Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugged in Paris Metro.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:03 pm

Simlilar incident

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Has anyone been a victim of robbery in the Metro? We were there last weekend. I will post the details later. I was held down on an escalator while my wallet was separated from me. In the end it all worked out since I did get my wallet back.

See the posting I entered today.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:05 pm

It seems to be a matter of luck and I'm paying attention with all these warnings and incidents. Please keep them coming as I read them to my husband. He mostly pooh poohs the warnings. He doesn't carry a wallet.

Did you have your wallet in your back pocket? To me, that seems like saying "pick my pocket".

We've ridden the Metro at night fairly often. So far no problems. I witnessed the escalator sandwich pickpocket trick (daylight) but realized it after the fact. Had one crazed looking guy (daylight) who seemed to have someone chasing him get on the metro, talk loudly to anyone who would listen. He got off at the next stop and we weren't sure what that was all about.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA,DL,AA and Marriott Silver
I have read somewhere that men are using decoy wallets in there back pockets (just a plain wallet with nothing in it) and putting there wallet with there money in it some where else, front pants pocket. Money belts are a good idea too. My parents go cruising every year and to Europe every other year and the money belt has worked good for them. I guess all the trips I took in Europe, I was very lucky. I have been mistaken for German or Dutch alot of the time.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by prapitts
My wife and I were victims last night of the escalator sqeeze and in reading the postings here we see pattern that is more than just the squeeze.
We were transferring at the Opera metro about 10:00pm. I should say we are familiar with Paris and the metro and are often mistaken for Parisians. As we approached our platform entrance a man told us the platform was closed. Our only way out was an up escalator. My wife went first but we were talking and didn't walk up the escalator as most Parisians do. As we reached the top a man stepped between my wife and I allowing her to pass before he "dropped" something thus blocking my way. A man pushed up against me from behind. My wife yellled at me to "get out of there". I kneeded the man infront of me who rolled away and started to walk away. I had a bag of bath products and was able to hit him rather hard in the face most likeely breaking his nose. Another man, who we later figured out was the man behind me, started to pickup the stuff that had fallen out of my bag. The man I hit had fallen and was quite sstunned when he got up off the floor. My wife and I were both yelling. Here's where the new pattern emerges. Two young men came from opposite directions asking us what happened. The two assailants fled in opposite directions. The two young men took of after them. Shortly one of them returned with my wallet, gave it to me and left. The second man then appeared and apologized that he couldn't catch them. He hung around. Here again is where the new pattern emerges. He waited while I checked my wallet. Everything was there (I don't arry cash in my wallet---only my front left pocket. I thanked him again and my wife and I made our way to the platform where a number of people were wating for the metro. It was then that I noticed that the one man who helped us was now on the other side of the tracks heading in the opposite direction. After reading the postings here I'm convinced that he was not a "good samaritan" but part of the scam. When they relaized there was no money in my wallet they returned hoping that I might offer a reward. They could then get a look at my cash of my wife's and maybe hit us again. Either way we learned a lesson. It's only the second time in five trips to Paris that we have taken the mtro at night---never again. I'm just glad that we are safe, my wallet retunred and at least one of them walked away with a swollen face.
I hope his nose remains out of place for the rest of his mortal life.

By the way, I have found that taking a few pictures of possible perpetrators and putting the camera in your inside jacket pocket thereafter seems to make them disappear quickly.

... and some of my friends with whom I was travelling with in Italy thought I was crazy to snap pictures with the digital camera of some men standing around with newspapers in their hands on the day when the trains were on strike and we were on the phone trying to arrive at alternative transportation.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
It was about 7:00 P.M. when we were switiching from line 10 to line 6 at La Motte Pickcquet Grenelle to go back to our hotel.
I know this station well. I went to school in Paris and commuted every day from Cite Universitaire to La Motte Picquet Grenelle. I'd like to mention that not all sections of the RER are dangerous. For example, during the morning commute, the RER sections which are wholly within the city are fairly safe. I was fortunate in that I was never a victim of crime in Paris. And, I often took the trains at night. But, I always figured that a young fit man would not be a good target for the thieves. I also think that in general it is best when tourists try to blend in somewhat. For example, a family of english speaking people riding the Paris metro during the middle of the day (when most people are at work) is certainly vulnerable. One suggestion in Paris is to walk rather than use metro. When I was there last January, I stayed at the Sofitel across the street from Buddha Bar. It was a very safe area - diplomatic security at each end of the street - and I was able to walk to nearly every tourist site.

Last edited by rives21; Mar 3, 2005 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond
What y'all need is a currency colostomy bag.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0356150/

Note: You'll have to watch the movie to get it.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
So glad you and the family came through this safely. I must count myself as lucky -- only mugged once, in front of my house in Houston 30 years ago. But, good warning about being more careful as I travel.
tom
Usually, people get mugged when they or not onj guard. One feels comfortable near one's house and elts the guard down. I have had my pocket picked twice in my years of travel, although attempts have been made many more times. Both times I got my money back. Now that's something not many can say.

