Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: snic
NOTE: The French government website for applying for a Pass Sanitaire is no longer functional. The information in the Wiki therefore no longer applies. Current advice is to go to a French pharmacy to get your CDC vaccination card converted to a Pass Sanitaire, and in the process be relieved of 36 Euros you didn't really need anyway.

What is a Pass Sanitaire and why would I want one?

The Pass Sanitaire is France's version of the EU Digital Covid Certificate. The Certificate is an electronic pass that shows either that the bearer has been vaccinated against Covid-19 or that the bearer has recently tested negative for Covid-19. It can be used to enter restaurants, lodgings, entertainment venues, museums, public transit, etc. Because it uses the EU standard, holders of the Pass Sanitaire can use it for these purposes all over Europe and in some non-EU countries (see the link above for details).

I'm vaccinated but not a French citizen or a citizen of a country that issues EU Digital Covid Certificates. Can I get a Pass Sanitaire showing I've been vaccinated?
Yes, if you have a travel ticket to France. See details below.

Do I really need a Pass Sanitaire? Can't I just show my American CDC vaccination record or my country's equivalent?
There are many reports of people being able to use their CDC record to enter restaurants, museums etc in France and other parts of Europe, especially in heavily touristed areas. However, there are a few reports of the CDC card being refused. As of this writing, some EU countries have requirements that those who have not been vaccinated must get tested for Covid-19 and show evidence of a recent test in order to enter restaurants etc. If a venue refuses to recognize your foreign certificate, in order to enter you would have to get a Covid test which would be valid for 2 to 3 days.

How do I get a Pass Sanitaire?
1. Go to this website and set up an account.
2. Answer the questions regarding your name, "foreign" address (that is, foreign to France - in other words, your home address outside of France), birth date, travel dates to France, and vaccination details. Upload the required documents, making sure the files are not too big (keep them under a few hundred kb). PDF files work fine. You will need images of:
-your passport
-your travel ticket showing dates of entry and exit from France
-your vaccination record
3. For the very last field ("fait a" - completed at), enter the date, time, and your location
4. Do NOT submit the application yet! See the next section, "When should I submit my application?"

When should I submit my application?
If you submit your application outside of the hours of 6 am to about noon Paris time, most likely your application will sit for weeks before it is reviewed. However, many people have had their applications approved almost instantaneously by submitting between 6 am and noon (12 am to 6 am Eastern time). If your application does not move to review within about 5 minutes after you submit it, simply start a new application and submit that one.

How do I start a new application? Do I need to use a new email address? And how do I submit an additional application for someone else, like a family member?
After you submit your application, click on "Dossiers" on the top of the page. Next to each application you've submitted, there is a link labelled "Actions". Click that and select the option to add a new application. The system will ask you to verify that you really want to do that rather than go to the existing application. Fill out the additional application as described above and submit it. You can use this process to either re-submit an existing application or submit an application for someone else, without having to set up a new account.

How do I know my application was approved?
You will receive an email. Also, in the "Dossiers" list, the status will say "Approved"

My application was approved on the second try. What do I do with the previous application that is still waiting for approval?
Just go to Dossiers, click the Action link, and choose delete (the trash can icon).

My application was approved. Now what do I do?
Your email will contain a link to a PDF file (also available for download from the "Dossiers" page). The file contains a QR code and your vaccination details. This is your Pass Sanitaire. You could just print this out and show it on demand, and/or you can make a digital version that is stored on your phone (see below). It's probably a good idea to print out a copy to take with you even if you make a digital version, in case your phone gets lost, stolen or damaged.

How do I upload the Pass Sanitaire to my phone?
To make a digital version, you have several options. Each country in Europe has its own app that allows its citizens to store a digital version of their EU Digital Covid Certificate. Some of these are only available to the country's citizens because you have to enter your medical ID number in order to add the Certificate. However, a few countries have apps that anyone can use. France's "TousAntiCovid" app is one of them - you can download it from the Apple or Google app store even in the US. It will allow you to scan the QR code on the Pass Sanitaire you downloaded, and then it will store the code and info for you to display when needed.

