Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Train from CDG to Reims (TGV)

Old Oct 1, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA

I'm arriving early morning at CDG next week (Tuesday) and headed straight to Reims. There's a train about 2 hours after arrival, with the next one about 5 hours after arrival. Any need to buy tickets in advance or just walk up? (I should have time, but always worry about arrival/immigration delays . . . )
Old Oct 1, 19, 7:15 pm

This is a TGV ticket, so the pricing is dynamic and it is (very remotely) possible that the train could sell out. However, given that Reims is not too far from Paris/CDG the pricing spread is not too bad, as opposed to more far-flung French cities where the spread between cheapest advance purchase tickets and day-of tickets can be quite large.

If you do a dummy booking for 2 October, for example, most of the tickets are in the €44 range whereas if you push out a couple of weeks there are many tickets that are roughly half this price in the €20 or so range.

It's worth noting that SNCF has simplified the ticket types for second-class TGV and Intercité tickets and they are all (with the important exception of Ouigo low-cost trains) now modifiable and/or exchangeable under certain conditions up until departure, though of course if you're on a plane and can't access the Internet or phone in order to change your ticket before the scheduled departure time that' may not help. Seat 61 translates the policy as:

All 1st & 2nd class fares are now changeable & refundable, free of charge until 30 days before travel, then for a €5 fee until 3 days before travel, then for a €15 fee until half an hour before departure. In all cases you also have to pay any difference in fare. From 30 minutes before the train departs, tickets can be changed up to two times for the same day and the same journey, but they become non-refundable once exchanged. Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable after departure.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 6, 19, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
I'm arriving early morning at CDG next week (Tuesday) and headed straight to Reims. There's a train about 2 hours after arrival, with the next one about 5 hours after arrival. Any need to buy tickets in advance or just walk up? (I should have time, but always worry about arrival/immigration delays . . . )
In case the train is fully booked, and if you don't want to wait 5 hrs for the next one, you have the option to go to gare de l'est downtown Paris from where you have plenty of TGV trains to Reims.
Old Oct 15, 19, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Thank you both - our flight arrived early and had no problem buying a ticket at kiosk (though last minute price was higher than prebooking).
Old Feb 28, 20, 10:49 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
In case the train is fully booked, and if you don't want to wait 5 hrs for the next one, you have the option to go to gare de l'est downtown Paris from where you have plenty of TGV trains to Reims.
What is the best way to gare de l'est?
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:47 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Merlin666 View Post
What is the best way to gare de l'est?
The RER B will take you from T2 to the Gare du Nord. From there it's a ten-minute walk or one stop on metro line 5.

Last edited by ajGoes; Mar 1, 20 at 9:58 am
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
The RER B will take you from T5 to the Gare du Nord. From there it's a ten-minute walk or one stop on metro line 5.
One additional note on that- your ticket for the RER will include the ride on the Metro 5 if you elect to go that route. The special CDG ticket is good for travel anywhere in Paris on any RER/Metro combo.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 10:46 pm

Programs: no status
Thanks I am actually planning on going to Strasbourg/Offenburg and the options from CDG don't look promising so I am wondering if it might be better to go via Gare de l'est?
Old Mar 2, 20, 3:03 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
Originally Posted by Merlin666 View Post
Thanks I am actually planning on going to Strasbourg/Offenburg and the options from CDG don't look promising so I am wondering if it might be better to go via Gare de l'est?
Depending on date or time, perhaps. There are hourly departures from Paris-Est to Strasbourg as it's the main eastern destination on the LGV Est. But factor in the approx 70mn time it takes to transit from CDG via the RER B and another 15mn to walk between la gare du nord and est.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: