Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

No hotel reimbursement for 18 months

Old Mar 29, 20, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

We just canceled a June reservation for a small hotel we love in Provence. I’m okay with this policy. I know these small businesses are hurting.

“The French government has issued a law authorizing hôtels not to reimburse the deposit of the guests due to cancellation link to coronavirus
A credit nota of the concerned amount should be issued by the concern entity and to be used within 18 months
If this amount is not used, the guests should claim the reimbursement of the amount at the end of the period
We hope having the pleasure receiving you very soon on the near future

Her after the text of law for your information
Best regards “
Old Mar 30, 20, 5:38 pm

Yes, the law adopted on the 25 of march now says that the hotel can refuse to refund you, and instead give you a voucher, valid for 18 months.

The answer that your hotel gave you is correct regarding the applicable law and understandable especially if it's a small hotel.

Note that this applies for stays between the 1st of march and the 15th of september.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So it becomes a real refund after 18 months? This sounds similar to some airline policies.
Old Apr 4, 20, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
So it becomes a real refund after 18 months? This sounds similar to some airline policies.

Technically yes, but will the small hotel be able to refund you after 18 months through such a crisis ?
stablemate77 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 20, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
If they can’t reimburse me in 18 months. God bless them. My life will not be impacted.
NickB and stablemate77 like this.
Old Apr 10, 20, 6:12 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Do a chargeback.
beachmiles and stablemate77 like this.
Old Apr 10, 20, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Deposit made over 90 days ago
Old May 24, 20, 6:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I received an immediate refund from the Suite Novotel in Nancy when I cancelled right at lockdown. On the other hand, the Ibis Styles in Liège and the Mercure in Luxembourg just validated my credit until 2021.
Old Jun 5, 20, 9:45 pm

starting to understand because of covid crisis french govt not refund we have same problem gite de france thanks for imform as govt ordered hotels not to refund...our deposit will be credit for future use
Old Jun 5, 20, 9:47 pm

hopefully if still in bizness
Old Jun 6, 20, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stablemate77 View Post
govt ordered hotels not to refund...
This is not quite right. The government has not ordered hotels and other temporary accommodation providers to do this. They have adopted a law that allows them to issue a voucher (ultimately refundable if not used but not until next year) instead of refunding. It is still open to them to refund if they wish. It is just that they are no longer legally obliged to do so, at least in the short term.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: