Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Paris Prix Fixe Bargins - Lunch from WSJ today (and/or dinner?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs

This was in todays WSJ: here (and Word document attached below). Nice article about bargain 3 course lunches (no Michelin start, but bargains for what sounds like very good food). And we are going to Paris on Thanksgiving. As is usual, however, for articles like this these restaurants are out of the way (i.e. long walks from Metro's etc).

We will be staying in the Marias (near the St. Paul metro). Any suggestions for a bit places closer to us (DH has a knee issue and will not be healed by then!) for lunch or early dinner?
Attached Files
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:59 am

A long-time Paris restaurant blogger, John Talbott, only reviews at lunch and often lists lunch-only menus too.

https://johntalbottsparis.typepad.com
Hoyaheel, ajGoes and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Thanks Mountain Trader. Fun blog, and it turns out he is a past-president of the large national professional society I belong to and a big person in my field! I recognized his name. Very fun coincidence and useful blog.

Oops -- sorry but it turns out that his name is a very common name. Wrong one in my case although the one of the blog sounds like a very interesting guy and love reading his restaurant reviews - as promised, all of lunch!
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by mstraveler; Oct 29, 2019 at 10:43 pm
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mstraveler
Thanks Mountain Trader. Fun blog, and it turns out he is a past-president of the large national professional society I belong to and a big person in my field! I recognized his name. Very fun coincidence and useful blog.

Oops -- sorry but it turns out that his name is a very common name. Wrong one in my case although the one of the blog sounds like a very interesting guy and love reading his restaurant reviews - as promised, all of lunch!
I think John Talbott was a Professor of Psychiatry in Maryland. He's in his 80s now but still active, reviewing and blogging.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I highly recommend Le Comptoir de la Gastronomie, 34 rue Montmartre. It's right in the heart of the Montorgueil neighborhood of foodshops, and right around the corner from La Bovida, a fantastic kitchen supply store. This is, in my opinion, a MUST stop for foodies. Try the Cafe Gourmand for dessert.
'Cafe Gourmand' is a tradition in a lot of french restaurants. for 8-12 euro, you get a small coffee, and 3-4 small desserts. All served on a nice little tray. just google the term to see what it means. And Le Comptoir always has a nice cafe gourmand, with the selection of items changing from day to day and time to time.

Last edited by tvhead; Nov 1, 2019 at 2:30 pm Reason: added clarification
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I think John Talbott was a Professor of Psychiatry in Maryland. He's in his 80s now but still active, reviewing and blogging.
Well, yep, he's the one. He is also a past president of the American Psychiatric Association. What got me off track is reading the "about" section in his blog and having it seem like he's been living in Paris for decades. And he is definitely still active! I can't do that much or eat out that much and I am not in my 80's 😊
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tvhead
I highly recommend Le Comptoir de la Gastronomie, 34 rue Montmartre. It's right in the heart of the Montorgueil neighborhood of foodshops, and right around the corner from La Bovida, a fantastic kitchen supply store. This is, in my opinion, a MUST stop for foodies. Try the Cafe Gourmand for dessert.
'Cafe Gourmand' is a tradition in a lot of french restaurants. for 8-12 euro, you get a small coffee, and 3-4 small desserts. All served on a nice little tray. just google the term to see what it means. And Le Comptoir always has a nice cafe gourmand, with the selection of items changing from day to day and time to time.
I have either been to La Bovida or another very famous kitchen/restaurant supply cookware store. The one we went to years ago was very old and nothing especially chic about it. Just had about everything under the sun piled in there. But a very well known place among chefs. Will have to check out Le Comptoir de la Gastronomie; sounds great.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
This was in todays WSJ: here (and Word document attached below). Nice article about bargain 3 course lunches (no Michelin start, but bargains for what sounds like very good food). And we are going to Paris on Thanksgiving. As is usual, however, for articles like this these restaurants are out of the way (i.e. long walks from Metro's etc).