I noticed some posts by people with suprior attitudes because they haven't been mugged. How sad they chose this forum to feel supeiror.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Yaatri probably figured with those tight jeans, it wouldn't be a problem.

When I started traveling a lot a couple of years ago, I stopped carrying a wallet. I got one of those leather money clips that have a window for an id and space for a couple of credit cards and carry it in my front pocket. It certainly makes it more difficult for a pickpocket, since most of the time I wear jeans. However, it's true if you are stopped by a couple of guys and threatened, it doesn't matter where you carry your money.
This happened less than two years ago but it seems like such a long time ago. SO muich happened in 2005 that it's all a fog. Time for a quick trip to Paris again. Tight jeans or not, I like my wallet in my hip pocket.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prapitts
My wife and I were victims last night of the escalator sqeeze and in reading the postings here we see pattern that is more than just the squeeze.
We were transferring at the Opera metro about 10:00pm. I should say we are familiar with Paris and the metro and are often mistaken for Parisians. As we approached our platform entrance a man told us the platform was closed. Our only way out was an up escalator. My wife went first but we were talking and didn't walk up the escalator as most Parisians do. As we reached the top a man stepped between my wife and I allowing her to pass before he "dropped" something thus blocking my way. A man pushed up against me from behind. My wife yellled at me to "get out of there". I kneeded the man infront of me who rolled away and started to walk away. I had a bag of bath products and was able to hit him rather hard in the face most likeely breaking his nose. Another man, who we later figured out was the man behind me, started to pickup the stuff that had fallen out of my bag. The man I hit had fallen and was quite sstunned when he got up off the floor. My wife and I were both yelling. Here's where the new pattern emerges. Two young men came from opposite directions asking us what happened. The two assailants fled in opposite directions. The two young men took of after them. Shortly one of them returned with my wallet, gave it to me and left. The second man then appeared and apologized that he couldn't catch them. He hung around. Here again is where the new pattern emerges. He waited while I checked my wallet. Everything was there (I don't arry cash in my wallet---only my front left pocket. I thanked him again and my wife and I made our way to the platform where a number of people were wating for the metro. It was then that I noticed that the one man who helped us was now on the other side of the tracks heading in the opposite direction. After reading the postings here I'm convinced that he was not a "good samaritan" but part of the scam. When they relaized there was no money in my wallet they returned hoping that I might offer a reward. They could then get a look at my cash of my wife's and maybe hit us again. Either way we learned a lesson. It's only the second time in five trips to Paris that we have taken the mtro at night---never again. I'm just glad that we are safe, my wallet retunred and at least one of them walked away with a swollen face.
I actually had a few hundred Euros in my wallet including hundred and fifties.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:29 pm

Unhappy

Has anyone been a victim of robbery in the Metro? We were there last weekend. I will post the details later. I was held down on an escalator while my wallet was separated from me. In the end it all worked out since I did get my wallet back.
In my earlier years, and naietivity at that, my first trip to Europe, I had spent the summer throughout Europe via a first class Eurail pass. When I got to Paris, I had boarded the Metro to travel to the Palace of Versailles. Much to my misfortune, the Metro to Versaille does not go to the palace. so when I realized that, I waited to reboard the Metro for the correct stationoesWhen the subway arrived, the doorway was crowded and almost blocked. I struggled to get myself inside the door before it closed in on me. When I finally sat down, I noticed the zipper pocket of my bag open and my wallet containing my passport, money, credit cards, etc., missing. Apparently, this is one of the ruses that these thieves use to rob you. In any event, I had to go through the American Embassy to get another passport. The only identification I had was a photocopy of my passport and my airline ticket which were in my suitcase at the hotel. The Consulate was even questionable as to my US citizenship, back then... 1978. Viva la France

I have since visited Paris many times since 1978 with an abundance of caution. I would say Paris is up there as well as Barcelona for pickpocket/thieves.

