Paris Dining

Old Aug 30, 22, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
Paris Dining

I realize this is VERY subjective... but will ask anyway.

We'll have 3-4 days & nights in Paris late October. We'd like to have a few meals planned so we have a great experience. Mr. albie, me, and 3 teenagers who are open-minded eaters and accustomed to all range of foods (one is gluten free), including high end dining.

We'd like at least one Michelin * or similar experience -- super good food, in a nice environment -- either a view, or a particularly cool locale, etc.

Then we'd like some general good local cuisine options - for lunch or dinner - in central Paris. We'll probably be staying in the 8th, but expect to spend much of our time closer to the center, so it doesn't really matter where the restaurant is.

I realize there are tons of such options in Paris. What are your favorites to recommend, and why?
Old Aug 31, 22, 5:59 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
If you like raclette and fondue, give Les Marmottes a try. Located very close to the Les Halles Metro station. Not a Michelin starred restaurant but we enjoyed it nonetheless.

If you're looking for a one of a kind experience, consider making reservations at Madame Brasserie on the first level of the Eiffel Tower, or Jules Verne (1 Michelin Star) on the 2nd level.
albie likes this.
Old Sep 2, 22, 10:14 pm

I really like Le Pantruche. Classic bistro fare, always spot-on. It's near the famed Rue des Martyrs so you can also explore that area. For a casual lunch, Cosi has great sandwiches that might be a hit with teenagers; the nearby Freddy's (same owner) serves small plates all day.
albie likes this.
Old Sep 3, 22, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Take a look at Giraffe. If anything, your kids will have some great stuff for their IG.
Old Sep 4, 22, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
My favorite non-starred restaurant in Paris is Pottoka in the 7eme. It has a Michelin Bib Gourmand award: "good quality, good value cooking."
albie likes this.
Old Sep 6, 22, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
A couple ideas that we enjoyed.

https://www.pavillondescanaux.com/ - Literally a house on the Saint martin canal. Creative, fun.

FTG - Frechie's to go. A causal small place run by a Michelin star chef. Or you can go next door to the actual * restaurant.
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
For those who are used to dining out in Paris — can we just decide each day where we want to eat that night (assuming we are flexible)? Or will we find most good restaurants to be booked up ahead of time?
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by albie View Post
For those who are used to dining out in Paris can we just decide each day where we want to eat that night (assuming we are flexible)? Or will we find most good restaurants to be booked up ahead of time?
That's a big "It depends" on how popular the restaurant is and what your means are of securing a reservation. That's always a reason to use a hotel concierge.
Old Sep 28, 22, 11:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I never book restaurants ahead of time and always decide where to eat depending on the time of day and my location in Paris. The important thing to know is that if you have lunch close to 12:00 and dinner close to 19:00, just about any "normal" restaurant (not the gastronomic snooty places) will be happy to see you if you walk in.

I despise the idea of being locked in with a reservation, but I have noticed that a lot of people feel more secure with a structured life and all decisions made ahead of time. Thank god we are all different.
Old Sep 28, 22, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many good restaurants in Paris don't open for dinner before 8 pm.

Some hotels have good restaurants and give preference for reservations to hotel guests or set aside a couple tables for hotel guests.
Old Sep 28, 22, 12:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Perhaps; but about 99% of Paris restaurants are open by 19:00-19:30, so I wouldn't really worry about the "good" ones.
Old Sep 28, 22, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by albie View Post
For those who are used to dining out in Paris — can we just decide each day where we want to eat that night (assuming we are flexible)? Or will we find most good restaurants to be booked up ahead of time?
There's really no easy answer to this question. One thing for sure is that there are so many options, you will always find a place to eat ! One important thing to factor is how many you are in your party. If you are 2, it should be easy to find a place somewhere. if you are 5 or 6, definitely book.
Friday and saturday are also harder without booking than the rest of the week.

Search this Thread