makes me yearn for a mileage run to Paris! Cheers, and have a great trip.

FDuvall
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:26 pm

my paris trip ...4 days

1st day: arrived at CDG in the morning, took train to hotel in the heart of paris near luxomberg...great place to be...surrounded by resturants, live at night, good area, a bit expensive hotels but can find good deal. I booked 1 week b4 my trip in mid-may'04, could get deal for $130/day in a 4 1/2 star Hotel luxomberg on Expedia.
we got reday, had lunch in near by rest and took underground to effile tower.
yes buy more train tkts together..comes out cheap. I think if u buy around 20 tkts it cot 1 euro/tkt.

b4 going to effile tower we enjoyed gardens downstairs. If you can buy tkts online for tower, you will save some time as it costed us atleast half an hr and than another half hr to take flight up. we also enjoyed walking from 1st to 2nd level...its fun as long as u do not mind clmbing stairs.

as suggested in many articles and online, we decided to be on top of tower in day time and stay till night. both the views have its own pleasure.
do not forget to take some warm cloth so u can be up for long.

2nd day: we wanted to view Arc-de tromhe also in day and night view so we started and ended day at same place, but I think it was waste of time.

we went arc de tromphe in the morning and walked to Port Alexander 3, it is great walk..suggested by many authors. on the way 1st great resturants, than real;ly best shops...you can walk around some of them...all r real expensive and many designerwears...was fun going there.

than we walked ahead and took boat-ride which takes u all around city. It was fun and relaxing after walk. there are some rides takes place in the night with dinner n all, but being vegetarian that was not suitable to us. I am not sure how is night exp, but w eenjoyed day-ride n I will say plz do not miss on this.

after the boat ride, took underground and went back to Arc de tromph, had dinner in one of those French rest. best part is both of u seat side-by-side facing the people in open air. It was good experience. after dinner walked up to Arc and enjoyed night view, spend some time up and that was end of Day 2.

we wanted our trip to be preety relaxing, but could have added one of the museam visit by either cancel walk in the city or by making our day longer, but opted not to do so.

3rd day: We began morning at Notre-dame. there was a big que too in order to buy tkts and go up. I am not really sure if you can buy those tkts in advance. 1st went up, saw the big bell and than view from up. i would not say it was greatest. came down. Inside the church great stain-paintings. outside-great carvings. I liked inside part better here.

on the way we took some handy lunch and went to Lovre museam. Find out ways to get into Lovre quickly by avoiding entry from main entrance...can buy tkts in advance..will save some time. We took a guided tour..was very helpful..take u to all main areas and than u r on ur own.

I love going to museums, but my husband don't so we kind of took only guidede tour. Also, we did not go to d'orsay ...but if u r really interested so go. as louvre and d'orsey are most recommonded. I would also go to picasso if get chance.

in the evening on our way back, we went to luxomberg gardens near by hotel and than came back to Hotel ..got ready and went to Moulin Rouge. It is most recoo so we choose ...but there are many others which are good. You can also choose to have dinner. It is a bit exp, but worth the exp to remeber paris trip for life time. cost atleast half an hr to recah there from mid-city.

4th day: left in the morn for versailles. It takes around 1 hr to go there. It is great well not as good as buckingham, I mean inside palace is not very well-mainatined. Hall of mirror was also not as grt as we see in pics, but they were repairing it when we wnet, so hopefully it is better now. last gallary where they have lots of great paintings is really good. best part of this place was gardens. unfortunately you will have to buy seperate tkts to go in the gardens, but it is really worth it.

After this we had late lunch and went back to city. spend evening visiting some gardens and shopping and saying good-buy to city.

5th day: morning left for CDG and took flight ....

Paris is great city to be. we are city-lovers, can easily spend some more days and I bet you will have romantic memories for life-time.

also enjoy coffee, breads,pies and many other bake items

enjoy alot

hope this will help
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:29 pm

mother/daughter paris trip

We just got back from Paris last week. We spent 5 days at Paris and 4 days at London. We stayed at Le Meridien Montpartness - across from the metro/train station. I would definitely recommend the AirFrance bus to CDG and back. It is easy. It was right across the street from our hotel. My daughter is 7, so I had packed 1 big suite case. The accessiblity when you carrying a suite case isn't very good with Paris Metro. There were lots of stairs to navigate at the Montpartness station.

We bought Museum pass for 5 days, carnet of 10 metro tickets, bought separte RER train ticket to Versailles. There weren't much a line for anything when we were there. A little bit of one at the Lourve. Definitely a crowd at Mona Lisa.

Food wise, we just stopped at cafe when we were hungry. We weren't looking for fancy food; so, it was good for us.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by titi818an
We just got back from Paris last week. We spent 5 days at Paris and 4 days at London. We stayed at Le Meridien Montpartness - across from the metro/train station. I would definitely recommend the AirFrance bus to CDG and back. It is easy. It was right across the street from our hotel. My daughter is 7, so I had packed 1 big suite case. The accessiblity when you carrying a suite case isn't very good with Paris Metro. There were lots of stairs to navigate at the Montpartness station.

We bought Museum pass for 5 days, carnet of 10 metro tickets, bought separte RER train ticket to Versailles. There weren't much a line for anything when we were there. A little bit of one at the Lourve. Definitely a crowd at Mona Lisa.

Food wise, we just stopped at cafe when we were hungry. We weren't looking for fancy food; so, it was good for us.
How was the weather? Im leaving tomorrow for Paris.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:48 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by danceswithsunlight
How was the weather? Im leaving tomorrow for Paris.
Cold !!! Like most of Europe right now , with temperatures around the freezing point. I´m going there saturday myself.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:01 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Its been quite cold, down into the mid 20s at night. We have also had the occassional snow flurry. It snowed some last night so there are patches of snow about.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: SPG HHonors
Originally Posted by cph_flyer
Cold !!! Like most of Europe right now , with temperatures around the freezing point. I´m going there saturday myself.
So am I!!! ^ I'll see you on the Champs Elysse.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:15 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by ScottTexas
So am I!!! ^ I'll see you on the Champs Elysse.
Yep - see you there,and have a nice flight ^
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:44 am
MCB

Programs: UA former 1P, WN A-List, Hyatt Pt, HH Au, Marriott Ag, SPG Pt, Accor Pt, IHG
How is the Meridien Montparnasse these days? I stayed there in 1990 with my girlfriend at the time, and I liked it but she didn't (she thought it was too modern and not "Parisian" enough, although the view from our room was awesome). So we moved to the Lutetia, which was very nice, and I have stayed there 3x since then. Last month, though, I had a whole week, so I rented an apartment through a great service called RothRay (www.rothray.com), more about that in another thread some time.

By the way, if you download the PDF file of cybercafes, please note a few of them are no longer in existence. The nearest one to where I was staying, the Cafe Orbital on rue de Medicis in the 6th Arr., is now something else. As it turned out there was intermittent free wi-fi in my apt. due to a neighbor, so that was cool. Next trip I'll definitely stay with RothRay again, or else another apartment, possibly via VRBO (www.vrbo.com).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.