FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Seeking advice on Prince de Galles Hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/310846-seeking-advice-prince-de-galles-hotel.html)

Thunderroad Apr 4, 2004 3:42 pm

Seeking advice on Prince de Galles Hotel

I will be staying with my wife at the Prince de Galles in Paris in August (on Starwood points--I have SPG Gold status). Any advice on what floors, rooms, sides of hotel to try to stay in or avoid? Is it quieter facing the interior courtyard area as opposed to the street? Are any outward-facing sides of the hotel quieter than others? Given that it is August, how is the air conditioning?

Thanks for any and all additional advice re rooms, the hotel or the neighborhood.

Thanks too to all who previously provided advice when I was trying to find a Paris hotel!

BigLar Apr 6, 2004 4:22 pm

Re: air conditioning. First, make sure the hotel has a/c at all, in your room, or just in the public areas (like the lobby). Don't take it for granted as we do over here. I noticed this as I was searching some hotels in Europe (Holidays Inns, etc.) and most of them reported a/c in public areas only.

Even if it is in the room, it's a toss-up as to whether it will be up to the task, and that, of course, depends on the weather. During the killer heat wave last year, pretty much no hotel room in most of France had a/c that would keep up with it. We were in Paris in September (Hilton at the Eiffel Tower); the weather was warm, approaching hot, but not at all unpleasant. I found that, if I left the room darkening shades drawn when we left the room, it would be sufficiently cool when we returned.

Tey just don't have the need for it over there as we do, and on a very hot day you might just sweat a bit. But hey! You're in Paris fer gawdsake! Don't let a little thing like sweat slow you down! You'll probably smell a lot fresher than most of the parisiennes anyhow. ;)

Enjoy it!

BigLar Apr 6, 2004 4:28 pm

Now why can't I just delete this with a blank message??? :confused:

magexpect Apr 9, 2004 4:30 pm

The Prince the Galles is, in my opinion, the best hotel in Paris. The rooms ARE air conditioned and as such if you prefer AC then try to get a room at the front of the hotel to enjoy the mad trafic and the bustle of Paris. If you prefer open windows, then a request for a courtyard room is a must.

You will enjoy a perfect and personal service. The guests list reads like the who's who... Just perfect, discreet. Enjoy yourselves.

wideman Apr 9, 2004 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by magexpect
The Prince the Galles is, in my opinion, the best hotel in Paris.

:eek:

(May I assume that you've never stayed, or maybe even set foot in, Le Bristol, or the Meurice (among several)?

magexpect Apr 10, 2004 1:33 am

Originally Posted by wideman
:eek:

(May I assume that you've never stayed, or maybe even set foot in, Le Bristol, or the Meurice (among several)?

Sorry to disappoint you. I have stayed at both on numerous occasions. I like the Bristol, it is almost as good except that they never managed to get my eggs the way I want them. 4 minutes, soft, little bread sticks inexistent, even if you suggest paying extra.

The Meurice is too snob, it takes ages to retrieve your car and I don't like their 2 or three class service. In comparison to the Prince the Galles, no matter who you are, the service is going to be the same. Not at the Meurice, besides, the noise and vibrations from the street are ever present.

MDSD Apr 10, 2004 1:13 pm

[QUOTE=Thunderroad]I will be staying with my wife at the Prince de Galles in Paris in August (on Starwood points--I have SPG Gold status). Any advice on what floors, rooms, sides of hotel to try to stay in or avoid? Is it quieter facing the interior courtyard area as opposed to the street? Are any outward-facing sides of the hotel quieter than others? Given that it is August, how is the air conditioning?

We stayed there this year, the views inside the courtyard are mediocre but VERY quiet. Rooms in the back should have Tour Eiffel view, but check with hotel on that. AC is good. Be aware that posts vary widely on treatment; we're platinum and only got a decent-sized interior room. Nonetheless, the hotel is good and the location perfect.