Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugged in Paris Metro.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by Ndsleep612
I ran into some pickpockets pulling the old sauce squirt scam this past week in the Tuileries Garden area. The pickpockets are resorting to this because it's harder for them to steal wallets with people wearing larger jackets and hidden pockets.
What is the old sauce squirt scam?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Squirt something on you and then assist you in wiping it off. Lets them touch you and get empty all your pockets while you concentrate on the sauce. Usually passed off as bird poo or some such. Originated in Rome.

The more common Paris metro trick is the sudden stop. Perp gets in front of you, lets you close and then stops while his mate then runs into you from behind or from opposite direction as you step out from behind the stopped one.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by bankops
Squirt something on you and then assist you in wiping it off. Lets them touch you and get empty all your pockets while you concentrate on the sauce. Usually passed off as bird poo or some such. Originated in Rome.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of that. The only scam really I saw was in Paris with the fake gold ring bit.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Always good to have two wallets so that if robbed and required to hand over something, you still have another wallet. Or put money or credit card in an envelope and stick it in a bra or t-shirt pocket with a shirt over it.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
Do you carry two wallets at home?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by kerouac2
Do you carry two wallets at home?
Three wallets are better. If you're robbed twice, you still have another.
Mountain Trader and Boraxo like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Always good to have two wallets so that if robbed and required to hand over something, you still have another wallet. Or put money or credit card in an envelope and stick it in a bra or t-shirt pocket with a shirt over it.
I used to do this in NYC in the '80s, but never once had a need to use my second wallet. As noted above the issue is not really mugging (which by definition is someone forcibly taking your wallet by threat or assault) as opposed to pickpocketing, which is generally non-violent theft. You can fight the latter by remaining vigilent and placing valuables in harder-to-access locations. I suppose you could have some fun by carrying a wallet with expired/cancelled credit cards and maybe some worthless Venezuelan bolivars, but really is it worth the trouble?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.