Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Using a French Pass Sanitaire - when, where, and will it work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!

The giant "Expansion of the Pass Sanitaire" thread has lots of useful information on how non-Europeans can generate a pass online. It also has some discussions about how useful such a pass is, where it is required, and where other forms of vaccination proof such as a CDC card will (and will not) work. I thought it would make sense to have another thread for those discussions so the other thread stays focused on how to get it.

I'll start by posting this comment from the other thread:
Originally Posted by Morland
I am not sure this will work - I have a EU Certificate in the Tous Covid app which shows up as valid in the TAC Verif app. However showing the same French QR code to the NL Coronacheck Scanner app it shows up as not a valid code. My French certificate was created by importing a UK NHS QR code and it shows in the Tous Covid app as a French certificate. So the Netherlands can obviously detect that although it is a French certificate, the vaccinations were made in the UK. It may not be the same for people who have received their pass sanitaire through the application process or at a French pharmacy, but worth checking the Dutch Coronacheck Scanner app to see whether it would pass muster there.
I tested this with my French QR code, which was generated by uploading my American CDC vaccination record to the French site. I then downloaded the Dutch CoronaCheck scanner app and scanned my QR code. It was accepted.

Please use this thread to post your questions about, and experiences with, using a French Pass Sanitaire in France and other places!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I have been in Paris for 48 hours. At every bar or restaurant or gym/yoga studio, the Health Pass is required for entry or to order a beverage/food.
It takes only 5 sec to pull out the QR code on your phone and for the waiter to scan it.
Very efficient.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I've used the pass sanitaire to upload my CDC card to the UK PLF form, it worked just fine. Also used it to upload to Verifly. To be fair, both will upload the CDC card as well. We are headed for southern Rhone next week, beaux villages, will see how many places require it there.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 8:58 pm

Southern Rhone (Gigondas, Ch. du Pape, etc - all restaurants required scanning of the Pass Sanitaire before entering. Groceries and vineyards, no. Airport and car rental, no. Did not take any public transport so can't report on that. Cafes were still mostly outdoor, only one outdoor cafe in Marseilles required it.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by QT31415
I've used the pass sanitaire to upload my CDC card to the UK PLF form, it worked just fine. Also used it to upload to Verifly. To be fair, both will upload the CDC card as well. We are headed for southern Rhone next week, beaux villages, will see how many places require it there.
\

how'd it go?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Clayfu
\

how'd it go?
There was very consistent use of the Pass Sanitaire in even the smaller villages - it's expected, it's the norm. I would have felt very awkward not having it, and we never saw anyone trying to use a CDC card. In the rural areas, not much english is used, so Im not sure how a CDC card would've gone down. It's a restaurant and cafe requirement - I assume there are large penalties and/or fines associated with noncompliance, as it was rigorously checked prior to entrance of any restaurant. We did quite a few winery visits and tastings, the pass was not checked in those venues but they were private. It was not checked at our cooking class, also private. Not checked at the airports or rental cars, though we had to use Verifly to board all of our BA flights.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
You'd think that Paris service employees would be familiar with everything now, but yesterday at the movies I was behind someone showing their CDC card to enter. There was a delay (albeit not a great one) because the employee had to ask a colleague to confirm that just one injection was valid with the Janssen vaccine.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by kerouac2
You'd think that Paris service employees would be familiar with everything now, but yesterday at the movies I was behind someone showing their CDC card to enter. There was a delay (albeit not a great one) because the employee had to ask a colleague to confirm that just one injection was valid with the Janssen vaccine.
Do you seriously expect a cinema employee to know/be familiar about every vaccine certificate issued in the world ? Cinema employees are not expected to see a lot of foreigners.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
can someone please tell me the name of the app to download? I see several when I search but not sure which one I should use to scan my CDC card and when/if I get a pass sanitaire
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
can someone please tell me the name of the app to download? I see several when I search but not sure which one I should use to scan my CDC card and when/if I get a pass sanitaire
There is no French app for scanning your CDC card.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having given up on the French website to get a QR code I emailed the Hilton Opera directly about getting a pass sanitaire.

"To go in a restaurant or a museum, a monument, you will have to show a health pass. Most of the time your CDC card will work. However, some restaurants will ask you for a QR code. You can have it only if your have an antigen test done in France (29€/person, valid for 3 days) or if you go to the pharmacy to transform your CDC card to the European version (36€/person, valid all the time)."

So there are two ways to get a pass/QR code? Either an antigen test or CDC card at pharmacy?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Returned Monday, Nov 8 from 10 days in France. Had pass sanitaire and had no problem entering anywhere. Companion had CDC vaccination card and U.S. passport and had no problem entering anywhere also. Was in Paris, Normandy, Mt. St. Michel, and Loire Valley. Everywhere proof of vaccination required to enter any hotel, restaurant, museum, church, ....everything, however very easy with pass sanitaire and/or CDC vaccination card and passport. Don't forget the passport with the CDC vaccination card. Pass sanitaire on phone app and always accepted via the verification by the smartphone at the place being entered.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Do you seriously expect a cinema employee to know/be familiar about every vaccine certificate issued in the world ? Cinema employees are not expected to see a lot of foreigners.
Actually, at UGC Ciné Cité Les Halles, the cinema with the most spectators in the world on its 27 screens and 3.5 million spectators a year (before the pandemic), the employees see huge numbers of foreigners every day and speak multiple languages. (Just for the record, the #2 cinema in the world is in South Korea.)
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Having given up on the French website to get a QR code I emailed the Hilton Opera directly about getting a pass sanitaire.

"To go in a restaurant or a museum, a monument, you will have to show a health pass. Most of the time your CDC card will work. However, some restaurants will ask you for a QR code. You can have it only if your have an antigen test done in France (29€/person, valid for 3 days) or if you go to the pharmacy to transform your CDC card to the European version (36€/person, valid all the time)."

So there are two ways to get a pass/QR code? Either an antigen test or CDC card at pharmacy?
Yes.

Actually there are a couple of other ways, but they'd involve getting the the QR code by uploading your CDC card to a different country's system for issuing visitors' QR codes (e.g., Switzerland). This would only work if you have proof of travel to that country.
enviroian likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally got mine today! I leave one week from today. When I download the pass with QR code I just saved into my photo gallery. Is that all I need to do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.