Alternatively, you can store your Pass Sanitaire in your Apple Wallet or a third-party wallet app. An easy way to do this is to go to https://www.getcovidpass.eu/ on your phone's web browser and follow the instructions to scan your Certificate. It will then store the pass in your Apple Wallet or, if you use Android, prompt you to download the "YourPass" app that provides the same functionality.

Using either the TousAntiCovid or wallet apps, or the paper certificate, you should be able to use your Pass Sanitaire throughout Europe, not just in France.

Does the Pass expire? Can I use it for multiple trips?
The website of the French consulate in Washington states that the pass for visitors does not expire. You should be able to use it for multiple trips. However, keep in mind that the authorities may change the vaccination requirements in the future (e.g., requiring a third vaccine injection). Your Pass will show only the vaccines you've received prior to submitting your application, so it would be rejected if your vaccines no longer meet the requirements.

I'm not visiting France. Are there other ways for non-Europeans to get a EU Digital Covid Certificate?
Yes. Some ways that have been reported to work:
1. Ask a pharmacist in Germany to convert your CDC card to a EU QR code. There are mixed reports of success with this; see the Germany forum and the top of this thread.
2. Upload your CDC card to the health department of a Swiss canton. There are reports of people getting a QR code without even even sending proof of a stay in Switzerland. See the same thread linked to just above, posts starting around October 16, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Mrs. Majuki and I were in Paris on Sunday. We used the pass sanitaire to board Eurostar as well as to have dinner in Paris on Sunday night. There was an employee scanning the QR codes at the door, and the pass worked without any hiccups. We were only in town on Sunday, so we didn't have more time to collect additional data points.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: AC SE
Having read through much of this thread, I find myself a little confused and wonder if you can offer clarity.

Background: My daughter received her second Pfizer vaccine on April 28 (in the USA); I received my second Moderna vaccine on June 12 (in Canada). I am 45 years old. We plan to visit Paris for a few days beginning December 20.

First question: Will we be considered fully vaccinated in France? My understanding is that we will be considered fully vaccinated until January 15 when a 7-month rule comes into effect and we would need to have a booster. Is that true?

Second question: Will we need to get the Pass Sanitaire to get into restaurants and tourist spots in Paris, or will our Canadian and American proof of vaccination be sufficient?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Having read through much of this thread, I find myself a little confused and wonder if you can offer clarity.

Background: My daughter received her second Pfizer vaccine on April 28 (in the USA); I received my second Moderna vaccine on June 12 (in Canada). I am 45 years old. We plan to visit Paris for a few days beginning December 20.

First question: Will we be considered fully vaccinated in France? My understanding is that we will be considered fully vaccinated until January 15 when a 7-month rule comes into effect and we would need to have a booster. Is that true?

Second question: Will we need to get the Pass Sanitaire to get into restaurants and tourist spots in Paris, or will our Canadian and American proof of vaccination be sufficient?
My understanding is that the new rule takes effect Jan 15th, so you both should be all set for Dec trip. As for if US CDC card is sufficient(no idea about Canada ), seems most likely yes, but not guaranteed. Best bet is to go to pharmacy on the list and get the health pass.
Majuki, LETTERBOY and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:31 am

"On December 1, the French government announced new testing requirements for people entering France. Beginning December 4, all people age 12 and over entering France from outside the European Union will require a negative COVID test performed within 48 hours before departure, regardless of their vaccination status. Unvaccinated people entering France from another EU member country will need to have a negative Covid test performed in the 24 hours before their trip. Fully vaccinated people with a French or EU health pass will not require a test."

If true, all those getting the pass saved the trouble of testing.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TomMM
Go to a pharmacy and get issued a new pass. That's my plan.
Can we no longer email a photo of our CDC card to the local French embassy to get a QR code?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Can we no longer email a photo of our CDC card to the local French embassy to get a QR code?
Bygone days. The current process is to visit a pharmacy.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by theplayer
"On December 1, the French government announced new testing requirements for people entering France. Beginning December 4, all people age 12 and over entering France from outside the European Union will require a negative COVID test performed within 48 hours before departure, regardless of their vaccination status. Unvaccinated people entering France from another EU member country will need to have a negative Covid test performed in the 24 hours before their trip. Fully vaccinated people with a French or EU health pass will not require a test."

