Reload this Page >

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: snic
NOTE: The French government website for applying for a Pass Sanitaire is no longer functional. The information in the Wiki therefore no longer applies. Current advice is to go to a French pharmacy to get your CDC vaccination card converted to a Pass Sanitaire, and in the process be relieved of 36 Euros you didn't really need anyway.

What is a Pass Sanitaire and why would I want one?

The Pass Sanitaire is France's version of the EU Digital Covid Certificate. The Certificate is an electronic pass that shows either that the bearer has been vaccinated against Covid-19 or that the bearer has recently tested negative for Covid-19. It can be used to enter restaurants, lodgings, entertainment venues, museums, public transit, etc. Because it uses the EU standard, holders of the Pass Sanitaire can use it for these purposes all over Europe and in some non-EU countries (see the link above for details).

I'm vaccinated but not a French citizen or a citizen of a country that issues EU Digital Covid Certificates. Can I get a Pass Sanitaire showing I've been vaccinated?
Yes, if you have a travel ticket to France. See details below.

Do I really need a Pass Sanitaire? Can't I just show my American CDC vaccination record or my country's equivalent?
There are many reports of people being able to use their CDC record to enter restaurants, museums etc in France and other parts of Europe, especially in heavily touristed areas. However, there are a few reports of the CDC card being refused. As of this writing, some EU countries have requirements that those who have not been vaccinated must get tested for Covid-19 and show evidence of a recent test in order to enter restaurants etc. If a venue refuses to recognize your foreign certificate, in order to enter you would have to get a Covid test which would be valid for 2 to 3 days.

How do I get a Pass Sanitaire?
1. Go to this website and set up an account.
2. Answer the questions regarding your name, "foreign" address (that is, foreign to France - in other words, your home address outside of France), birth date, travel dates to France, and vaccination details. Upload the required documents, making sure the files are not too big (keep them under a few hundred kb). PDF files work fine. You will need images of:
-your passport
-your travel ticket showing dates of entry and exit from France
-your vaccination record
3. For the very last field ("fait a" - completed at), enter the date, time, and your location
4. Do NOT submit the application yet! See the next section, "When should I submit my application?"

When should I submit my application?
If you submit your application outside of the hours of 6 am to about noon Paris time, most likely your application will sit for weeks before it is reviewed. However, many people have had their applications approved almost instantaneously by submitting between 6 am and noon (12 am to 6 am Eastern time). If your application does not move to review within about 5 minutes after you submit it, simply start a new application and submit that one.

How do I start a new application? Do I need to use a new email address? And how do I submit an additional application for someone else, like a family member?
After you submit your application, click on "Dossiers" on the top of the page. Next to each application you've submitted, there is a link labelled "Actions". Click that and select the option to add a new application. The system will ask you to verify that you really want to do that rather than go to the existing application. Fill out the additional application as described above and submit it. You can use this process to either re-submit an existing application or submit an application for someone else, without having to set up a new account.

How do I know my application was approved?
You will receive an email. Also, in the "Dossiers" list, the status will say "Approved"

My application was approved on the second try. What do I do with the previous application that is still waiting for approval?
Just go to Dossiers, click the Action link, and choose delete (the trash can icon).

My application was approved. Now what do I do?
Your email will contain a link to a PDF file (also available for download from the "Dossiers" page). The file contains a QR code and your vaccination details. This is your Pass Sanitaire. You could just print this out and show it on demand, and/or you can make a digital version that is stored on your phone (see below). It's probably a good idea to print out a copy to take with you even if you make a digital version, in case your phone gets lost, stolen or damaged.

How do I upload the Pass Sanitaire to my phone?
To make a digital version, you have several options. Each country in Europe has its own app that allows its citizens to store a digital version of their EU Digital Covid Certificate. Some of these are only available to the country's citizens because you have to enter your medical ID number in order to add the Certificate. However, a few countries have apps that anyone can use. France's "TousAntiCovid" app is one of them - you can download it from the Apple or Google app store even in the US. It will allow you to scan the QR code on the Pass Sanitaire you downloaded, and then it will store the code and info for you to display when needed.

