Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Paris Prix Fixe Bargins - Lunch from WSJ today (and/or dinner?)

Paris Prix Fixe Bargins - Lunch from WSJ today (and/or dinner?)

Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by boboqui
Any suggestions on where to stay in Le Marais during Thanksgiving? In my last two trips to Paris I stayed in the Opera neighborhood and now I want to switch neighborhoods.
We are staying in the Marais beginning the Friday after TG as well and although we rented an apartment, we had one night that we needed a hotel and are going to stay at the Hotel Charles V. Can't report back yet (we have never stayed there), and not sure how much you wanted to spend (I put in 11/29 and it is 260Euro) but our apartment concierge recommended it and it looks nice. We have stayed in that immediate area before and it is close to the St. Paul metro and quiet.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by Finkface
I found out after we went there the first time that Anthony Bourdain ate there and loved it. It was featured in one episode.
It is our kind of restaurant too. Homey with good food that doesn't cost a fortune, and does not require too much dressing up. They are open for lunch as well Tuesday - Friday.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Well, this is a website to warm my heart: Au petit fer à cheval | Caféine. Use the link to open but do NOT switch to the English version. Not only does the website have all the info anyone could possbly want (hours, address, metro and bus stops, phone, map) but it has photos of les toilettes! . (Apparently they don't think English speaking tourists can handle photos of les toilettes .) Best restaurant website ever. We are eating there for sure!
It is an outstanding web site. Sadly, its News page tells me the restaurant had a serious fire in the kitchen on October 12th and will be closed for "several months".
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ajGoes
It is an outstanding web site. Sadly, its News page tells me the restaurant had a serious fire in the kitchen on October 12th and will be closed for "several months".
Oh no! I was just there in September. What a shame. It is over 100 years old and famous for it’s horseshoe bar and the stainless steel toilettes.
mstraveler and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I wanted to suggest another place that I always find is a a great experience. Across from Gare du Nord, is a cafe Terminus Nord. Great seafood, and some regional specialties. The decor is art deco, and just looking around you can convince yourself you're waiting to board the Orient Express, right along with Hercule Poirot. The wait staff is both friendly and professional. And if you show up with a big suitcase in tow as you await the Eurostar departure for London, they will gladly find a place to stow it while you eat.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:38 pm

Oh no! I was just there in September. What a shame. It is over 100 years old and famous for it’s horseshoe bar and the stainless steel toilettes.
The announcement does suggest the fire was confined to the kitchen, so hopefully the dining room and toilets are unaffected.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
The announcement does suggest the fire was confined to the kitchen, so hopefully the dining room and toilets are unaffected.
The “dining room” is a tiny little space in back, right by the kitchen so I suspect it was probably affected. The bar is out front so probably fine. What a shame.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Oh, no indeed! I was SO excited about a good place that is open all day and a short walk from us. Had already planned our arrival day lunch there. We will be coming into the Marais (from Marriott's Village d'ile-de-France) on December 6th, so I will check it out and report back. That is only 6-7 weeks after the fire, but we can hope.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tvhead
I wanted to suggest another place that I always find is a a great experience. Across from Gare du Nord, is a cafe Terminus Nord. Great seafood, and some regional specialties. The decor is art deco, and just looking around you can convince yourself you're waiting to board the Orient Express, right along with Hercule Poirot. The wait staff is both friendly and professional. And if you show up with a big suitcase in tow as you await the Eurostar departure for London, they will gladly find a place to stow it while you eat.
Looks great. We are a little limited in walking range this year but we may get over to that area and would plan it around lunch there!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:05 am

Oh, no indeed! I was SO excited about a good place that is open all day and a short walk from us. Had already planned our arrival day lunch there. We will be coming into the Marais (from Marriott's Village d'ile-de-France) on December 6th, so I will check it out and report back. That is only 6-7 weeks after the fire, but we can hope.
The Fer au Cheval's website also shows the other restaurants in the same group, including the Hortense which is right across the street.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:35 am

We are staying in the Marais beginning the Friday after TG as well and although we rented an apartment, we had one night that we needed a hotel and are going to stay at the Hotel Charles V. Can't report back yet (we have never stayed there), and not sure how much you wanted to spend (I put in 11/29 and it is 260Euro) but our apartment concierge recommended it and it looks nice. We have stayed in that immediate area before and it is close to the St. Paul metro and quiet.
Thanks! It looks good to me. I’ll send you a message if I end up staying there as I’m flying on standby on a NRSA ticket, so the hotel reservation has to wait until I have the confirmation.
mstraveler likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui
Thanks! It looks good to me. I’ll send you a message if I end up staying there as I’m flying on standby on a NRSA ticket, so the hotel reservation has to wait until I have the confirmation.
Great. The hotel is apparently two blocks from our apartment, which, while I was trying to work out dates, someone rented our first night. We stayed once before in the same apartment and really love that area tucked in behind Rue Rivoli (we will be at the corner of Rue Charlemagne and Rue de Fouconnier). The Ponte Marie metro is not far either. And hope you get on your NRSA ticket.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:20 am

Great. The hotel is apparently two blocks from our apartment, which, while I was trying to work out dates, someone rented our first night. We stayed once before in the same apartment and really love that area tucked in behind Rue Rivoli (we will be at the corner of Rue Charlemagne and Rue de Fouconnier). The Ponte Marie metro is not far either. And hope you get on your NRSA ticket.
Sadly, when I was there in September, the entirely of Village St. Paul was undergoing restoration work and was completely closed down. You can still walk through in some places but there is scaffolding and netting and few of the shops were open. It is one of my favorite places to walk through and it was so disappointing,
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Sadly, when I was there in September, the entirely of Village St. Paul was undergoing restoration work and was completely closed down. You can still walk through in some places but there is scaffolding and netting and few of the shops were open. It is one of my favorite places to walk through and it was so disappointing,
Oh goodness. All kinds of bad news about my favorite neighborhood. Fires, restoration work. Tant pis, it is still Paris, and we will just have to walk a little further into the Marias. And I will post updated info when we see it.

I can only hope my favorite patisserie (have not idea the name but it is at the corner of Rue du Prevot and Rue de Rivoli) might be open by then. It was our routine for my husband to make coffee while I ran out to get us pastries.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:29 pm

Oh goodness. All kinds of bad news about my favorite neighborhood. Fires, restoration work. Tant pis, it is still Paris, and we will just have to walk a little further into the Marias. And I will post updated info when we see it.

I can only hope my favorite patisserie (have not idea the name but it is at the corner of Rue du Prevot and Rue de Rivoli) might be open by then. It was our routine for my husband to make coffee while I ran out to get us pastries.
Aux Desirs de Manon? It should be open as it is not in the village itself. When were you last there? The ownership changed IIRC and I hear it is not as good as it once was.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.