We will be staying in the Marias (near the St. Paul metro). Any suggestions for a bit places closer to us (DH has a knee issue and will not be healed by then!) for lunch or early dinner?
Most of the good places I know in the Marais don’t open until 7pm, like A La Biche au Bois (one of my faves for Coq Au Vin). Au Petit Fer à Cheval is a small, casual, reasonably priced place with a lot of history about four blocks from St. Paul metro. And it is open all day I believe. Excellent plats du jour and the best goat cheese salad I have ever had. Their Tarte Tatin is to die for.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Most of the good places I know in the Marais don’t open until 7pm, like A La Biche au Bois (one of my faves for Coq Au Vin). Au Petit Fer à Cheval is a small, casual, reasonably priced place with a lot of history about four blocks from St. Paul metro. And it is open all day I believe. Excellent plats du jour and the best goat cheese salad I have ever had. Their Tarte Tatin is to die for.
Thank you Finkface! We are staying right near the St. Paul metro and Au Petit Fer a Cheval will be great for mid-day options and La Biche au Bois sounds great too.

[And a cranky aside, I really do wish Paris bistros and websites would have real web pages and not Facebook 😠, which is useless for real information, like reservations (do they take them?), menus etc. Rant ended.]
ShopAround likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thank you Finkface! We are staying right near the St. Paul metro and Au Petit Fer a Cheval will be great for mid-day options and La Biche au Bois sounds great too.

[And a cranky aside, I really do wish Paris bistros and websites would have real web pages and not Facebook ��, which is useless for real information, like reservations (do they take them?), menus etc. Rant ended.]
Both places do take reservations and I highly recommend them, especially for La Biche. It is incredibly popular so you likely won’t get in without one. I think they are closed Mondays as well (not completely sure). Yvette, the waitress, is a gem! For Cheval for lunch, you’ll be fine as a walk in. We did reserve for dinner as the seating area in back is tiny (they have outdoor seating as well).
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Both places do take reservations and I highly recommend them, especially for La Biche. It is incredibly popular so you likely won’t get in without one. I think they are closed Mondays as well (not completely sure). Yvette, the waitress, is a gem! For Cheval for lunch, you’ll be fine as a walk in. We did reserve for dinner as the seating area in back is tiny (they have outdoor seating as well).
Thanks for the advice. I live in San Francisco and really never go anywhere for dinner without reservations. Many of the Paris restaurants I have been looking at having online reservations but our rental apartment comes with a concierge who will make them for me (my many years of studying French when I was younger are a bit rusty). The Facebook "website" also doesn't give hours (i.e. open on Sunday?) but Google does (no is the answer). Looks like a good place for a dinner my spouse will like (he is not the fancy restaurant type ).

Le Coupe Chou was also mentioned somewhere when I was looking this up. Do you know this one?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:09 pm

Thanks for the advice. I live in San Francisco and really never go anywhere for dinner without reservations. Many of the Paris restaurants I have been looking at having online reservations but our rental apartment comes with a concierge who will make them for me (my many years of studying French when I was younger are a bit rusty). The Facebook "website" also doesn't give hours (i.e. open on Sunday?) but Google does (no is the answer). Looks like a good place for a dinner my spouse will like (he is not the fancy restaurant type ).

Le Coupe Chou was also mentioned somewhere when I was looking this up. Do you know this one?
You are correct. I just remembered it is closed Sundays, not Mondays. I was there a month ago and tried to get in on Sunday night but it was closed so we went Monday instead. The concierge will know it for sure - it is a very popular place. You should be able to get a same day reservation easily.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

[And a cranky aside, I really do wish Paris bistros and websites would have real web pages and not Facebook 😠, which is useless for real information, like reservations (do they take them?), menus etc. Rant ended.]
Well, this is a website to warm my heart: Au petit fer à cheval | Caféine. Use the link to open but do NOT switch to the English version. Not only does the website have all the info anyone could possbly want (hours, address, metro and bus stops, phone, map) but it has photos of les toilettes! . (Apparently they don't think English speaking tourists can handle photos of les toilettes .) Best restaurant website ever. We are eating there for sure!
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:29 pm

Le petit fer à cheval
Le Coupe Chou
Any suggestions on where to stay in Le Marais during Thanksgiving? In my last two trips to Paris I stayed in the Opera neighborhood and now I want to switch neighborhoods.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:34 pm

Well, this is a website to warm my heart: Au petit fer à cheval | Caféine. Use the link to open but do NOT switch to the English version. Not only does the website have all the info anyone could possbly want (hours, address, metro and bus stops, phone, map) but it has photos of les toilettes! . (Apparently they don't think English speaking tourists can handle photos of les toilettes .) Best restaurant website ever. We are eating there for sure!
I found out after we went there the first time that Anthony Bourdain ate there and loved it. It was featured in one episode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.