Alternatively, you can store your Pass Sanitaire in your Apple Wallet or a third-party wallet app. An easy way to do this is to go to https://www.getcovidpass.eu/ on your phone's web browser and follow the instructions to scan your Certificate. It will then store the pass in your Apple Wallet or, if you use Android, prompt you to download the "YourPass" app that provides the same functionality.

Using either the TousAntiCovid or wallet apps, or the paper certificate, you should be able to use your Pass Sanitaire throughout Europe, not just in France.

Does the Pass expire? Can I use it for multiple trips?
The website of the French consulate in Washington states that the pass for visitors does not expire. You should be able to use it for multiple trips. However, keep in mind that the authorities may change the vaccination requirements in the future (e.g., requiring a third vaccine injection). Your Pass will show only the vaccines you've received prior to submitting your application, so it would be rejected if your vaccines no longer meet the requirements.

I'm not visiting France. Are there other ways for non-Europeans to get a EU Digital Covid Certificate?
Yes. Some ways that have been reported to work:
1. Ask a pharmacist in Germany to convert your CDC card to a EU QR code. There are mixed reports of success with this; see the Germany forum and the top of this thread.
2. Upload your CDC card to the health department of a Swiss canton. There are reports of people getting a QR code without even even sending proof of a stay in Switzerland. See the same thread linked to just above, posts starting around October 16, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Expansion of the pass sanitaire

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
The strategy worked for me, too, after my first submission went into limbo for a week. This was an extremely helpful thread.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
If you're not visiting just France, and likely have separate tickets into-France and out-of-France (possibly to/from other parts of Europe), is it sufficient to upload an inbound-ticket, and an outbound-ticket? Possibly combining them into one file before uploading?

The way the form is written makes it seem like it's geared towards those with a simple return ticket in/out of France from their home country.
I merged my inbound and outbound PDFs. I remember seeing somewhere they wanted to see both the in and out ticket transport - not necessarily to your home country.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by klanfa
I have no idea who the genius is behind the 6am strategy, but it's just amazing. Thank you!!!

Applied 10 minutes ago (6:25 am CET), received an approval within 5 minutes. My application was in processing practically instantly (got the "applied" and "in review" emails together).
Also as a data point, my arrival is in 2 days. I had my first application from early Sep take 25 days (I left France before it was processed -> application refused), second one didn't start review for 5 days already.
I submitted two applications half an hour after you did. Still "en construction". Travel is in December, though.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sonomawine
The first one took 5 tries, the 2nd & 3rd went through with the first attempt and the 4th took 10 tries but finally was issued this morning.
How long did you wait to submit new requests between all these attempts? I just submitted my 2nd request.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by enviroian
How long did you wait to submit new requests between all these attempts? I just submitted my 2nd request.
If the application didn't move into the review status for more than 5 minutes, I deleted and reprocessed. Once an application was accepted and reviewed it was approved in about 4-5 minutes.
Happy, snic and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
If you're not visiting just France, and likely have separate tickets into-France and out-of-France (possibly to/from other parts of Europe), is it sufficient to upload an inbound-ticket, and an outbound-ticket? Possibly combining them into one file before uploading?

