Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Hebdomadaire Carte Orange vs. Visite?

Old Nov 14, 04, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM

Heading to Paris this week and trying to make sense of the public transit passes. We'll be taking the Roissybus into the city on Thursday, using the Metro while there, then returning to CDG on the RER B line on Sunday.

Is a Zone 1-5 Hebdomadaire Carte Orange valid for the Roissybus and RER as well as the Metro? If so, it appears to be the better value at EUR 30.20 vs. EUR 45.70 for a 5 day Visite pass.

Do they sell the Hebdomadaire at the info desk in CDG near door 30? Do we have to supply photos for the pass? Will we be able to buy a Hebdomadaire for the current week on Thursday?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Old Nov 14, 04, 10:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by bikenski
Heading to Paris this week and trying to make sense of the public transit passes. We'll be taking the Roissybus into the city on Thursday, using the Metro while there, then returning to CDG on the RER B line on Sunday.

Is a Zone 1-5 Hebdomadaire Carte Orange valid for the Roissybus and RER as well as the Metro? If so, it appears to be the better value at EUR 30.20 vs. EUR 45.70 for a 5 day Visite pass.

Do they sell the Hebdomadaire at the info desk in CDG near door 30? Do we have to supply photos for the pass? Will we be able to buy a Hebdomadaire for the current week on Thursday?

Thanks in advance for any information!
I know that the Carte Orange Hebdomadaire (zone 1-5) is good for the RER to and from CDG. I don't know about the RoissyBus. However, the following text from the website does not say anything about the Carte Orange not being valid on the RoissyBus:

Ce titre permet d'utiliser tous les transports en commun d'Ile-de-France sans limitation du nombre de voyages, ceci dans un périmètre déterminé en fonction du nombre de zones choisies.

Essentially, it says that the Carte Orange allows for unlimited transportation in the RATP system within the zones indicated on the Carte Orange.

However, if you arrive on Thursday, it will not be possible to purchase a Carte Orange to use the same calendar week:

Coupon hebdomadaire : Validité du lundi au dimanche uniquement

Il peut être acheté jusqu'au mercredi pour la semaine en cours, et à partir du vendredi pour la semaine suivante (pas de vente de coupon hebdomadaire le jeudi).

http://www.citefutee.com/informer/grand_public.php

A photo would have been required for a Carte Orange. I don't know where door 30 at CDG is but they sell both the Carte Orange and the Paris Visite card at the RER/SNCF station at CDG. If you really want to buy the Paris Viste card in advance, you can buy it here:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa...ris_visite.htm

But I would just wait until you arrive into CDG. Why pay the $15 shipping fee?
Old Nov 14, 04, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
I was in Paris 2 weeks ago and we had the Visite cards delivered to the hotel for $8. If you can wait just buy it at any of the Metro stations as from what I could tell they are available everywhere and are good for consecutive days in a row whereas the other card I BELIEVE is only good M-F (I think) which is why we opted for the Visite.

On a side note, for whatever reason, my friends Visite card only worked for 2 days in a row (mine worked fine) , then it stopped working and every time we started the day and tried it for the next few days it said it wasn't any good and we always had to get a new card from the station attendant. Kinda annoying and thank god we had another friend there that spoke French who could interpret our dilemma.
Old Nov 15, 04, 3:03 am

Alternatively, you can buy the tickets individually, as follows:
RoissyBus from CDG: EUR 8.20
RER B back to CDG: EUR 7.70
Carnet of 10 metro/bus tickets (travel inside Paris only): EUR 10.50

Total cost/person with 10 metro tickets : EUR 26.40
Total cost/person with 20 metro tickets : EUR 36.90

In other words, if you don't need to travel outside the Paris city limits (aside from the airport transits), this would be a better deal than buying the Paris Visite card at 45.70. This also assumes that you wouldn't use the metro/bus more than ~28 times during your 3-day stay.
Old Nov 16, 04, 2:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
Is the train to downtown from Charles de Gaule faster than the bus?
Old Nov 16, 04, 10:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by PaulasPain
Is the train to downtown from Charles de Gaule faster than the bus?
According to RATP, it takes about 45 to 60 minutes on the RoissyBus from CDG to Opera.

http://www.citefutee.com/orienter/ae..._roissybus.php

The website says that the Carte Orange is accepted, as well as the Paris Visite.

I think the RER takes about 35 minutes to Gare du Nord, and I guess about 40 minutes to Chatelet. Make sure you take the express one which runs around every 15 minutes. The RER is especially convenient if your accomodations is near le Quartier Latin/St. Germain areas.
Old Nov 17, 04, 2:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
A very explanatory link. Merci, Francophile!
Old Nov 18, 04, 4:06 pm

Do not get a zone 1-5 anything... you will be paying a premium as if you are communiting from zone 5 on a daily basis. Pay the RER/Roissybus fares and otherwise use a zone 1 carte orange or carnet... Paris VISITE comes with tons of other benefits. It's up to you to decide if you want those tourist benefits... again you will pay a premium for the benefits which include museum entry etc.
Old Nov 18, 04, 11:39 pm

Sometimes there is a premium, sometimes not.

For example, Roissybus runs 8,30€, so 16,60€ roundtrip. The difference between a Zone 1-2 coupon hebdomaire and a 1-5, is less than 15€.

The difference with Paris Visite are ~19€, but if you are planning on going out to Versailles or something, that is in 4.

BillJ
Old Nov 26, 04, 1:22 am

Originally posted by Paulas Pain: "Is the train to downtown from Charles de Gaule faster than the bus?"

Allow extra time if you are going to take the RER to CDG. I did it a week and a half ago and fortunately, I didn't miss my flight. The train stopped 3 times in the middle of nowhere for a while. There was something wrong with it.

Search this Thread