Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Can I leave luggage in rental at CDG?

Can I leave luggage in rental at CDG?

Old Jun 5, 04, 10:57 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: BWI
Programs: Only loyal to WN or Best Price/ Route
Posts: 979
Can I leave luggage in rental at CDG?

I arrive in Paris early in the morning and have a rental with Hertz. I don't need to be to a city outside of Paris until later in the evening, so I would like to see a few sites very quickly. Unfortunately, there is no luggage storage in the airport.

Do you think I could rent the car when I arrive in the morning, store my luggage in the trunk, head to Paris, and then return and leave with the car 6-7 hours later?

Any other options?

Thanks!
PGHflyer is offline  
Old Jun 5, 04, 12:07 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Posts: 2,594
It's certainly worth a try. If Hertz doesn't like it -- drive over to a pay parkng lot and pay for a day's worth of parking.
doglover is offline  
Old Jun 5, 04, 12:16 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reality, Freedom • Fly Tarom • Rule 28-certified
Programs: AF F+ Rouge / Flying Ash®
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by jkzahn
I arrive in Paris early in the morning and have a rental with Hertz. I don't need to be to a city outside of Paris until later in the evening, so I would like to see a few sites very quickly. Unfortunately, there is no luggage storage in the airport.

Do you think I could rent the car when I arrive in the morning, store my luggage in the trunk, head to Paris, and then return and leave with the car 6-7 hours later?

Any other options?

Thanks!
My understanding is that you want to leave your luggage in the trunk of the rental car while you visit Paris during the day? Where are you planning on leaving the rental car - in an airport parking lot?

I would advise against this: my upstairs neighbor often leaves his car at CDG parking over the weekend and it has been broken into THREE times now (trunk and car).

Have you thought about renting a room at one of the cheaper hotels? The Ibis is right next to the RER subway station and has parking - rates are from 75 euros per day. Just an idea ...

http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhote...he_hotel.shtml
blairvanhorn is offline  
Old Jun 5, 04, 12:39 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: BWI
Programs: Only loyal to WN or Best Price/ Route
Posts: 979
Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping to just leave it wherever Hertz leaves their cars, but put my couple of bags in the trunk while I run into the city for about 6-7 hours. I just didn't know if Hertz checks to make sure you actually leave with the car immediately after checking the car out...................

thanks
PGHflyer is offline  
Old Jun 5, 04, 12:43 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reality, Freedom • Fly Tarom • Rule 28-certified
Programs: AF F+ Rouge / Flying Ash®
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by jkzahn
Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping to just leave it wherever Hertz leaves their cars, but put my couple of bags in the trunk while I run into the city for about 6-7 hours. I just didn't know if Hertz checks to make sure you actually leave with the car immediately after checking the car out...................

thanks
I don't know - I would think that at an airport location, they would want to turn the cars around quickly and thus need the parking spaces which are at a premium ....
blairvanhorn is offline  
Old Jun 5, 04, 1:47 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 7,422
That's what I would do:

Get the Hertz car - can take up to 45 min., no GOLD service, unfriendly staff.
Drive to Paris.
Departure 95700 Aéroport Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle
Destination Porte Maillot — 75016 Paris 16

Itinerary type Recommended by Michelin
Summary 28 km in 00h29 including 15 km in 00h13 on expressways

Take: Route Des Badauds for 4.5 km
Head towards: Paris-Centre, Cergy-Pontoise, Paris-Porte de la Chapelle, Saint-Denis via: A1/E19 for 17 km

At Saint-Denis
Exit towards: Rouen, Périphérique Ouest, Porte de Clignancourt
take: Boulevard Périphérique for 150 m
Head towards: Rouen, Porte de Clichy

At Paris
continue along Boulevard Périphérique for 7 km
Paris 16, Porte Maillot

At Porte Maillot park at the park house.
Next to it is a Metro Station. You can walk to Arc de Triomphe.
A bus (forgot the number, cold be #82) will bring you to Tour Eiffel, Invalide, St. Germain, Luxembourg, Notre Dame, Marais

1. You go mostly on expressways
2. You find your way back or to your other place easy, Périphérique goes around Paris
3. Parking is right next to the expressway
USAFAN is offline  
Old Jun 6, 04, 6:38 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 10280 & 91101
Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Posts: 461
Try to store at Sheraton Hotel at CDG airport

I would see if the Sheraton would store your luggage for a fee. It doesnt hurt to ask. This hotel is conveniently located next to terminal 2D, near the train station.
lesenok is offline  
Old Jun 12, 04, 1:37 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: BWI
Programs: Only loyal to WN or Best Price/ Route
Posts: 979
Just as an update. I did end up getting there and asking the attendants if I was required to leave immediately, and they said no and to take my time. My car was parked right outside of the rental office, in what looked like a high traffic area. So, I put our stuff in the trunk, locked it and left. Returned 8 hours later with absolutely no problems. Thanks for the advice though.....
PGHflyer is offline  
Old Jun 13, 04, 6:19 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reality, Freedom • Fly Tarom • Rule 28-certified
Programs: AF F+ Rouge / Flying Ash®
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by jkzahn
Just as an update. I did end up getting there and asking the attendants if I was required to leave immediately, and they said no and to take my time. My car was parked right outside of the rental office, in what looked like a high traffic area. So, I put our stuff in the trunk, locked it and left. Returned 8 hours later with absolutely no problems. Thanks for the advice though.....
Thanks for the update - it's always interesting to read how things turn out, especially when they turn out favorably, as they did for you.

I would still avoid leaving any valuables locked in your trunk for any lenghty period of time at CDG.
blairvanhorn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread