Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

WWII and WWI Sights to See in France

WWII and WWI Sights to See in France

Old Nov 12, 19, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Hornetcoach View Post
So if I were doing that I think I would spend one or two days in Paris, get the train to Marseille, rent a car in Marseille, get the train direct from Marseille back to CDG, rent a car in CDG and drive to Normandy, drive back to CDG. Hope for good weather, northern France is cold and wet in February and if it should happen to snow, which is possible but not highly likely, driving around the Normandy bocage in bad weather would be very miserable. Getting a train to Caen instead of driving from CDG is also a decent option but it is a bit more complicated than cutting out central Paris altogether.
if not Caen, then take the train from Paris to Bayeux. Rent a car there and explore Normandie. Reverse the process to get back to Paris.

Check what others-such as Rick Steves-say. Driving from Paris is not a good plan.
Old Nov 12, 19, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Major sites for WW I battles are also located in North East / East of France like the Chemin des Dames (Aisne) and Verdun. Easy to reach from Paris with a car.
Old Nov 12, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
My mother took me to Verdun when I was nine years old. I remember seeing graves stretching to the horizon as I looked down from the mausoleum. I know my memory isn't accurate — the cemetery is vast, but not that big — but it shows the emotional impact the site had on a little boy.
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
if not Caen, then take the train from Paris to Bayeux. Rent a car there and explore Normandie. Reverse the process to get back to Paris.

Check what others-such as Rick Steves-say. Driving from Paris is not a good plan.
I would also recommend doing the transfer from train to rental car at Aix-en-Provence TGV station instead of Marseille. That station is designed for easy transfers directly to a rental car and out onto the freeway. Only 1:25 drive from the station to Draguignan- 5 minutes shorter than from Marseille, plus you save 20 minutes on the train and probably 15 minutes picking up/dropping off the rental car.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:28 am

Yes Paris should definitely be avoided for driving, like any major city. CDG is a long way from the city. I found driving to Normandy from there, and the return via Britanny, the Loire Valley, Chartres and Versailles, to be quite easy.
Old Nov 14, 19, 9:17 pm

Yes Paris should definitely be avoided for driving, like any major city. CDG is a long way from the city. I found driving to Normandy from there, and the return via Britanny, the Loire Valley, Chartres and Versailles, to be quite easy.
I cautioned against driving from Paris, not in Paris. The OP is a history buff and has one week. In such case, I would not waste time and energy driving in the French countryside in February.
Old Nov 15, 19, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I cautioned against driving from Paris, not in Paris. The OP is a history buff and has one week. In such case, I would not waste time and energy driving in the French countryside in February.
Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 19, 11:50 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold, Accor Gold
When visiting the American cemetery's in Europe, we have found the American Battle Monuments Commission to be a valuable help.

https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memo...rican-cemetery
Old Nov 15, 19, 2:44 pm

Well my post said what I would do, because I have done it, though from Lyon not Marseilles, it is the same train. If the weather is so bad that driving from Paris to Normandy is a problem, my advice would be don't go to Normandy, stay in the south of France. I love driving in the French countryside and I spent one night in Harfleur and 2 nights in Bayeux. It is less than 3 hours drive direct CDG to Caen, in normal conditions.
For me that beats having to change trains in Paris both coming and going, However your suggestion to take the train to Bayeux or Caen is certainly a viable option. It is strange what you remember about a trip. For me one of the highlights was seeing the remnants of the Mulberry at Arromanches. I hadn't realized they would still be visible after all this time.
Old Nov 15, 19, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
The U-boat bunkers are much, much more impressive.
Old Nov 16, 19, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Well my post said what I would do, because I have done it, though from Lyon not Marseilles, it is the same train. If the weather is so bad that driving from Paris to Normandy is a problem, my advice would be don't go to Normandy, stay in the south of France. I love driving in the French countryside and I spent one night in Harfleur and 2 nights in Bayeux. It is less than 3 hours drive direct CDG to Caen, in normal conditions.
should be Honfleur
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 16, 19, 12:24 pm

Harfeur is the site of the battle of Agincourt, once more unto the breech dear friends.

In the quaint town of Harfleur, half-timbered houses sit on the banks of the Lézarde River, and boutiques, wine bars, and cozy pizzerias dot cobbled squares. Centuries-old Église Saint-Martin is known for its Gothic spire and modern stained-glass windows. La Forge cultural center hosts exhibitions, concerts, and theater, and the Prieuré d'Harfleur museum shows archaeological finds, including Roman artifacts.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Nov 16, 19, 12:33 pm

Correct that, Agincourt came after the siege of Harfleur. Anyway Harfleur is close to Honfleur but they are not the same place .
Old Nov 16, 19, 3:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I loved my time in Normandy. I booked a tour through the Caen museum and it was extremely informative. I took the train from Paris to Caen where I stayed 2 nights. The Draguinan portion of the trip sounds very interesting as well. I would much rather take a train around vs driving (especially in and out of Paris). Keep us posted on what you end up doing.
Old Nov 17, 19, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Harfeur is the site of the battle of Agincourt, once more unto the breech dear friends.
My sincere apologies ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: