Community
Wiki Posts
Search

good hotel near CDG for overnight stay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

good hotel near CDG for overnight stay

My son will be taking the TGV to Paris where he has to stay overnight to connect with his US Airways flight back to California (in Oct).

Can someone recommend a decent, reasonable hotel that will allow him easy early shuttle access to Terminal 1? He has never been to Paris before and doesn't speak much French. He will get into CDG at about 6:45 pm and leave on his flight at about 11 a.m. next day.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Colene
My son will be taking the TGV to Paris where he has to stay overnight to connect with his US Airways flight back to California (in Oct).

Can someone recommend a decent, reasonable hotel that will allow him easy early shuttle access to Terminal 1? He has never been to Paris before and doesn't speak much French. He will get into CDG at about 6:45 pm and leave on his flight at about 11 a.m. next day.
Ibis might be his best bet for a basic, reasonable hotel with a shuttle. http://www.accorhotels.com
I think there is more than one Ibis near the airport and one is preferable, but I'm sorry I don't remember which is which.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:24 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
CDG covers a large area and has several hotels inside the airport grounds. The TGV comes into CDG T2, right by the Sheraton, which is pretty good, but usually expensive. The Hilton, Ibis, and Novotel are all by the CDG RER (subway) station (the Hilton and Ibis are by the front exit [where the buses are], the Novotel is the other side). There's a shuttle (Navette) from there (Roissypole) to T1. The Hilton is usually expensive, but it is excellent. The Ibis is a madhouse. The Novotel is usually only slightly more expensive than the Ibis and is much nicer. Both are run by Accor: www.accorhotels.com -- you need to enter the city name Roissy-en-France to get the hotels that are actually in the airport. There's also a hotel in the basement of T1 itself called "Cocoon", but I've never tried it. The remaining hotel actually in the airport is the Sofitel (also run by accor) but it's fairly expensive, not particularly good, and in a place all by itself. There are plenty of hotels just outside the airport but I've never seen a reason to prefer them to the ones inside (well, the Hyatt can be worthwhile if you can get it cheap).

Edited to add: Goggle indicates that Cocoon is "closed indefinitely" (presumably as part of the renovation of T1 that is going on for the next 4 years).

Last edited by someotherguy; Aug 11, 2004 at 11:52 pm
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks to WillTravel and someotherguy for your quick and helpful replies. I'm really glad I joined this list! I was getting confused about which was which, and also some of the hotels (incl. the Ibis) at/near CDG were sold out for that time period (Oct 18), possibly because of exhibitions and/or events in the area. So I went for the Novotel "Dorint Airport Hotel Paris Roissy," so as to have something nailed down in case another, better, cheaper option doesn't turn up. (fyi: On the Accor site i got a rack rate of 220 Euros, while on Orbitz and Expedia, the least expensive room was over $400).

Thanks again,

Colene
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:47 am

Though it would seem not to be helpful in your case (Oct 18 is a Monday), the CDG Hilton offers a terrific "Weekend in Style" rate of €130 (twin guest room) if you check out on Saturday or Sunday. The rate includes buffet breakfast and late check-out.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I usually get very cheap internet rates for the Hyatt at CDG on Hyatt.com. They have a shuttle to each terminal, a great health club and a nice RC if you are Diamond.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:25 am

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Originally Posted by Colene
So I went for the Novotel "Dorint Airport Hotel Paris Roissy,"
That's not the Novotel inside the airport (that one is called "Novotel Roissy Aéroport Charles de Gaulle"). Looks like there may be something going on on your date and that's why some of the hotels aren't showing up, and why the prices are so high. An alternative is to stay in Paris and take the RER to the airport in the morning. Most TGVs that go to CDG stop at Gare de Lyon and there's another Novotel right there. The RER requires a change at Chatelat les Halles. I think the Air France bus 4 goes door to door.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The RER B does not stop at Gare de Lyon. There is a Novotel near Le Halles by the Chatelet stop. Or I prefer the Hotel Jardin du Luxembourg near the Luxembourg stop on the RER B which is always €135. It is a very nice boutique hotel and they have WiFi on floors 4, 5 & 6. T2 at the airport is abou 40 minutes door to door from this hotel. 45-60 minutes to T1.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed at the very soundproofed CDG Hilton for 99 euros and 3 weeks later for 104 euros and that included an excellent full buffet breakfast (normally 26 euros). Booked it at www.hilton.com . Our corporate TA recommends the separate Sofitel. Both have shuttle busses.

MisterNice
Old Aug 12, 2004, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
The Sheraton at CDG is good, rooms are comfortable, and I believe they have their own shuttle.
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and could hear the guy in next room snoring, plus they use a group shuttle, which can be time-consuming.
Since he'll be arriving in Paris the day before, he may want to stay in city and taxi to CDG in morning; I use a great driver on this run and fare is around 40 euros, if that's in the budget.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Novotel Dorint Airport Hotel - reviews?

It seems to be new--built in 2003--and "This 4-star hotel is situated adjacent to the international airport and just ten minutes away from the Villepinte Exhibition Center. Courtesy shuttle to and from the airport and TGV station."

Anyone have any experience with this hotel?
Old Aug 13, 2004, 8:06 am
Original Poster

October near CDG

Thanks, everyone, for your generous help.

As to staying in central Paris vs. the airport: He will only have about 16 hours available train-to-plane, possibly 12 or less allowing for shuttle, customs and security, etc. So at most he has time to go into Paris for dinner.

My thought is that staying at or near the airport would make the morning departure simpler and avoid travelng to the airport during rush hour. If my reasoning is faulty, please feel free!

Anyhow, I see hotels all around there and at the airport selling out for Oct 18, or having no great deals. Maybe because of the tennis tournament in Bercy or the SAIC Global Food Marketplace Oct 17-21 at the Villepinte Exhibition Center, or other things going on.

Thanks again,

Colene
Old Aug 13, 2004, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I noted above, it's no problem staying in the city. Rush hour doesn't mean anything when taking the express metro to the airport, other than the train being full for a couple of stops perhaps. Door to door should be about 40 minutes or so for T2 and 45-60 to T1.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another consideration that needs to be weighed: The RER station for CDG's Terminal 1 is NOT in T1 itself. It is actually adjacent to T3 (the renamed T9). Pax must take a shuttle bus from T3 to T1 itself (the distance is not great, but sometimes the wait can be frustrating).
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:56 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by MDSD
The Sheraton at CDG is good, rooms are comfortable, and I believe they have their own shuttle.
No need for a shuttle at the Sheraton CDG ! It is located ... above the TGV station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.