Search

Refund for a non-flex booking 'cancelled' by hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:01 am
R2
Original Poster

Refund for a non-flex booking 'cancelled' by hotel

I hope someone can advise me on the following case:

I had booked a rather expensive small privately run hotel in a ski resort in France for 15-22 March. The booking was non-refundable, non-flexible and I had made it several months in advance. The hotel had charged my credit card at the time as expected.

As I woke up on 15 March I checked my email before leaving for the airport and there was a message marked 'Urgent' from the hotel advising me to cancel my trip due to the annoucement by the French Prime minister previous night. This was the annoucement closing all non-essential restaurants etc businesses. Later that day it was announced that the French ski resorts would close for the season that day so it's good we didn't travel there.

The hotel, which prior to my stay was very responsive to the couple of emails I sent them (always responded within a few hours) has not sent any further message. I understand it's just two days after the event and there is no urgency to deal with it.

However, I am curious if anyone knows what are my rights - can I expect to get a full refund or can the hotel try to get away by claiming 'force majeure'? I would much rather get a full refund than a credit for a future stay. I don't know the French consumer protection laws at all.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Really nothing to say except waiting. Nobody knows what will happen next. And the staff at the hotel you booked will have other concerns for the next days/weeks, as the probability of bankruptcy for those businesses is really high right now.

If you really cannot wait or don't see any sign from the hotel, fill a chargeback with your credit card issuer...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did the property say when you called to cancel? Why on earth is up to the property to cancel your reservation when you still might, despite advice, be arriving? Without knowing what is said when you take it on yourself, having booked, to cancel, why ask here what to expect?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:20 am
R2
Original Poster

I did not (call to) cancel, the hotel sent me an email message the night before check-in date as follows:

[/QUOTE]Please cancel your venue for tomorrow because of the information taken from the French Prime Minister tonight.[QUOTE]

Having checked the news and seen the announcement by the Prime minister, I replied OK we will not be arriving there today which turned out to be the right thing to do as I would not want to spend a day travelling to a ski resort where the ski area is closed for the season.

I was posting this because I think it is an interesting case to share and to get any feedback from anyone who has has a similar experience or happens to know the French consumer protection laws in such a case.

I appreciate they are busy dealing with guests that were already there or did arrive that day. I will give it another day or two and if I don't hear from them I will email / call to enquire about the refund.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:41 pm

So what happened ? I hope they did not interpret your answer as a cancellation from your part.

Originally Posted by R2
I did not (call to) cancel, the hotel sent me an email message the night before check-in date as follows:
Please cancel your venue for tomorrow because of the information taken from the French Prime Minister tonight.

Having checked the news and seen the announcement by the Prime minister, I replied OK we will not be arriving there today which turned out to be the right thing to do as I would not want to spend a day travelling to a ski resort where the ski area is closed for the season.

I was posting this because I think it is an interesting case to share and to get any feedback from anyone who has has a similar experience or happens to know the French consumer protection laws in such a case.

I appreciate they are busy dealing with guests that were already there or did arrive that day. I will give it another day or two and if I don't hear from them I will email / call to enquire about the refund.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
Most chains are refunding no questions asked, but small private hotels are in bad financial shape and many of them are only offering a credit for what you paid valid until 2021.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by kerouac2
Most chains are refunding no questions asked, but small private hotels are in bad financial shape and many of them are only offering a credit for what you paid valid until 2021.
bolding is mine : most chains except Accor. In France, this is a big exception. Accor policy is a total shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.