Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

5hr layover@CDG (Paris), any chance to sight seeing Paris with kid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

One parent and kid are connecting thru Paris on our way back from European trip to USA. We will already be in EU (this we assume, we don’t have to go thru EU immigration security check?) and our luggage will be checked thru to the destination, so we have just carry on bags (which we will make it small).

Is 5 hours enough to do quick run to Paris and be back to board USA bound flight? Kid is 7 yrs old. If it is doable (albeit very tight), what/where do you recommend we should go (i.e., weather permitting, I guess)? If it matters, this will be on Tuesday morning in April 2020. If advance ticket is recommended (going up on the Eiffel Tower?), we will purchase such ticket now.

Thank you!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:26 pm

With or without a kid I'd say very, very borderline for a single superficial visit of one, and only one "thing" (e.g. the Eiffel Tower without "climbing" it due to queues). Better leave it for the next visit, really not worth the risk of missing your connection.
nancypants, ajGoes and farci like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:33 pm

Here is what you could do. It doesn't make any sense to me for someone to do this, but it is feasible. Take the RER B train, get off at St Michel, see the outside of Notre Dame, walk down through the flower market towards the Louvre, maybe walk through the Tuileries Garden, cross one of the bridges across the Seine and back to St Michel for the train back to CDG. It will cost you about $100, you will spend most of your time on the train and you will have about 1 hour max for your walk.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
5 hours? Sadly no. Too long of a ride to and from CDG into Paris.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's very borderline and depends somewhat on details such as your airline/terminal, coach versus business class, etc. You would need to pick one thing to see which is close to an RER station, the closer to CDG the better.

If you have a USA passport, be aware that exit passport control lines at CDG for DL and AF can be extremely long. Business class or SkyPriority (SkyTeam ElitePlus status) helps, but I've waited over an hour recently just to leave Europe, not counting the lines for check in and security. I was in business class with top tier status.

I'm trying to think of something better than viewing the remains of Notre Dame, but you wouldn't have the time to do any other walking even in the immediate area.
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Where in the EU do you arrive from? If it’s a non schengen country then you have to clear French immigration.

also are you sure you have 5 hours? So many people calculate it from landing to departure time and ignore deadlines such as passing through security and gate closing times.
ajGoes, realworld and farci like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Hi all. Thank you very much for all the helpful pointers. We are arriving from one of the Schengen country, so hoping to skip that French immigration (do we need to go thru any security? We don’t know it’s 1st time connecting via CDG.)
And, 5 hr includes everything, I mean “landing CDG, taxing to the gate, exit first metal, waiting, board USA bound, and off”. We will be on the Air France all the way. What we don’t know is when we exit from the inter EU flight (?is that how you call it?), how much time should we taken into calculation for the security line to re-enter CDG, if we decide to venture out to anywhere? Sadly, no status to expedite that security line for us. One of us is US passport, the other is foreign passport, if that makes any difference.

Paris sounds like an out of plan, any neighboring town near CDG worth visiting for, say, breakfast?

Last edited by msiamsia; Sep 8, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:52 am

Chantilly and Senlis are interesting small towns just north of CDG but taxi will be expensive and you don't have enough time. Last time I flew out of CDG the security line and passport control took about one hour. That was midday Saturday in June.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:57 pm

Five hours would give you enough time to get to the city and back, perhaps leaving you an hour or so to explore the city, assuming you get through passport control quickly. Not nearly enough time to see or do anything of significance. If you are simply interested in getting out of the airport for a couple of hours, you could catch one of the hotel shuttles that take you to the town of Roissy-en-France, about 15 minutes or so from the airport. There you could stop at one of the hotels and have breakfast
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by mahlerfan
Five hours would give you enough time to get to the city and back, perhaps leaving you an hour or so to explore the city, assuming you get through passport control quickly. Not nearly enough time to see or do anything of significance. If you are simply interested in getting out of the airport for a couple of hours, you could catch one of the hotel shuttles that take you to the town of Roissy-en-France, about 15 minutes or so from the airport. There you could stop at one of the hotels and have breakfast
Or better yet have coffee, pastry, croissant at a local boulangerie and walk around a charming small town
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
5 hours is really not sufficient time for a trip into Paris, particularly if you're en route for a transatlantic departure.

You could be in Paris in about 1 hour to 90 minutes of your CDG arrival, allowing 1 hour for a return, being at the passport control lines no later than 2 hours before scheduled departure, might give you 30 minutes in Paris. I have spent over one hour on many occasions in the outbound passport control line. Security itself should take no more than 30 minutes and probably less.

I typically recommend having at least 6 hours between CDG flights for a quick visit into Paris. A lot can go wrong. Ultimately it comes down to how much risk you are willing to assume.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Hornetcoach

Here is what you could do. It doesn't make any sense to me for someone to do this, but it is feasible. Take the RER B train, get off at St Michel, see the outside of Notre Dame, walk down through the flower market towards the Louvre, maybe walk through the Tuileries Garden, cross one of the bridges across the Seine and back to St Michel for the train back to CDG. It will cost you about $100, you will spend most of your time on the train and you will have about 1 hour max for your walk.
$100 (or equivalent Euro)? How are you figuring this? A weekly NAVIGO pass (which would cover the R/T fare) for two people would cost half this, and I would guess the direct fare could be even less.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the comments. I sort of regret not having a longer lay-over built-in (when we have to do lay over anyway, might as well make it longer at CDG, too late now). Anyway, looking at the all options, it either we just swallow a 4hr+ wait time at CDG, or visiting a small town outside of CDG for short stroll of the french town and do coffee, pastry, croissant.
Chantilly and Senlis are mentioned above, are there any other town we should look into? We'd hope this will be an easy transportation distance/option from CDG.
Thank you!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:33 am

JohnneeO is correct, $50 is a better estimate for two round trip tickets CDG to Paris. I thought the suggestion made by mahlerfan was good, just get a bus or other transport into Roissy and check it out, or there is an air and space museum at Le Bourget which is close. I have never done either myself.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
$100 (or equivalent Euro)? How are you figuring this? A weekly NAVIGO pass (which would cover the R/T fare) for two people would cost half this, and I would guess the direct fare could be even less.
The RER/Metro fare from CDG to anywhere in Paris is 10.30 euros/adult and 7 euros/child (age 9 and under) each way, or about $19.20 at today's exchange rate of $1.11. So the roundtrip for these two would be $38.40.

https://parisbytrain.com/charles-de-...aris-by-train/

Last edited by DCJoe1; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:07 am Reason: Added link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.