Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

WWII and WWI Sights to See in France

WWII and WWI Sights to See in France

Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: too many
I would advocate for a shorter method:
Land in Paris, then connect to Marseille or Nice on a one-way flight (you've got a bunch of options on Air France.to match your arrival time plus a few hours)
Do the Draguignan route renting a car from Marseille or Nice airport.
Return to airport and take a flight west, if going from Nice fly to Rennes, if from Marseille fly to Caen. Caen is a 2-hour drive from Rennes so not much driving around
Return the car to the airport and take a train to CDG.

Granted, it might be more expensive than the train but you save on time, which would allow you to spend more time in the sites you want to visit
(Also, and possibly stating the obvious, you might want to spend more time than planned in Draguignan since this could be an emotional moment for Mr Kipper)
Goldorak likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ng1265
I would advocate for a shorter method:
Land in Paris, then connect to Marseille or Nice on a one-way flight (you've got a bunch of options on Air France.to match your arrival time plus a few hours)
Do the Draguignan route renting a car from Marseille or Nice airport.
Return to airport and take a flight west, if going from Nice fly to Rennes, if from Marseille fly to Caen. Caen is a 2-hour drive from Rennes so not much driving around
Return the car to the airport and take a train to CDG.

Granted, it might be more expensive than the train but you save on time, which would allow you to spend more time in the sites you want to visit
(Also, and possibly stating the obvious, you might want to spend more time than planned in Draguignan since this could be an emotional moment for Mr Kipper)
I like that idea.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:58 am

for another visit or if you manage to insert it in your planning, the recently opened museum on the liberation of paris in August 1944 where to can see

https://goo.gl/maps/uoYN1kHeSZEnZ4ki6
Musée Libération Leclerc Moulin

Free and some interesting unseen pieces so far
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bebert
for another visit or if you manage to insert it in your planning, the recently opened museum on the liberation of paris in August 1944 where to can see

https://goo.gl/maps/uoYN1kHeSZEnZ4ki6
Musée Libération Leclerc Moulin

Free and some interesting unseen pieces so far
If we have time in Paris, that may be something.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I know it's Belgium and it's WW1 rather than 2, but one of the most moving museums and weekends of my life was spent in Ypres, visiting the battlefields and, in particular, the Passchendaele Museum. And then one month later, Peter Jackson's movie, They Shall Not Grow Old, brought it all back. The entire family was in floods of tears.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I know it's Belgium and it's WW1 rather than 2, but one of the most moving museums and weekends of my life was spent in Ypres, visiting the battlefields and, in particular, the Passchendaele Museum. And then one month later, Peter Jackson's movie, They Shall Not Grow Old, brought it all back. The entire family was in floods of tears.
That is definitely another trip. In case you missed it, they are showing They Shall Not Grow Old in theatres again in December. Just in case you want to see it a second time.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:01 pm

I had 2 full days to see what I could (arrived by ferry from Portsmouth - departed by train to Paris..DID have a rental car picked up in Caen) and although I am not normally keen on guided tours the one day Normandy beaches tour was very good indeed. As an old military parachutist the 2nd day was spent focusing on the Airborne side of the invasion. It had long been a bucket list item of mine to visit Pegasus Bridge. Great museum there BTW. Then St Mere Eglise (far more touristy)...and so on.... With limited time I would recommend picking one (or two) particular focus points... but then that's MY style...lol
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: too many
As your trip approaches, what's the solution you decided to go for in the end?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ng1265
As your trip approaches, what's the solution you decided to go for in the end?
We haven't figured out what we are doing yet. I'm down with the flu, and our flight leaves on 2/10, so I'm toying with the idea of trying to postpone the trip.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

As an update... Mr. Kipper suggested that we consider flying CDG to WAW and that we spend the week in WAW instead.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

As an update, we are postponing the trip. I was diagnosed with the flu on Wednesday and while I'm not contagious, I sound horrible and feel about the same. I doubt I would be able to do everything we want to do.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by kipper
As an update, we are postponing the trip. I was diagnosed with the flu on Wednesday and while I'm not contagious, I sound horrible and feel about the same. I doubt I would be able to do everything we want to do.

Good idea, especially traveling to a beautiful country like france.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Good idea, especially traveling to a beautiful country like france.
I want to be 100% when I visit so I can see everything and not feel like I'm wasting time sleeping.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
The battlefields and cemeteries of northern France impress me the most. And also the British cemetery for Chinese workers.

World War I cemeteries of the Pas de Calais | Any Port in a Storm

The Chinese cemetery of Nolette and a bit of Le Crotoy | Any Port in a Storm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.