Brussels from Paris for the day.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)

......any suggestions on things to do there?

In another thread I asked about taking the TGV somewhere around Paris for a day trip and I think we have pretty much decided on taking the Thalys to Brussels. Couple questions:

1) The Thalys is just another high speed train like the TGV correct? (I really want to travel on a TGV or TGV-like train).

2) If we do end up in Brussels for say 5 or 6 hours, what should we do while we're there? Or is that even enough time to do anything other than maybe eat?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old Sep 21, 2004, 3:02 pm

Yes, Thalys is a high-speed train virtually identical to TGV except for name and color scheme. It's nearly 200 miles from Paris to Brussels and the train gets there in 1hr 25 mins; you do the math.

Thalys drops you off at the south station (Midi/Zuid). Hop on any northbound train (except Thalys) and get off at Central station. Head toward the Grand Place, where there is plenty to do and see for 5-6 hours. Remember that the return train to Paris leaves from the south station, and you can hop on any southbound train from Brussels Central to get to Brussels Midi/Zuid.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of the better restaurants in the north of france are filled with people from Belgum.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:12 pm

I would suggest taking a tram (81, 82, or 92) to Place Janson and go see Musée Horta, if you like architecture/design. It is a bit south from the center of town, buy one of the things we liked the most when visiting Brussels.

http://www.hortamuseum.be/

But what kind of things do you like to do when travelling? Personally, I am the type of person who would skip eating if I was there only 5-6 hours and just eat on the train. (Eating a Scandinavia from Crock'In on the train, to be exact. Crock'In is like Belgian-Subway, but better. I ate at least one Scandinavia every day while we were there, generally while we are on a train.)

BillJ
Old Sep 22, 2004, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
The Thalys trains run every 30 minutes from Paris-Nord to Brussel-Zuid at every 25 and 55 past the hour. On weekends, the schedule is hourly at 55 past the hour.

From Brussels to Paris, the schedule is every 10 and 40 past the hour, and on weekends every 40 past the hour.

There is lots to see in Brussels.

But if you're into tennis (as I am), there is the Gaz de France tennis tournament in Hasselt, Belgium from September 27 to October 3. Hasselt is a 1 hour drive east of BRU, or a 1.5 hour train ride. See www.sport.be/gazdefrancestars/2004/fr for the tennis info.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 1:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
chocolate, the comic museum, sunday at the st.gilles farmer's market, more chocolate, walking around place st. catherine, drinking coffee, antiques market at place du grand sablon.

Horta Museum is nice, but sometimes quite crowded and a bit out of the way.

Did I mention chocolate?

lala
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:29 am

I LOVE Belgian chocolates!

Don't get too excited when you see Neuhaus, Godiva or Leonidas in Brussels. The BEST chocolate in Belgium (IMHO) is PIERRE MARCOLINI. They have few stores in Brussels and the new one (in Sablon) should be opening soon (if not already).

Originally Posted by lalala
chocolate, the comic museum, sunday at the st.gilles farmer's market, more chocolate, walking around place st. catherine, drinking coffee, antiques market at place du grand sablon.

Horta Museum is nice, but sometimes quite crowded and a bit out of the way.

Did I mention chocolate?

lala
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:47 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
They are moving the sablon store? I think the one at the Conrad is less picked over. If you really want something, go there.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:15 am

Thumbs up For lastminute trips

If you can do lastminute trip, then get online on www.sncf.com and click on "dernieres minutes", "lastminute trip" on the left on tuesday, just past midnight 00:01.
You will have displayed all last minute routes/fares from 25e per trip, for departure from wednesday to next tuesday, pay online, print ticket online (so you can do it from anywhere), no need to punch/validate ticket as well. Note it is non-refundable/changeable though.

Bruxels and Amsterdam, Koln are often available, around 40/50e per trip, sometimes 60e in 1st class (which include a meal).
No need for overnight, and should availability shows, day trips doable!
Valid on many domestic routes as well.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Thanks again, all great suggestions and I appreciate them all!!

Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:32 pm

Overall, it is a fun day trip! Espescially after a couple tasty belgian brews!
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Didier
Bruxels and Amsterdam, Koln are often available, around 40/50e per trip, sometimes 60e in 1st class (which include a meal).
No need for overnight, and should availability shows, day trips doable!
Valid on many domestic routes as well.
Holy cow! You would REALLY have to like riding on trains to do Amsterdam on a day trip from Paris. Its over 4 hours each way.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by bbkenney
You would REALLY have to like riding on trains to do Amsterdam on a day trip from Paris.
Or maybe REALLY like Super Silver Haze (or similar Nederweed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.