Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

EWR to CDG - Will I go through passport control or immigration?

EWR to CDG - Will I go through passport control or immigration?

Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Question EWR to CDG - Will I go through passport control or immigration?

Hi everyone. I'm traveling to the EU for the first time in over ten years.

In fact, I haven't traveled internationally since 2011. So I don't really remember how customs and immigration works for US travelers.

I'm a US citizen who's flying from EWR to Paris CDG this April. And CDG is my final destination.

According to a few travel sites, I'll be required to go through passport control once I land at CDG.

What's the difference between passport control and immigration?

Will the officer who stamps my passport at CDG ask me questions about my trip to France?

I'm concerned because in 2011, when I flew from London LGW to DUB, an Irish immigration officer ask me for my travel documentation, and questioned me about my visit to Ireland.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Jericho-79
What's the difference between passport control and immigration?
For the purposes of your question, they are one and the same. There are also exit checks departing France (and all Schengen states) so you will go through passport control/immigration on departure as well.

Will the officer who stamps my passport at CDG ask me questions about my trip to France?
They will likely ask you the purpose of your visit. i.e. business or leisure. And then how long you intend to stay in France. Depending on how you answer the previous questions, then they may ask you more, but there's really nothing to be 'concerned' about.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 10:23 am

In my experience of dozens of arrivals at CDG with a US passport, I have never been asked any questions at passport control.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
It's best if you don't look too guilty. But they are also trained to be suspicious of people who appear too relaxed.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
There are also exit checks departing France (and all Schengen states) so you will go through passport control/immigration on departure as well.
Are you kidding me?

I thought it was all open borders if you travel from one Schengen area country to another. Like flying from New York to Illinois.

FYI, I'm spending two days in Paris, then two days in Amsterdam, and finally one week in Germany.

So I'll have to go though passport control from CDG to AMS, and from AMS to Berlin BER?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:20 am

Are you kidding me?

I thought it was all open borders if you travel from one Schengen area country to another. Like flying from New York to Illinois.

FYI, I'm spending two days in Paris, then two days in Amsterdam, and finally one week in Germany.

So I'll have to go though passport control from CDG to AMS, and from AMS to Berlin BER?
Your original post indicated that you were only travelling to France and then back to the US, hence my comment. But no, there are normally no intra-Schengen passport checks. If you are travelling by road or train you will probably not even notice that you have crossed the border (though not guaranteed - I recently went by bus from Bratislava to Vienna and Austrian border guards boarded the bus to do a cursory check on passports). If you travel by air, depending on airline/route, you may be asked to show a passport on boarding or at check-in if you are putting luggage in the hold.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 4:34 am

Programs: FB Gold
Are you kidding me?

It is open borders if you travel by road and *usually* by train, although I have had document checks on occasion by train. Non-EU citizens theoretically need a passport when travelling by air between Schengen countries.

The exit passport control refers to when you leave the espace Schengen, so you will pass through passport contrle at your exit. This is to ensure people don't overstay their legal duration.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlin32
Non-EU citizens theoretically need a passport when travelling by air between Schengen countries.
But I'll only need to show my passport before boarding the plane when departing from one Schengen country to another?

There's no immigration officer that I'll have to present my passport to?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:43 pm

That's right. The flights operate like domestic flights.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
They will likely ask you the purpose of your visit. i.e. business or leisure. And then how long you intend to stay in France. Depending on how you answer the previous questions, then they may ask you more, but there's really nothing to be 'concerned' about.
Originally Posted by kerouac2
It's best if you don't look too guilty. But they are also trained to be suspicious of people who appear too relaxed.
Well, the itinerary for my EU trip is pretty complex.

I'm spending two days in Paris for a music festival, two days in Amsterdam for a separate music festival, and a week in Berlin and Munich for sightseeing.

And I'm not gonna be with a guided tour group.

Do my trip plans sound ridiculous?

Would immigration officers question or feel suspicious of my visit?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 1:36 am

Do my trip plans sound ridiculous?

Would immigration officers question or feel suspicious of my visit?
Er, a) no and b) can't imagine why.

The vast majority of people who travel are not part of a guided tour. At this point, I think you are unnecessarily worrying about nothing. Just go and enjoy.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Most people who travel to Europe visit multiple countries on the same trip. Your worries are unfounded. On my latest trip, I arrived to Spain and was asked zero questions. I then traveled between Spain and Italy and only had to show my passport when boarding (everyone did, similar to boarding a domestic flight in Canada). When I left Italy, I completed the exit check using an e-gate and received an exit stamp from an officer - again, no questions.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:48 pm

Actual entrance and exit stamps are becoming quite rare in Europe now since all of the records are electronic.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by kerouac2
Actual entrance and exit stamps are becoming quite rare in Europe now since all of the records are electronic.
If you travel on a non-EU/EEA passport, then until EES is operational, entry/exit stamps to/from the Schengen zone are still very much required.
:D! and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:51 pm

Sure, but I also remember all of the times that the United States did not even stamp my passport even though it was required. They are losing the habit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.