Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: snic
NOTE: The French government website for applying for a Pass Sanitaire is no longer functional. The information in the Wiki therefore no longer applies. Current advice is to go to a French pharmacy to get your CDC vaccination card converted to a Pass Sanitaire, and in the process be relieved of 36 Euros you didn't really need anyway.

What is a Pass Sanitaire and why would I want one?

The Pass Sanitaire is France's version of the EU Digital Covid Certificate. The Certificate is an electronic pass that shows either that the bearer has been vaccinated against Covid-19 or that the bearer has recently tested negative for Covid-19. It can be used to enter restaurants, lodgings, entertainment venues, museums, public transit, etc. Because it uses the EU standard, holders of the Pass Sanitaire can use it for these purposes all over Europe and in some non-EU countries (see the link above for details).

I'm vaccinated but not a French citizen or a citizen of a country that issues EU Digital Covid Certificates. Can I get a Pass Sanitaire showing I've been vaccinated?
Yes, if you have a travel ticket to France. See details below.

Do I really need a Pass Sanitaire? Can't I just show my American CDC vaccination record or my country's equivalent?
There are many reports of people being able to use their CDC record to enter restaurants, museums etc in France and other parts of Europe, especially in heavily touristed areas. However, there are a few reports of the CDC card being refused. As of this writing, some EU countries have requirements that those who have not been vaccinated must get tested for Covid-19 and show evidence of a recent test in order to enter restaurants etc. If a venue refuses to recognize your foreign certificate, in order to enter you would have to get a Covid test which would be valid for 2 to 3 days.

How do I get a Pass Sanitaire?
1. Go to this website and set up an account.
2. Answer the questions regarding your name, "foreign" address (that is, foreign to France - in other words, your home address outside of France), birth date, travel dates to France, and vaccination details. Upload the required documents, making sure the files are not too big (keep them under a few hundred kb). PDF files work fine. You will need images of:
-your passport
-your travel ticket showing dates of entry and exit from France
-your vaccination record
3. For the very last field ("fait a" - completed at), enter the date, time, and your location
4. Do NOT submit the application yet! See the next section, "When should I submit my application?"

When should I submit my application?
If you submit your application outside of the hours of 6 am to about noon Paris time, most likely your application will sit for weeks before it is reviewed. However, many people have had their applications approved almost instantaneously by submitting between 6 am and noon (12 am to 6 am Eastern time). If your application does not move to review within about 5 minutes after you submit it, simply start a new application and submit that one.

How do I start a new application? Do I need to use a new email address? And how do I submit an additional application for someone else, like a family member?
After you submit your application, click on "Dossiers" on the top of the page. Next to each application you've submitted, there is a link labelled "Actions". Click that and select the option to add a new application. The system will ask you to verify that you really want to do that rather than go to the existing application. Fill out the additional application as described above and submit it. You can use this process to either re-submit an existing application or submit an application for someone else, without having to set up a new account.

How do I know my application was approved?
You will receive an email. Also, in the "Dossiers" list, the status will say "Approved"

My application was approved on the second try. What do I do with the previous application that is still waiting for approval?
Just go to Dossiers, click the Action link, and choose delete (the trash can icon).

My application was approved. Now what do I do?
Your email will contain a link to a PDF file (also available for download from the "Dossiers" page). The file contains a QR code and your vaccination details. This is your Pass Sanitaire. You could just print this out and show it on demand, and/or you can make a digital version that is stored on your phone (see below). It's probably a good idea to print out a copy to take with you even if you make a digital version, in case your phone gets lost, stolen or damaged.

How do I upload the Pass Sanitaire to my phone?
To make a digital version, you have several options. Each country in Europe has its own app that allows its citizens to store a digital version of their EU Digital Covid Certificate. Some of these are only available to the country's citizens because you have to enter your medical ID number in order to add the Certificate. However, a few countries have apps that anyone can use. France's "TousAntiCovid" app is one of them - you can download it from the Apple or Google app store even in the US. It will allow you to scan the QR code on the Pass Sanitaire you downloaded, and then it will store the code and info for you to display when needed.

Alternatively, you can store your Pass Sanitaire in your Apple Wallet or a third-party wallet app. An easy way to do this is to go to https://www.getcovidpass.eu/ on your phone's web browser and follow the instructions to scan your Certificate. It will then store the pass in your Apple Wallet or, if you use Android, prompt you to download the "YourPass" app that provides the same functionality.

Using either the TousAntiCovid or wallet apps, or the paper certificate, you should be able to use your Pass Sanitaire throughout Europe, not just in France.

Does the Pass expire? Can I use it for multiple trips?
The website of the French consulate in Washington states that the pass for visitors does not expire. You should be able to use it for multiple trips. However, keep in mind that the authorities may change the vaccination requirements in the future (e.g., requiring a third vaccine injection). Your Pass will show only the vaccines you've received prior to submitting your application, so it would be rejected if your vaccines no longer meet the requirements.

I'm not visiting France. Are there other ways for non-Europeans to get a EU Digital Covid Certificate?
Yes. Some ways that have been reported to work:
1. Ask a pharmacist in Germany to convert your CDC card to a EU QR code. There are mixed reports of success with this; see the Germany forum and the top of this thread.
2. Upload your CDC card to the health department of a Swiss canton. There are reports of people getting a QR code without even even sending proof of a stay in Switzerland. See the same thread linked to just above, posts starting around October 16, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bukzin
What is BP? Thx
Boarding pass.

As of today (April 7th) is Air France still operating their Ready2Fly system?
Yes, they do.

Secondly, anyone have an update on what is currently suggested (or required) for a France to Italy trip?
(coming first from US)
Look at Traveldoc or Timatic
https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TZ-...uirements.htm#
bukzin likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:10 pm

What is BP? Thx
Boarding pass (I asked that too)
Old Apr 9, 2022, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Boarding pass.

Yes, they do.

Look at Traveldoc or Timatic
https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TZ-...uirements.htm#
Thanks for those links. Unfortunately both open but can’t get them to take my travel info.

On an iPad. Anyone else get them to work?
Old Apr 9, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
For Italy, fully vaccinated travellers only need to fill in the Italian PLF. The ministero della salute has all the information. I think tests work too if not boosted. The green pass is still in force in a number of settings though.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for those links. Unfortunately both open but can’t get them to take my travel info.

On an iPad. Anyone else get them to work?
It works very well for me on my iPad.
bukzin likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:01 am

Do they still ask for any passes/vaccination cards/... in France? I'm a European citizen that had 2 doses of the vaccine (more than 9 months ago - no booster) and I'm leaving for France in 2 days. Since life is pretty much back to normal in my country I didn't really think about it, but I remember on my last trip to France that in most hotels and restaurants I had to show my vaccination certificate. Is this still the case?
Old May 17, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Nope. Haven't used the app in months, except once when boarding an intra-Europe flight.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
The only establishments requiring a pass vaccinal are hospitals and nursing homes at the present time. They also require masks. You should theoretically also wear a mask in pharmacies, but this is not being enforced.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:20 am

We are fully vaccinated, traveling to France on KLM/AF next week, ORD to AMS to LYS. I am seeing on the AF and KLM pages that France requires that "Passengers must hold an insurance certificate covering all medical, hospital and death-related expenses during their stay in France, including the cost of repatriation for medical reasons. The certificate must be translated into English."

Does anyone know how to satisfy this requirement? Just bring a copy of our American insurance card? Or do we have to bring a document outlining all these terms?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mpchurnchi
We are fully vaccinated, traveling to France on KLM/AF next week, ORD to AMS to LYS. I am seeing on the AF and KLM pages that France requires that "Passengers must hold an insurance certificate covering all medical, hospital and death-related expenses during their stay in France, including the cost of repatriation for medical reasons. The certificate must be translated into English."

Does anyone know how to satisfy this requirement? Just bring a copy of our American insurance card? Or do we have to bring a document outlining all these terms?
I think you may be reading the section that doesn't apply to vaccinated Americans or Europeans. What is the link?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I think you may be reading the section that doesn't apply to vaccinated Americans or Europeans. What is the link?
Here is the link: https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero/results

I entered connecting, ORD to AMS to LYS, and I saw those lines under COVID info.

But I just spoke to someone at KLM who confirmed we do not need it (we are fully vaccinated). So, guess we're all OK. Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:49 am

Thank you for your question as I did not know about this requirement. I have an upcoming trip myself and I have already purchased travel insurance. I checked my documents and there is a letter that says it covers sickness, including covid and medical evacuation and repatriation. SO if you need something like that, perhaps you can price out a medical insurance policy.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by o2bmmw
Thank you for your question as I did not know about this requirement. I have an upcoming trip myself and I have already purchased travel insurance. I checked my documents and there is a letter that says it covers sickness, including covid and medical evacuation and repatriation. SO if you need something like that, perhaps you can price out a medical insurance policy.
Thanks. I spoke to KLM, and it turns out we do not need that for entry to France.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:17 am

Thanks. I spoke to KLM, and it turns out we do not need that for entry to France.
Thanks for following up!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
I had certainly never heard of such madness. Generally, insurance proof is only required for long term visas. Can you imagine if everybody crossing the French border needed special insurance?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.