Last edited by Debora; Oct 18, 2006 at 7:21 pm
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Debora
In my earlier years, and naietivity at that, my first trip to Europe, I had spent the summer throughout Europe via a first class Eurail pass. When I got to Paris, I had boarded the Metro to travel to the Palace of Versailles. Much to my misfortune, the Metro to Versaille does not go to the palace. so when I realized that, I waited to reboard the Metro for the correct stationoesWhen the subway arrived, the doorway was crowded and almost blocked. I struggled to get myself inside the door before it closed in on me. When I finally sat down, I noticed the zipper pocket of my bag open and my wallet containing my passport, money, credit cards, etc., missing. Apparently, this is one of the ruses that these thieves use to rob you. In any event, I had to go through the American Embassy to get another passport. The only identification I had was a photocopy of my passport and my airline ticket which were in my suitcase at the hotel. The Consulate was even questionable as to my US citizenship, back then... 1978. Viva la France

I have since visited Paris many times since 1978 with an abundance of caution. I would say Paris is up there as well as Barcelona for pickpocket/thieves.
In America, people are generally well insulated from petty crimes because of their automobiles. Other than sports events most people, excepting those living in big cities and ho use public transport, have never been in crowds. In Prague, we caught the culprit(s) almost red handed a 4 or five times, rwice, the same person. We there only a week. Losing your passport would be a nightmare.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
In America, people are generally well insulated from petty crimes because of their automobiles. Other than sports events most people, excepting those living in big cities and ho use public transport, have never been in crowds. In Prague, we caught the culprit(s) almost red handed a 4 or five times, rwice, the same person. We there only a week. Losing your passport would be a nightmare.
Even cars aren't immune from being broken into. That is why it is good to have a copy of your passport photo page somewhere else, such as the hotel. Or, post a copy of it to a web email account and you can retrieve it yourself if you have to, in a pinch, to convince the consul that 'you are who you say you are'. I'm pretty paranoid about my passport when overseas. The front pocket thing usually works, when I remember to do it. I don't know a thief who could pull it from there, with my hand comfortably resting on it.

That said, I've never (knock on wood) had my wallet get jacked.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etch5895
Even cars aren't immune from being broken into. That is why it is good to have a copy of your passport photo page somewhere else, such as the hotel. Or, post a copy of it to a web email account and you can retrieve it yourself if you have to, in a pinch, to convince the consul that 'you are who you say you are'. I'm pretty paranoid about my passport when overseas. The front pocket thing usually works, when I remember to do it. I don't know a thief who could pull it from there, with my hand comfortably resting on it.

That said, I've never (knock on wood) had my wallet get jacked.
I didn't mean that cars are immune or that people should leave thier passports or wallets in their cars. What I said was that since most people in America do not not use public transport, they do not encounter pick-pockets very much. Mugging is not uncommon though.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't mean that cars are immune or that people should leave thier passports or wallets in their cars. What I said was that since most people in America do not not use public transport, they do not encounter pick-pockets very much. Mugging is not uncommon though.

around 20% of the people in DC area(where you live) commute by public transportation.

I'm not certain but what the very confident also get hit. they just won't admit it.

driving a car with out of country plates in france, italy really gets it targeted. we had 3 car break ins in france with belgian plates. (over about 6 years and 15 trips)

florida quit using unique(R) tags on rentals because they were so heavily targeted. I think the same for MD and VA. I do notice rental agency stickers on a few of the cars comming out of BWI and IAD. Nothing noticable on the DFW cars at all.

the police in PG county(where you live) just busted 3 people for stealing purses out of cars at gas stations. Person would get out to pump gas, and the kids would grab and run. I always keep dogs in my car to prevent this issue.

we look old and feeble, we have been attacked by pick pockets in europe at least half a dozen times. we wear those under garment wallets.

You wear tight jeans and wallet in back pocket at a packed DCA luggage turnstile and survive pickpocket, I think the pickpockets think you to be a setup
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
around 20% of the people in DC area(where you live) commute by public transportation.

I'm not certain but what the very confident also get hit. they just won't admit it.

driving a car with out of country plates in france, italy really gets it targeted. we had 3 car break ins in france with belgian plates. (over about 6 years and 15 trips)

florida quit using unique(R) tags on rentals because they were so heavily targeted. I think the same for MD and VA. I do notice rental agency stickers on a few of the cars comming out of BWI and IAD. Nothing noticable on the DFW cars at all.

the police in PG county(where you live) just busted 3 people for stealing purses out of cars at gas stations. Person would get out to pump gas, and the kids would grab and run. I always keep dogs in my car to prevent this issue.

we look old and feeble, we have been attacked by pick pockets in europe at least half a dozen times. we wear those under garment wallets.

You wear tight jeans and wallet in back pocket at a packed DCA luggage turnstile and survive pickpocket, I think the pickpockets think you to be a setup
And your point is? 20% of people using publick transport is a large number? Many of these 20 % use it to go to work. There are places in this world where people use public transport for everything. And I mean everything, including going to school, work, shopping and even airport.

Anyone can get hit. Those who are confident, just have been lucky. Citing stuff stolen from cars is irrelevant as that is not the issue here. When you are driving ont he beltway, you just aren't going to encounter a pick pocket as you would if you were on the metro. The metro is crowded only during the rush hour, and not at all stations. Comparing DC metro with publick transport in other parts of the world is not a proper comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.