Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

"Déconfinement" - France re-opening plans

Old Apr 23, 20, 5:11 am
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster

Restaurants / bar may reopen June 15 or July 1st.
This is NOT official and only what some newspaper are saying

IMHO that will probably happen, the summer vacation are coming
stablemate77 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 20, 6:21 am

I really wouldn't speculate on what will happen on any specific date because although there may be a plan in place, it is likely to be altered depending on events (such as hospital admissions, and the state of the 'curve') between now and the possible date. Don't count on anything being set in stone. Some restrictions that may be initially relaxed may be strengthened again at little or no notice if the situation changes either because of an increased spread of the virus or because of the behaviour of citizens.

In addition, it is suggested today that certain parts of France (regions or departments) may have their restrictions relaxed at different times from others. It would be Russian Roulette to count on restaurants, cafés and bars being open after any particular date (especially in vacation areas), and many hotels will be unable to offer room service if their kitchens did not permit them to do so before the virus, because not a lot will have changed since ... including the furloughing of kitchen and non-essential staff members.

Being optimistic is a good way to get through this confinement, but common sense is still important. Wait and see. Your money will still be good to buy accommodation when you know if the hotel's service facilites can accommodate you besides just buying you a room for the night.

Stay in ... and stay well.
Old Apr 24, 20, 8:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I agree with Alsacienne. The lockdown will be finished by May 11th but it will take an unknown period of time to reinstate a certain level of normality. For example, my employer has informed us that there is no way we are going back to the office before late May, and even then we might first go only for some meetings a few hours per week, while the rest of the time we will keep on teleworking from our homes.

I had a conversation with a friend who wants to book his summer holidays in Provence, and I suggested waiting at least until we know how the déconfinement is going to work, and whether it seems like it will last, as the possibility of a second wave of infections is always there. I am seeing my summer more as day trips to Deauville with a picnic basket than as weeks in the Basque Country or in the Mediterranean (and I'm always talking about domestic travelling, when international travel will resume is another story).
Old Apr 25, 20, 5:58 am
Original Poster

"Déconfinement"

This is more a lighter / different form of confinement than a deconfinement.
Old Apr 26, 20, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
This is more a lighter / different form of confinement than a deconfinement.
Indeed. We need to move away from thinking of confinement/lockdown as a binary on/off switch and instead think of it as a continuum between complete lockdown at one end and complete freedom at the other end, where restrictions are more or less relaxed depending on the evolution of the situation. We know that the plan is to gradually loosen the vise but when and how far is still a matter of conjecture and could easily be reversed at short notice.

Having flexible plans that can also be reversed at short notice would be sensible.
Old May 1, 20, 5:43 am

Now that the Government have made their proposals clear(er) for a progressive movement towards 'liberating' their people, it's still not very clear what's going to happen and when. The plan is to code the map of France by colouring it in relation not only to the number of people who have the virus, who die and who are cured, but also the appropriate medical facilities in each region in relation to handling the ill folk.

Different 'restrictions' will still apply ... depending on the colour of your zone and how the disease progresses in it. The simplest things that are likely to change are movement in terms of distance and by mode of transport, whether or not you need an Attestation, whether you need a face mask in public (and where to get them!), how many people will be allowed to gather in one place, how public distancing can/will work in restaurants, bars, museums, shops etc. Cinemas and theatres are unlikely to open anytime soon. Most if not all the great Summer sporting and cultural events have been cancelled, and it all depends on how things progress until 11 May when new measures could come into effect ... and the word 'could' still applies! Indeed there's another 'date' for examining the nation's health and the COVID-19 situation on 2 June so I would recommend caution and put into place the possibility of refunds for cancelled plans.

The greater danger is that 'freedom from confinement' can lead to complacency ... and we are all aware that a second and subsequent wave of COVID-19 is more than likely ... we just don't know when!
Old May 1, 20, 6:08 am

Programs: too many
Here in Brittany things are not very different from the usual: apart from the closed shops/bars, people are doing business as usual, with social distancing rules. There's hardly any controls: had to go to get my dad from the ER 250km away from my lockdown place, haven't been stopped once, and have never been controlled ever since the confinement started!
Old May 1, 20, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

If I understand correctly the main and almost only differences between the red and green light states will be garden and small museums open or closed
restaurants beaches etc will remains closed regardless of your color.

Yes we’ll of course have a second / third / fourth etc. waves. Why we won’t have more waves?
The virus is still there with more people affected and there are now more people and cars on the street that at the beginning of the confinement. Also it’s still difficult to find masks , we have NO requirement to wear masks in public spaces nationwide, no « stop Covid « app (as « privacy rules « is more important than human life), plus some kids will go back to school.

Also why in France the minimum distance is one meter and in Belgium 1.50 meters and in the US 1.80, seems that we’re not speaking of the same virus

In my opinion a good part of people are not and will continue not to follow social distancing rules.

except if they found drugs or vaccine or if the virus disappeared by itself, I’m not optimistic.
Old May 2, 20, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, the end of the French health state of emergency has been pushed back to July 24th, subject to approval by both houses of Parliament. So, no going back to normalcy, until then and probably not, IMHO, until sometime in 2021.
Old May 4, 20, 12:56 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
The government has issued a very detailed explanation of what to expect in green and red zones as restrictions are eased from May 11th and again from June 1st. Further removal of restrictions will depend upon how well the virus has been controlled. Air France continues limited flights to JFK and SFO but access is tightly controlled, limiting seats to French residents or those with special travel authorization. I understand Delta will begin, if not already in place, limited service from ATL to CDG.

Many believe it will be well into the fall or 2021 before international borders into Schengen countries will fully open.
Old May 4, 20, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

thank you for this documents
Beside garden and high school there are no difference between red and green zone. Why all this buzz about the colors...

it’s hard to seriously predict anything.

on a lighter noter, few michelin star restaurants in France start to offer food delivery, including Ducasse.
Old May 5, 20, 5:18 am

Tamino, a massive thank you for sharing such a clear diagram of the current situation. VERY helpful.
The current situation will be reviewed regularly but it's a great heads-up to have this document ... even from the reddest of red zones!
Old May 5, 20, 4:37 pm

Thanks for posting. Is there a document that references which are high and low areas? Also does the little clock icon in the post 1 June column mean something like "to be determined"?
Old May 6, 20, 5:10 am

For high/low areas you could be close to the mark if you consider the colour code ... red and green. The yellow/orange options are likely to fade away into one of these two. And yes, the ticking clock is for 'undecided as yet after 1 June. We are certainly going to be restricted till at least 24 July.
Old Jun 7, 20, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Restaurants are open since June 2nd nationwide. (Outside only in orange area which is including Paris)
great lunch at Apicius today. Our first restaurant for 3 months.
stablemate77 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: