Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Transit time from Gare du Norde to Louvre

Old Jul 27, 19, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

We'll be arriving at 11:47am tomorrow at Gare du Norde, and we have 2pm tickets for the Louvre. What will be the best way to travel from the train station to the museum? Two adults and one teenager without bags.
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Google Maps tells me the journey would take sixteen minutes including thirteen minutes walking to and from stations on the RER B, direction Gare de Lozere. Get off at the first stop, Chatelet-les Halles. It estimates twelve to 24 minutes via taxi or Uber.

You've got plenty of time, though. I'd be tempted to take bus 39 for eleven stops towards Frères Voisin. This requires almost no walking and takes about 24 minutes. I've been favoring buses for some time, as you get to see a bit of the city while staying above the ground.

You can buy tickets for any of the transit options from a kiosk at the Gare du Nord. You'll need one ticket each for each direction regardless. Tickets are €1.90 each or €14.90 for a carnet of ten.

By the way, that station is the Gare du Nord​​​​​.
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
Google Maps tells me the journey would take sixteen minutes including thirteen minutes walking to and from stations on the RER B, direction Gare de Lozere. Get off at the first stop, Chatelet-les Halles. It estimates twelve to 24 minutes via taxi or Uber.
Gare de Lozère ??
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Gare de Lozère ??
RER stops are called "stations". Thanks for pointing out the missing accent. I actually typed it in initially, but then removed it in a fit of over-trust in Google.
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Just use Citymapper around Paris - so much easier.
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Just use Citymapper around Paris - so much easier.
Does it have real-time traffic and transit information? Walking directions to the stop/station and from there to your destination? Augmented-reality walking map to help you get oriented? (The latter feature showed up as a beta in Google Maps a couple of months ago with a warning that it might disappear. It would have been a real boon last year in Paris, when I spent far more time searching for the bus stop than I would ever have imagined!)
Old Aug 4, 19, 2:47 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
The public transportation information on googlemaps is woefully inaccurate or incomplete. It´s fine for walking around but for public transportation, nothing comes close to Citymapper.

Citymapper does all that you describe plus. When making a connection, it will even tell you what métro car to board which will put you in front of your connecting passageway upon arrival at the intermediate station. I have tried all of the apps for Paris and Citymapper by far offers the most complete information.
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:04 am

Thanks for the review. I'll have to give Citymapper a try on my next trip.

However, I have yet to be misdirected on public transit by Google Maps, except for the time it wasn't aware of a temporary change in a Paris bus route. How well does Citymapper handle that?

Are the reviews that say it doesn't support off-line use correct? That's hard to believe.

Last edited by ajGoes; Aug 4, 19 at 7:30 am
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:02 pm

Take the #3 Metro, get off at Opera and transfer to the #7 Metro. Get off at Palais Royal/Musee du Louvre. Signs on the platform where you get off will direct you to the Carousel du Louvre and the museum.

There is another Metro stop Louvre Rivoli that is not near any entrances to the museum.
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
It all worked out via Metro. We learned that there were many street closures last Sunday due to the Tour de France, so cabs/Uber/buses weren't recommended. This from a cab driver right outside the train station.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
Thanks for the review. I'll have to give Citymapper a try on my next trip.

However, I have yet to be misdirected on public transit by Google Maps, except for the time it wasn't aware of a temporary change in a Paris bus route. How well does Citymapper handle that?

Are the reviews that say it doesn't support off-line use correct? That's hard to believe.
CityMapper is absolutely fantastic, especially with the way it pulls in real time data. The detail on the Metro/RER is amazing. It tells you where on the train (front/middle/back) to get on so you will be closest to your exit, and it directs you to the best street exit at the metro station. At stations like Republique with 8 exits this is invaluable.

But yes, you do need online access for it to work. I had slow data from T-Mobile and it didn't always work. Google Maps offline download was helpful in that case.

The flipside is the real time data on CityMapper includes short term changes and redirects.

Search this Thread