Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: snic
NOTE: The French government website for applying for a Pass Sanitaire is no longer functional. The information in the Wiki therefore no longer applies. Current advice is to go to a French pharmacy to get your CDC vaccination card converted to a Pass Sanitaire, and in the process be relieved of 36 Euros you didn't really need anyway.

What is a Pass Sanitaire and why would I want one?

The Pass Sanitaire is France's version of the EU Digital Covid Certificate. The Certificate is an electronic pass that shows either that the bearer has been vaccinated against Covid-19 or that the bearer has recently tested negative for Covid-19. It can be used to enter restaurants, lodgings, entertainment venues, museums, public transit, etc. Because it uses the EU standard, holders of the Pass Sanitaire can use it for these purposes all over Europe and in some non-EU countries (see the link above for details).

I'm vaccinated but not a French citizen or a citizen of a country that issues EU Digital Covid Certificates. Can I get a Pass Sanitaire showing I've been vaccinated?
Yes, if you have a travel ticket to France. See details below.

Do I really need a Pass Sanitaire? Can't I just show my American CDC vaccination record or my country's equivalent?
There are many reports of people being able to use their CDC record to enter restaurants, museums etc in France and other parts of Europe, especially in heavily touristed areas. However, there are a few reports of the CDC card being refused. As of this writing, some EU countries have requirements that those who have not been vaccinated must get tested for Covid-19 and show evidence of a recent test in order to enter restaurants etc. If a venue refuses to recognize your foreign certificate, in order to enter you would have to get a Covid test which would be valid for 2 to 3 days.

How do I get a Pass Sanitaire?
1. Go to this website and set up an account.
2. Answer the questions regarding your name, "foreign" address (that is, foreign to France - in other words, your home address outside of France), birth date, travel dates to France, and vaccination details. Upload the required documents, making sure the files are not too big (keep them under a few hundred kb). PDF files work fine. You will need images of:
-your passport
-your travel ticket showing dates of entry and exit from France
-your vaccination record
3. For the very last field ("fait a" - completed at), enter the date, time, and your location
4. Do NOT submit the application yet! See the next section, "When should I submit my application?"

When should I submit my application?
If you submit your application outside of the hours of 6 am to about noon Paris time, most likely your application will sit for weeks before it is reviewed. However, many people have had their applications approved almost instantaneously by submitting between 6 am and noon (12 am to 6 am Eastern time). If your application does not move to review within about 5 minutes after you submit it, simply start a new application and submit that one.

How do I start a new application? Do I need to use a new email address? And how do I submit an additional application for someone else, like a family member?
After you submit your application, click on "Dossiers" on the top of the page. Next to each application you've submitted, there is a link labelled "Actions". Click that and select the option to add a new application. The system will ask you to verify that you really want to do that rather than go to the existing application. Fill out the additional application as described above and submit it. You can use this process to either re-submit an existing application or submit an application for someone else, without having to set up a new account.

How do I know my application was approved?
You will receive an email. Also, in the "Dossiers" list, the status will say "Approved"

My application was approved on the second try. What do I do with the previous application that is still waiting for approval?
Just go to Dossiers, click the Action link, and choose delete (the trash can icon).

My application was approved. Now what do I do?
Your email will contain a link to a PDF file (also available for download from the "Dossiers" page). The file contains a QR code and your vaccination details. This is your Pass Sanitaire. You could just print this out and show it on demand, and/or you can make a digital version that is stored on your phone (see below). It's probably a good idea to print out a copy to take with you even if you make a digital version, in case your phone gets lost, stolen or damaged.

How do I upload the Pass Sanitaire to my phone?
To make a digital version, you have several options. Each country in Europe has its own app that allows its citizens to store a digital version of their EU Digital Covid Certificate. Some of these are only available to the country's citizens because you have to enter your medical ID number in order to add the Certificate. However, a few countries have apps that anyone can use. France's "TousAntiCovid" app is one of them - you can download it from the Apple or Google app store even in the US. It will allow you to scan the QR code on the Pass Sanitaire you downloaded, and then it will store the code and info for you to display when needed.

Alternatively, you can store your Pass Sanitaire in your Apple Wallet or a third-party wallet app. An easy way to do this is to go to https://www.getcovidpass.eu/ on your phone's web browser and follow the instructions to scan your Certificate. It will then store the pass in your Apple Wallet or, if you use Android, prompt you to download the "YourPass" app that provides the same functionality.

Using either the TousAntiCovid or wallet apps, or the paper certificate, you should be able to use your Pass Sanitaire throughout Europe, not just in France.

Does the Pass expire? Can I use it for multiple trips?
The website of the French consulate in Washington states that the pass for visitors does not expire. You should be able to use it for multiple trips. However, keep in mind that the authorities may change the vaccination requirements in the future (e.g., requiring a third vaccine injection). Your Pass will show only the vaccines you've received prior to submitting your application, so it would be rejected if your vaccines no longer meet the requirements.

I'm not visiting France. Are there other ways for non-Europeans to get a EU Digital Covid Certificate?
Yes. Some ways that have been reported to work:
1. Ask a pharmacist in Germany to convert your CDC card to a EU QR code. There are mixed reports of success with this; see the Germany forum and the top of this thread.
2. Upload your CDC card to the health department of a Swiss canton. There are reports of people getting a QR code without even even sending proof of a stay in Switzerland. See the same thread linked to just above, posts starting around October 16, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:24 pm

Myself and family (5) are going in a couple of weeks to Paris for the traditional 5-day whirlwind tour (name a traditional spot, and we're going to it). For the five days, I'm wondering if it's worth the 35 Euros times five visitors, or if we can "get away with" showing our Canadian QR codes and passport. Any advice would be much appruciated.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by EvilSilentBob
Myself and family (5) are going in a couple of weeks to Paris for the traditional 5-day whirlwind tour (name a traditional spot, and we're going to it). For the five days, I'm wondering if it's worth the 35 Euros times five visitors, or if we can "get away with" showing our Canadian QR codes and passport. Any advice would be much appruciated.
Write your Canadian Member of Parliament (MP) and ask them have Canada joint the EU DCC system. Some non-EU countries such as Panama and Singapore have recently joined the EU DCC system and their QR codes can be read in the EU.
EvilSilentBob likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by daniellam
Write your Canadian Member of Parliament (MP) and ask them have Canada joint the EU DCC system. Some non-EU countries such as Panama and Singapore have recently joined the EU DCC system and their QR codes can be read in the EU.
Since his trip is in a couple of weeks, I don't think that will bear results in time.
EvilSilentBob likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
There's no "if" about it. The application for the Pass Sanitaire issued to tourists by the now dead website required a "country of vaccination" input. It doesn't look as though that's going to matter, however. We'll see, I suppose, but I'm not optimistic (as I said above).
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Because you're sticking to "traditional" tourist sites, my guess based on everything I've read so far is that the Canadian vax proof will be sufficient. If that proves not to be the case, you can go to a pharmacy and spend the euros there to get European QR codes.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
It would be totally scandalous if France exempted visitors from the rules applied to French residents. We don't really want you foreigners possibly contaminating us.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Was anyone asking for an exemption?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:03 am

Are the rapid antigen tests now only effective for 24 hrs vs 72 hrs?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by snic
Was anyone asking for an exemption?
Very often, tourists seem to think they deserve special privileges. Just listen to any tourist stopped by the fare checkers in the metro for having the wrong ticket. "Oh, I didn't understand the rules. I'm just a tourist."
BadgerBoi likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Yes, except for two things. First, and as I said above, it's not yet certain that the Passes issued to foreign tourists and those issued to residents of France will expire on the same schedule. And second, having the French app on your phone already and understanding how the whole thing works will make things easier for you to manage than they would've been had you not had this experience. Also, and this is somewhat beside the point here, it would appear from the many data points above in this thread that a CDC card still works fine in big places like Paris.

Or at least that's how I console myself. Let us know if you come across any better or more up-to-date information.
Here is the government website with that info. Updated yesterday.

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...ualites/A15318

So from December 15th, anyone over 65 or anyone of any age who had the J&J jab more than 3 months ago must get a booster.

I just got my booster in NYC, but I'm not sure how I can add it to my Pass Sanitaire because there is some language on another site that I have to open another dossier. This because I got my booster in another country after I already had the original in the pass sanitaire. Not sure what exactly I'm supposed to do when I'm in France after December 15th.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by snic
Because you're sticking to "traditional" tourist sites, my guess based on everything I've read so far is that the Canadian vax proof will be sufficient. If that proves not to be the case, you can go to a pharmacy and spend the euros there to get European QR codes.
Yep, plan A and B. I also applied, and succeeded, in getting a QR code from the government of Belgium, which should be allowed anywhere in the EU/UK/Iceland.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy

I just got my booster in NYC, but I'm not sure how I can add it to my Pass Sanitaire because there is some language on another site that I have to open another dossier. This because I got my booster in another country after I already had the original in the pass sanitaire. Not sure what exactly I'm supposed to do when I'm in France after December 15th.
Go to a pharmacy and get issued a new pass. That's my plan.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Yep, plan A and B. I also applied, and succeeded, in getting a QR code from the government of Belgium, which should be allowed anywhere in the EU/UK/Iceland.
I would be very interested in knowing how you did that. I presume you are referring to the Belgian CST (Covid Safe Ticket). I would be very grateful if you were willing to share details of how you got this. Did you use the form on the page page
https://coronavirus.brussels/en/belg...or-foreigners/
which you can complete to get a CST? Or did you use some other method? I ask, as I notice that the page says this about the CST obtained in this way:
This Belgian CST can be used to travel to Belgium, but not to other countries.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:48 pm

You read something I failed to read, that it's only useful in the country of issue. (Which is strange, but who am I to judge?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Here is the government website with that info. Updated yesterday.

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...ualites/A15318

So from December 15th, anyone over 65 or anyone of any age who had the J&J jab more than 3 months ago must get a booster.

I'm in the same boat. I guess I will have to go to a pharmacy to get a new pass. I assume my current pass will automatically be deactivated on Jan 15th...or will there be a 7 day grace period?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.