If true, all those getting the pass saved the trouble of testing.
Note that the bolded part applies to travel from another EU country to France, NOT from the USA to France. The official testing requirements are here:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...ational-travel

The USA and UK are amber list countries, so the requirements are:
"If already vaccinated, you shall provide evidence of your vaccination status, a sworn statement certifying the absence of COVID-19 symptoms and of any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19, as well as results of a virological (PCR) or antigen screening test taken less than 48 hours prior to departure that did not detect any COVID-19 contamination, in order to enter Metropolitan France."

Canada is a green list country so no test required unless not vaccinated.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
To clarify, as a US citizen coming from another EU country prior to France. I need an antigen test or not?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
To clarify, as a US citizen coming from another EU country prior to France. I need an antigen test or not?
The website doesn't say anything about nationality, so presumably this applies to everyone traveling from another EU country to France:

"If you are already vaccinated, you must present proof of vaccination status and a sworn statement attesting to the absence of symptoms of covid-19 infection and contact with a confirmed case of covid-19."
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by snic
The website doesn't say anything about nationality, so presumably this applies to everyone traveling from another EU country to France:

"If you are already vaccinated, you must present proof of vaccination status and a sworn statement attesting to the absence of symptoms of covid-19 infection and contact with a confirmed case of covid-19."
I am faxed + boosted, and arriving by train. So I hope so!
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Note that the bolded part applies to travel from another EU country to France, NOT from the USA to France. The official testing requirements are here:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...ational-travel

Canada is a green list country so no test required unless not vaccinated.
This seems to have changed. The rules applicable from December 4 can be found at https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...t-et-de-voyage Green countries, other than EU and a few others, now require an Antigen or PCR test within 48 hours of flight. This would include Canada. There is also mention of a test upon arrival in France, required on a random basis. The page refers to the Press Release at dp-covid-frontieres-021221.pdf which sets it out fairly clearly. Sorry, but I cannot find versions of these pages in English.

All of which, especially when added to the new Canadian arrival rules, makes me seriously question whether I really want to take the 16 day trip I have planned for January ...
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Stanbury
This seems to have changed. The rules applicable from December 4 can be found at https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...t-et-de-voyage Green countries, other than EU and a few others, now require an Antigen or PCR test within 48 hours of flight. This would include Canada. There is also mention of a test upon arrival in France, required on a random basis. The page refers to the Press Release at dp-covid-frontieres-021221.pdf which sets it out fairly clearly. Sorry, but I cannot find versions of these pages in English.

All of which, especially when added to the new Canadian arrival rules, makes me seriously question whether I really want to take the 16 day trip I have planned for January ...
Your first link is actually the French version of the page I linked to. The French version presumably is definitive.

As of now the English version still says that those entering from green list countries (including Canada) don't need a test if vaccinated. Very confusing, and frustrating, that the two versions say different things.

Last edited by snic; Dec 5, 2021 at 5:20 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Your first link is actually the French version of the page I linked to, which presumably is definitive.

As of now the English version still says that those entering from green list countries (including Canada) don't need a test if vaccinated. Very confusing, and frustrating, that the two versions say different things.
Coming from Australia (green list) I had a feeling this would happen.
the best option for me for a test is Histopath, located at Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane international airports, they offer results within 90 minutes - I was anxious about getting my result in time.
https://www.histopath.com.au/locations/airport

Unfortunately I’m leaving for France two days before I’m due for my booster, hopefully they won’t be too strict and I’ll be able to get it a few days early. Any Aussies had first hand experience with getting a booster early? I could get it when I arrive, but I’d rather get it here before I leave.

(Update: the AFF forum has several members who have been able to get their booster early, some without question, others by explaining that they’re travelling)

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Dec 4, 2021 at 12:54 pm
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
We just flew LH from Germany to France. Not only did we not need to show an antigen test, but there weren't even any checks for vaccine documentation. We were quite surprised!

YMMV, of course.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
We just flew LH from Germany to France. Not only did we not need to show an antigen test, but there weren't even any checks for vaccine documentation. We were quite surprised!

YMMV, of course.
thank you for sharing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.