The way the form is written makes it seem like it's geared towards those with a simple return ticket in/out of France from their home country.
Two hopefully useful data points:
In my case I had 2 separate one-way tickets, YWG-CDG and CDG-YWG. I combined them into a single PDF.
In my wife's case, she has a one-way YWG-CDG and a open jaw CDG-YWG-FCO. I combined the first of these with the first part of the second into a single PDF.
As reported earlier, we played the 1 am CDT game and both passes were received within 2 minutes.
I have been in France for 1 week and have been asked for the PS exactly once, when entering a coffee bar at CDG. The young lady looked, visually, at the QR code for 2 seconds and said c'est bon! The pain au chocolat was excellent BTW ...
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
If the application didn't move into the review status for more than 5 minutes, I deleted and reprocessed. Once an application was accepted and reviewed it was approved in about 4-5 minutes.
It's been here since I submitted 3 hours ago. Try again?
  • in progress
  • undergoing review
  • completed
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by klanfa
I merged my inbound and outbound PDFs. I remember seeing somewhere they wanted to see both the in and out ticket transport - not necessarily to your home country.
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Two hopefully useful data points:
In my case I had 2 separate one-way tickets, YWG-CDG and CDG-YWG. I combined them into a single PDF.
In my wife's case, she has a one-way YWG-CDG and a open jaw CDG-YWG-FCO. I combined the first of these with the first part of the second into a single PDF.
As reported earlier, we played the 1 am CDT game and both passes were received within 2 minutes.
I have been in France for 1 week and have been asked for the PS exactly once, when entering a coffee bar at CDG. The young lady looked, visually, at the QR code for 2 seconds and said c'est bon! The pain au chocolat was excellent BTW ...
Noted. Thanks to you both.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
How do you delete the old, un-needed application? I don't see any way to do that?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by BigE
How do you delete the old, un-needed application? I don't see any way to do that?
actions>delete file
Old Oct 8, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Finally received but ultimately not necessary

During dinner at about 10:30pm last night, on the final night of a 5 night stay, my wife and I finally received our approvals. Here is the thing: at least in Paris, the passe sanitaire was completely unnecessary. For those places that even bothered to check (the Louvre and Versailles among them), the CDC card was sufficient. Maybe half of the cafes and restaurants we visited even bothered to ask.

We had sent in our submission 27 days prior to our departure. About 3 days prior, I updated our itinerary and asked (in French) for an update. During the whole period, it remained in the “construction” phase until final approval last night. We did not attempt the “resubmission” trick that others have used.

We were so amused by the late arrival that we insisted our waiter (who had seen our CDC cards previously) scan our codes just so we could say we used it. He happily obliged!
enviroian and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by socalduck
During dinner at about 10:30pm last night, on the final night of a 5 night stay, my wife and I finally received our approvals. Here is the thing: at least in Paris, the passe sanitaire was completely unnecessary. For those places that even bothered to check (the Louvre and Versailles among them), the CDC card was sufficient. Maybe half of the cafes and restaurants we visited even bothered to ask.

We had sent in our submission 27 days prior to our departure. About 3 days prior, I updated our itinerary and asked (in French) for an update. During the whole period, it remained in the “construction” phase until final approval last night. We did not attempt the “resubmission” trick that others have used.

We were so amused by the late arrival that we insisted our waiter (who had seen our CDC cards previously) scan our codes just so we could say we used it. He happily obliged!
that is one late meal lol
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by socalduck

Socalduck….thank you for your post….waiting since 9/12 but we have some time to submit new dossiers…travel in December.

I was happy to hear that your CDC cards were accepted at the Louvre and Versailles.
socalduck and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by nalismom
Socalduck….thank you for your post….waiting since 9/12 but we have some time to submit new dossiers…travel in December.

I was happy to hear that your CDC cards were accepted at the Louvre and Versailles.
Yes, you should be fine regardless, and have a great trip. I’m in Ireland now, and have used the passe sanitaire a couple times, which means I can leave the CDC card at the hotel. So, despite the delayed processing, it was not a total waste of time.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by elrednaxela
In the Netherlands, as a tourist you either need the EU Covid Certificate or do daily antigen testing in order to get into restaurants or attractions. They do not accept the CDC or other vaccination cards. This is why getting a pass sanitaire is very useful because it saves a lot of time.
I am not sure this will work - I have a EU Certificate in the Tous Covid app which shows up as valid in the TAC Verif app. However showing the same French QR code to the NL Coronacheck Scanner app it shows up as not a valid code. My French certificate was created by importing a UK NHS QR code and it shows in the Tous Covid app as a French certificate. So the Netherlands can obviously detect that although it is a French certificate, the vaccinations were made in the UK. It may not be the same for people who have received their pass sanitaire through the application process or at a French pharmacy, but worth checking the Dutch Coronacheck Scanner app to see whether it would pass muster there.
snic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.