France general strike beginning Dec 5th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.

I've been closely following information concerning the transit strike in France starting on Dec 5th with no defined end date as I am traveling to Paris in Dec so I thought I would share the info I have currently. I'm personally traveling on from London to Paris via Eurostar on Dec 8th followed by an AA flight CDG-DFW on Dec 11th. I have booked a back up LHR-CDG ticket on BA the morning of Dec 11th in case I can't make it to Paris or Paris is simply too chaotic to be worth visiting.

The trains (SNCF/Eurostar), Metro and RER (RATP) and ground personelle for Air France will be on strike. Currently Eurostar has canceled about half the trains between London and Paris for Dec 5th and 6th. They have also suspended sales for travel Dec 5th to the 8th. More info here: https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/disru...service-update

Trains and subway will post cancellation information 48 hours before Starting on Dec 3rd at 5pm. The SNCF has suspended all ticket sales for Dec 5th and 6th and for certain destinations (London for example) the 7th and 8th as well. They won't be offering refunds until the train you are booked on is cancelled so no refunds yet. More info here in French :

https://www.lci.fr/population/transp...o-2138787.html

Air France and the Paris Airports have made no announcements thus far unless you booked a TGV+Air ticket then Air France is allowing you to change your ticket to a flight prior to the strike or you can delay it up to Dec 12th.

Edited: Removed the word "general" in describing the strike. Initially there were a variety of public sectors on strike but as the strike has continued it appears that it has been reduced to transit.

Last edited by MorganB; Dec 30, 2019 at 12:49 pm
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I will be in Paris next week, and have been watching this too. Arrival won't be an issue, but flying home on Sunday the 8th I guess I won't be using the RER to get to CDG! And guess I will be doing a lot of walking for a few days!
MorganB and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I took the precaution of reserving a car as a backup for my Paris-Lyon TGV trip on December 6th. I was amazed at the low price when I booked — just $92 for six days.

Not sure what will happen with my onward Lyon-Annecy and Annecy-Paris tickets on a separate reservation on the 10th.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: too many
www.cestlagreve.fr (in French) lists all the strikes in France....a very useful tool
MorganB and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I will be in Paris next week, and have been watching this too. Arrival won't be an issue, but flying home on Sunday the 8th I guess I won't be using the RER to get to CDG! And guess I will be doing a lot of walking for a few days!
The subway line 1 and 14 should run mostly on schedule as those lines are automated. Perhaps buses will be an alternate IF they are running at all. Otherwise lots of walking as you say! Thats my plan as well. I am concerned about getting to the airport on the 11th myself as traffic can be horrible during periods of strike. Usually traffic leaving the city isn't as bad once you are off the ring road.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Now my Eurostar booking for from London to Paris on Dec 8th has been cancelled with no rebooking option on that day. Flights are coming in at 550$ that day on BA and Air France. EasyJet is about 200$ but I dont really trust them in a strike period where there could be airport issues. Looks like I might not be going to Paris on the 8th after all!
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MorganB
The subway line 1 and 14 should run mostly on schedule as those lines are automated. Perhaps buses will be an alternate IF they are running at all. Otherwise lots of walking as you say! Thats my plan as well. I am concerned about getting to the airport on the 11th myself as traffic can be horrible during periods of strike. Usually traffic leaving the city isn't as bad once you are off the ring road.
I just assumed buses were included in the strike action, so am not counting on them either. Did not know about Metro lines 1 and 14 though. That should help. Thanks.
MorganB likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:02 pm

The free part of Le Monde says the strike could cause at least as severe cuts as the September 13th one: ten of the 16 lines completely closed, four others, along with the tram lines and RER A and B, running only once per hour, and lines 1 and 14 running normally. Bus service was reduced to one third of normal.

"… La grève devrait provoquer, les 5 et 6 décembre, les mêmes perturbations au minimum que le mouvement du 13 septembre. Ce jour-là, dix lignes de métro sur seize avaient été complètement fermées, quatre autres lignes ne circulaient qu’aux heures de pointe, tout comme cinq lignes de tram (sur huit) et les deux lignes de RER gérées par la RATP (A et B). Un bus sur trois roulait. Seules les lignes aux rames sans conducteur du métro (1 et 14) circulaient normalement."
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm scheduled to arrive into CDG on 12/5 from PHL and transfer to LIS on AF. On a TAP flight back to CDG on the 12/8. I have booked back up tickets to LIS via LHR and to CDG via HEL which seems beyond ridiculous. I am glad we have these options, but currently quite underwhelmed. I was thinking that skipping France all together is a better idea this time around.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

They have now released the train and air travel forecast for the 5th of December.

90% of trains and regional rail in France will be canceled. They are saying that 1 in 5 trains to and from Paris Gare du Nord to CDG will run. The line will terminate at Gare du Nord.

20% of flights are expected to be cancelled but usually when this happens long haul flights do fly but often not on time as both passengers and employees are struggling to get to the airport.

There will be a giant protest march on the 5th between Gare de L'Est and Place de la Nation in Paris. Due to the number of marchers there is concern that there will be violence. They are asking all merchants to close their stores on the 5th along the route and are blocking traffic also so that will create further traffic jams.
DavidDTW and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:45 pm

Hello,

I appreciate everyone's insights as the date gets closer. I am currently scheduled to fly out on 12/4 and land in CDG on 12/5. Because UA hasn't canceled my flight, none of my prebooked hotels/airbnb are refundable (nor can I claim it for travel insurance through chase). Is it advisable to not travel to Paris? I currently have a place in Montmartre and don't have a problem walking around. I have also booked a private shuttle from CDG into Paris but I am hearing that roads may be blocked off?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Roissy Bus

Any information on whether the Roissy bus from CDG to Opera will be operate on December 5th? I know people were uncertain as of today, Dec. 3, so I'm really wondering whether anything was announced today to clarify whether the Roissy bus will operate.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Casimir
Any information on whether the Roissy bus from CDG to Opera will be operate on December 5th? I know people were uncertain as of today, Dec. 3, so I'm really wondering whether anything was announced today to clarify whether the Roissy bus will operate.
I wouldn't count on it. The airport's web site suggests the "Bus Direct" or to reserve a taxi in advance.

I'm in Paris at the moment but I'm getting this information from the web.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I wouldn't count on it. The airport's web site suggests the "Bus Direct" or to reserve a taxi in advance.

I'm in Paris at the moment but I'm getting this information from the web.
Thanks, I have already booked one of the private services, so I think that's good advice. Since I'm traveling with my wife, I like to know what all the options are. I appreciate your help. Casimir
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by ericfides9
Hello,

I appreciate everyone's insights as the date gets closer. I am currently scheduled to fly out on 12/4 and land in CDG on 12/5. Because UA hasn't canceled my flight, none of my prebooked hotels/airbnb are refundable (nor can I claim it for travel insurance through chase). Is it advisable to not travel to Paris? I currently have a place in Montmartre and don't have a problem walking around. I have also booked a private shuttle from CDG into Paris but I am hearing that roads may be blocked off?
Reserve a car, Uber or others. Get good walking shoes. Check where the marches will be and avoid those areas. I and someone else posted web sites. Otherwise enjoy Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.