CDG Separate Tickets

Old Sep 19, 19, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

CDG Separate Tickets

I arrive on Delta from USA at 8:30 am. This flight typically arrives at Hall M of Terminal 2E.

My connecting flight is on a separate ticket with AirBaltic leaving from Terminal 2D at 10:00 am.

I have no luggage.

1. Is 90 minutes enough time?
2. Can I connect without leaving the airport? In other words, will AirBaltic allow me to checkin online so I can transfer inside CDG with an electronic boarding pass?
Old Sep 20, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
That's really tight, and really you only have an hour if you consider boarding is 30mn before departure.You will have to go through passport control, which can be a bear at that time of day (10-70mn). Then you will have to walk between the 2E to 2D and pass through security control.

Wouldn't do it, but if your flights are already booked, bon courage.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by profguy View Post
2. Can I connect without leaving the airport? In other words, will AirBaltic allow me to checkin online so I can transfer inside CDG with an electronic boarding pass?
By "leaving the airport" I assume you are asking if you can transfer airside or with a minimum of controls. In this case, regardless of what boarding pass you have there will be a passport control check and security check, neither of which you can avoid.

The passport control is unavoidable because you are entering the Schengen area in Paris -- Air Baltic flies to Riga, Tallinn and Vilnius from CDG, all of which are located in the Schengen area. I think however, there is a separate passport control for connections (if you have a boarding pass) versus the passport control to go landside to Paris, but this depends by terminal and I'm not 100% sure on this because I am almost always starting/ending my trip in CDG.

The security re-screening is unavoidable because CDG requires anyone arriving from a non-Schengen state (e.g. the US) to go through a security re-screening before boarding their connecting flight.
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With no status and coach tickets, I don't think the OP has much of a chance to make the flight. If this was booked by a TA, OP should fire that TA.
Old Sep 20, 19, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
This is extremely risky +++ and I would not do it.
Old Sep 20, 19, 2:43 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I can't answer about Air Baltic's on-line check-in but here's the answer for the transfer:

2E to 2D
profguy likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I would say no chance. Be prepared to buy a new ticket if you don’t reschedule for a later flight.
Tamino likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bankops View Post
I can't answer about Air Baltic's on-line check-in but here's the answer for the transfer:

2E to 2D
Thanks for the link. It says 40 minutes. I also found this link, which is helpful and says 45 minutes. https://easycdg.com/passenger-inform...r-terminal-2e/

AirBaltic says on their website I can get an online boarding pass 36 hours before the flight. Given this information and no luggage, it seems 90 minutes might be enough. Then again, last year I spent 30 minutes on a bus from my plane to the terminal at CDG.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Those are just average times. Anything can change that, and note that MCT is not relevant for separate tickets.
Old Sep 21, 19, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I would say no chance.
I would not say "no chance" but undoubtedly risky. The OP is banking on there being no delay to the flight, of landing on the Southern runways and avoiding the long taxi from Northern runways to 2E, on having an airbridge rather than a bus, on having a reasonably swift passage through passport control and security, on not wasting time by getting lost en route, ,,,

On the positive side, if the OP misses the flight, it is a short-haul rather than a long-haul that is missed, and therefore probably a less painful cost if a new ticket has to be purchased. If I were the OP, I would factor in a plan B in case the connection is missed and see whether the plan B is acceptable or not. If not, I would review the initial plan.
LondonElite likes this.

Search this Thread