Paris New Year's Eve with children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle

Any recommendations on family activities for New Year's Eve in Paris? My children are ages 11 and 6. Based on other message threads, we'll probably avoid the crowds around the Eiffel and Champs Elyssee areas. Also, if considering dinner that evening, will children be a problem?

Thanks for any insight ya'll can offer!
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:46 pm

Most Parisian restaurants set-up a special evening for New Year's Eve, even the corner brasseries who usually just have a "plat du jour" type menu. There is in most cases a much higher than usual, fixed price menu which can kick a 3 or 4 course meal that's usually, say 35 Euros, up to or over 100 Euros, per person.

The French don't restrict kids to the extent we do in the USA-the attitude seems to be that you're the parent, you know best (the USA had that attitude too until about 1968). On New Year's Eve, it's a party atmosphere at most places and it's adults partying, meaning drinking, music and in many places dancing, even places that just have a CD player and a few folks moving around.

Paris has a number of free or cheap classical music events each day, often held in churches. When you get to your airport in Paris, buy a copy of Pariscope (40 cents) and look for what's happeneing on New Year's Eve. Kids would be welcome there, and it would probably be a more age and price appropriate eveving.

Old Dec 23, 2003, 3:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
You are going to have a little of a problem, especially regarding a meal in the evening. We were there last year and almost everywhere you will have set menus. Definitely buy PARISCOPE, it will tell you what's going on. There is a lot going on for all ages, even a fair with all kinds of things for children. Have a good stay
Old Dec 23, 2003, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Thanks for the replies. We decided to go to Disneyland for New Year's. It's more of a controlled environment and the kids will welcome the break from all the cultural things that mom and dad want to see in Paris.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 3:37 pm

While I am usually slow to recommend Disney Europe, in this case I think it's an excellant choice.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 11, 2004, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
While I am usually slow to recommend Disney Europe, in this case I think it's an excellant choice.

Have a great time!

Why do you say this? Is it really a let-down, or just too much like the one in the US? We are going to Paris for 8 days and trying to do something for everyone. My daughter really wants to go to Disney for one day. I know I could talk her out of it (read: bribe: shopping for clothes) with the right facts to back up the decision. Our whole family loved Disney in Orlando last year.

I am just starting to search the boards now. We will be there for Bastille day and there are plenty of fairs, events, fireworks, parades and feasts to keep us busy that day for sure. We have tickets already for the Ballet. I know about the museums and monuments and will look for everyone's other experiences to guide me since there are more things to do than time will allow. As we all know, 8 days is nothing when there is so much to see.
I can't seem to find any past posts on the horse track that seems to be such a social event there. It sounds like that might be a fun evening after a full day of walking around. I will also have to look harder as I can't find anything posted about side trips to Normandy Beach - this has to be here somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.