Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Beef Bourguignon & Fondue recommendations...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Would be grateful for any recommendations for either or both. Staying in the Vendome area and would prefer a place relatively near the area. There was a restaurant across the river that I recall had excellent Bourguignon, but I can't remember the name or the proximity.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great appreciated.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I had a delicious fondue a few weeks ago at Le Marivaux: https://www.lemarivaux.com/en/menus/

It was near my hotel and what I appreciated was that as a solo diner, I could order fondue for one - many restaurants only offer it for two or more. It's not too far from Vendome - an 11 minute walk according to Google Maps:
Visconti and ajGoes like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I recommend Comptoir de la Gastronomie, 34 rue Montmartre. Right at the edge of the foodie district Montorgeuill. Its only 15 minutes walk from Vendome.

I don't know if they have boeuf bourguiginon, but they have many other classic dishes - like Blancette de veau, Casoulet, and more.

And try the Cafe Gourmand for dessert. PM me if you want more details or ideas.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations!

By the way, it appears that Les Bouquinistes has turned into a Ramen restaurant? Here mostly for the da Vinci exhibition and decided to head there for lunch and found that it's no longer what I've remembered. Have they moved or just closed down for good?

@ShopAround - That's perfect! Not sure why, perhaps the chilly weather, but just have craving for fondue the moment I landed.

I'll be here for a while longer and @tvhead may take you up your kind offer and PM you for more ideas.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Visconti
Thanks for the recommendations!

By the way, it appears that Les Bouquinistes has turned into a Ramen restaurant? Here mostly for the da Vinci exhibition and decided to head there for lunch and found that it's no longer what I've remembered. Have they moved or just closed down for good?

@ShopAround - That's perfect! Not sure why, perhaps the chilly weather, but just have craving for fondue the moment I landed.

I'll be here for a while longer and @tvhead may take you up your kind offer and PM you for more ideas.

How was the exhibit? I haven't seen it yet.

I haven't been to Le Bouquinist in ages but saw it turned into a Ramen.

Have you tried looking at La Coupole's menu, they might the Bourguignon.?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
How was the exhibit? I haven't seen it yet.

I haven't been to Le Bouquinist in ages but saw it turned into a Ramen.

Have you tried looking at La Coupole's menu, they might the Bourguignon.?
I enjoyed it very much.

If I recall about ten years ago (?) there had been a similar gathering of da Vinci’s works in London which wasn’t quite as expensive as this collection. Since I had missed the one in London, decided to make this one and certainly glad that I have. For me, in addition to the Louvre’s already extensive collection, I was looking forward to viewing and enjoying them within a single venue (except the ML which remained on the first floor in its customary spot) especially the ones I’ve only rarely or have never seen, e.g, Benois Madonna, Saint Jerome (in the wilderness), Portrait of a Musician, Madonna of the Yarnwinder. In addition, there a considerable amount of his drawings, interesting histories behind some of his works, and some virtual reality presentations that explore deeper into the nuance and complexity of his works.

Even then, the most satisfying part of the trip was introducing my young daughter to not only the exhibit but also on some lessons in culture, dining & wine refinement and an opportunity to actually speak some French, in order to spare her from growing up as and becoming a boorish ugly American like her Father.

PS - May check La Coupole’s menu today, thanks!
Hoyaheel and cornwall4000 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.