Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

help! moany man to impress

help! moany man to impress

Old Aug 11, 04, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb help! moany man to impress

We are in France for a wedding at the end of August and have planned two days in Paris afterwards. While I would happily spend a week in the art museums my other half isnt a happy traveller and I need to make sure he has no opportunity to be bored or feel lost.

So two broad questions with 25 year old, moany man in mind...

Where is the best area to stay? Nightlife is more important than access to the sights, so I would hope for somewhere where we could easily walk to bars and restaurants, and find these fairly cheap and accessable to uncultured English idiots with poor language skills like ourselves. (any specific hotel/restaurant recommendations welcome!)

What should we spend our time doing/seeing?

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 04, 6:00 pm

I'd guess that you would want a hotel in the Marais or Latin Quarter, or if you don't mind being a little further out, in the Bastille area. (Actually the Marais and Bastille areas are adjacent.) Those locations will be near nightlife.

I'm not sure what to recommend to do. There is a lot to see in Paris, but what your guy will like, who can say. Why not suggest he look at some guidebooks and figure it out? I liked the Paris Walks: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pariswalking/
They are historically-oriented so keep that in mind.
Old Aug 12, 04, 1:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Two days are not much for Paris so you have the choice between two solutions:

The crazy tourist: jump from Eiffel Tower to Le Louvre museum, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Moulin Rouge, Montparnasse, Sacre Coeur and you'll drop dead of exhaustion OR

Easydoing tourist: stay at one of these two arrondissements preferrably the 6th,

http://www.parishotels-discount.com/by-area/75006.htm

http://www.parishotels-discount.com/by-area/75005.htm

when out of the hotel, walk to La Coupole (large restaurant with outside terrace) drink something, watch the crowds, buy and browse through the PARISCOPE, probably the best what to do/where to go guide of Paris (€1.-to 2.-).

If you don't mind walking a bit, stroll to the Ile St. Louis, along the Seine and just enjoy the sights.

For nightlife, depending on the budget you'll find everything in the guide. There are crazy places to go, the equivalent of the ex Studio 54 would be the La société des bains or something similar. Very expensive, along the Seine but crazy.

Drop a PM if you want more info.
Old Aug 12, 04, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well. welcome to flyertalk, and almost any single diget arrond. will provide you with what you want, excluding cheap. The majority of the people walking around will not speak french, and easily pass as uncultured American idiots.

American English has been offically declared "Lingua Franca", so, not to worry about language barriers.

In Petersburg at Catherine's palace, the teacher said"that man over there speaks english. I spent 45 min. with the group of 10 year olds while they practiced their englisn on me.
Old Aug 12, 04, 9:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Is your boyfriend interested in the history of music? Then he might be interested in visiting this:

http://www.cite-musique.fr/anglais/musee/index.html
Old Aug 19, 04, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
First order of business should be to dump the boyfriend. Short of that, any guidebook should give you a pretty good indication of what to do and where to stay to do it.
Old Sep 20, 04, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Paris for the Moany Man!

Oops, just noticed you already made your trip and I hope it was a success. For those looking at this thread for trip planning in the future:

A few years I took my retired Marine, museum- and shopping-hating husband to Paris and he LOVED it. Here are some highlights of what we did in 4 days:

Stayed at a wonderful hotel in the Marais, a short walk from Notre Dame and the two Iles. Our hotel was Caron de Beaumarchais, very friendly, English-speaking staff, typical Parisian decor and ambience, wonderful breakfasts in a limestone "cave" in the basement. At this 19-room hotel you definitely know you're in Paris. Many clubs and restaurants are within a short walk of the hotel. Metro stop Hotel de Ville is about 4 blocks away.

We rode the Metro a lot. We walked really a lot. We went on a Bateaux Mouches ride the first evening, fabulous and great for getting in the Paris mood. There was a boat landing very near our hotel. On Sunday we strolled over to Notre Dame and attended a morning mass (husband is Catholic), with mind-boggling organ music at the end of the service, a definite highlight of the trip. We walked around the Sainte-Chapelle. We saw the Eiffel Tower, didn't have time to go inside. We walked on the Champs Elysses and went inside the Sephora store where my husband marvelled at all the obviously wealthy Arab men patiently waiting for their wives to shop.

We went to the Louvre for about 2 hours, I had carefully planned the things we would see so husband wouldn't be bored. Probably his favorite site was the Invalides and the Musée de l'Armeé where we inspected the old battle banners, relics from Napoleon's days including the great general's stuffed horse, and arms and armor from olden times. All this stuff was fascinating to a career military guy. We walked around to the Dome Church where Napoleon's Tomb is located and explored every nook and cranny, noting all the famous battle names on the walls.

I wanted to shop and of course husband most assuredly did NOT, so here's how I got around it. I planned ahead and gave husband a relevant map. We went on the double-decker hop-on/hop off bus that goes all over Paris. I got off in the Opera area to do my shopping, he stayed on the bus and went all around the major sights. That took him took over an hour and I had carefully briefed him where to get off the bus and how to get to the famous "Harry's Bar" where Hemingway used to hang out. I suggested (you don't TELL my husband anything...) that he hang out at this bar for a while and I would meet him there. Well, he got totally lost after he got off the bus at the wrong place, but he managed to find the bar---a Marine can always find a good bar! He was happy as a clam when I showed up, sitting there yakking away with some guy from New York who was smoking a big cigar.

Other highlights of the trip were our evening foray to Place des Vosges, where I soaked in the gorgeous symmetry of the architecture and husband enjoyed the restaurant we found. We loved walking around Ilé St. Louis, a stone's throw from our hotel and full of wonderful courtyards for peeking into and restaurants for good meals at relatively low prices. We took in the Musée d'Orsay and had lunch in their conservatory restaurant. Husband also loved the ubiquitous cafes and bistros and still loves to regale his pals with restroom tales, focusing on his little adventures in that uni-sex world.

Of course, with only two days you will have to pick and choose, but Paris with a museum-reluctant shoppingphobe is definitely do-able. Find things your significant other will enjoy, plan carefully, and enjoy your trip.

Last edited by Dianne47; Sep 21, 04 at 12:09 am Reason: noticed OP's trip had already taken place...
Old Jan 16, 05, 9:59 pm

Dianne- This is an old post but ithanks for the info. I've got one of those guys, too. He showed a spark of interest when I said Paris and he's actually opened a few of the Paris/France books I have strung around. He's never done that before.
Old Jan 18, 05, 7:50 pm

magexpect- Great advice regarding LaCoupole. We had lunch there last Saturday and before an exceptional meal, John Kerry walked right by us. Made a memorable meal really memorable.
Old Jan 18, 05, 9:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by tinnub
Made a memorable meal really memorable.
That's how I felt when I ran into Jean-Georges Vongerichten in the bathroom at his restaurant in the Trump Hotel. We exchanged cordial greetings. I was giddy afterward.

So I guess celebrity chefs do show up at least once in a while at their restaurant.

Too bad I couldn't say the same about my dinner at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon.
Old Jan 19, 05, 4:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
magexpect- Great advice regarding LaCoupole. We had lunch there last Saturday and before an exceptional meal, John Kerry walked right by us. Made a memorable meal really memorable.
Doesn't surprise me as La Coupole has a reputation as a place where men can meet older women.
Old Jan 20, 05, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Cool!!! Lucky you! Even though he's been there many times, my husband enjoyed the Paris Walking Tour on the Invasion & Resistance. Another way I get him shopping - I gush over how much attention he gets when entering an upscale store (which, actually is true) & he likes proving me right over & over...
Old Feb 24, 05, 4:56 pm

My husband really enjoyed the Military Museum. The section regarding the deportation of the French Jews was powerful. To me the resistance section was intersting as well as the ancient armour section.

Fortunately, the Rodin Museum was nearby so I had a place to browse so as not to rush him at the Military Museum. My husband also really liked the Musee Arts y Metiers. It was another huge museum in an unusual setting and full of technological advances. Took him a full day. I started to head off toward the Picasso Museum by myself but didn't feel comfortable alone in that area. Near the Arts y Metiers Museum we found a little street full of Asian restaurants and some very good Pho and other Vietnamese food. Almost like a mini Chinatown.

I was in Monet heaven at Marmottan but my husband didn't get it. He thought Monet should have stuck to portrait painting.

We both wished we'd skipped the tour of the Gobelins tapestry factories. Disorganized, long, boring and too large of group. We did learn that all of the artisians are government employees and that they only make the tapestries for government use, with 3 exceptions. Most everything being constructed was of modern design.

One trick to use to get men into the department stores is to look for the restrooms. At Printemps we lucked out one day. They were doing a photo shoot, commercial or something for the Lido Theater. All these beautiful women (fully covered in fantastic costumes) came in and put on a short show. It was great.
Old Feb 24, 05, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by cecelia
I started to head off toward the Picasso Museum by myself but didn't feel comfortable alone in that area.
Was it the gay men or the Orthodox Jews that you were afraid of?

Seriously, glad you both had a good time.
Old Feb 25, 05, 1:28 am

Thanks for your well wishes.

It was the streets with the boarded up storefronts and doorways and men loitering about as if doing deals that gave me second thoughts.

It seems there is such an over sensitivity to anything but positive comments about Paris. Paris has it's legions of protectors, especially on flyertalk. And, yes, I know it's much safer there then in LA, for example. However, I prefer to know both sides of the story.

Search this Thread