Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Buying TER tickets at Nice, Monaco and Ventimiglia train stations?

Old Jul 27, 19, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be flying into Nice and over a couple of days will need to travel:

Nice Airport - Nice
Nice - Monaco
Monaco - Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia - Nice Airport

I wish to do these by TER rail as this seems fastest, cheapest and most convenient way to do it.

So my questions are:

1. Can I buy the tickets at automatic machines at the train stations and use credit/debit card?
2. SNCF seem to sell the tickets online where you just print them off at home but I am not sure if these are valid on TER services as these apparently require validation at machines? Can you validate a printed at home paper ticket on such machines?
3. I read that you cant buy the tickets at machines at Ventimiglia as its in Italy so not part of the SNCF infrastructure, is this ture? If so do you need to buy them at a counter?

Sorry these may seem like very basic things but I need to ensure I do not miss a connection due to not knowing how to buy a ticket

Thanks,

FC
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:49 am

Programs: DL GM
yes, you can buy tickets at the machines using credit cards

no clue about printing tickets at home, but you can also buy tickets through the SNCF app

i haven't tried to buy a ticket in ventimiglia personally so not sure about machines there, but if you know which day you'll be coming back you can buy the ticket in advance from one of the machines in france

i assume you realize there's not a train station at the nice airport, you'll need to take the new tram line one stop from the airport and then walk to the nice-st augustin station
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberta_h View Post
yes, you can buy tickets at the machines using credit cards

no clue about printing tickets at home, but you can also buy tickets through the SNCF app

i haven't tried to buy a ticket in ventimiglia personally so not sure about machines there, but if you know which day you'll be coming back you can buy the ticket in advance from one of the machines in france

i assume you realize there's not a train station at the nice airport, you'll need to take the new tram line one stop from the airport and then walk to the nice-st augustin station
Ah brilliant, probably easier to just buy all the tickets then at St Augustin using credit card at the machines as I know all the dates I need to come back etc.

Yes I thought I could walk from the airport to St Augustin and back. Looks only around a 15 minute walk. Only issue is my flight arrives pretty late 10.30PM and last train to Nice I think is around 11.20PM when I looked. Read the walk goes through a rough area, is this accurate?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 28, 19, 2:32 pm

Sounds a bit complicated . The area is not so rough but there is lot of construction going on in the area. Would catch an Uber if i were you. If you arrived earlier you could take bus 23 to the city (very convenient and cheap 1,5 €). Sometimes in the future the tram will go all the way to the city.
Old Jul 29, 19, 1:59 am

i think the tram from the airport now goes to jean médicin in nice, so i would take that if possible (though i'm not sure how late the new tram runs) -- i don't think it's in a rough area to walk to st augustin but it seems out of the way to just take the train one stop to nice, i have walked it plenty (and now take the tram) but i usually am coming from or going to monaco or menton

given your late arrival time i would also recommend uber into nice, should be ~€20 depending on where you're going...
Old Aug 1, 19, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy View Post
1. Can I buy the tickets at automatic machines at the train stations and use credit/debit card?
2. SNCF seem to sell the tickets online where you just print them off at home but I am not sure if these are valid on TER services as these apparently require validation at machines? Can you validate a printed at home paper ticket on such machines?
3. I read that you cant buy the tickets at machines at Ventimiglia as its in Italy so not part of the SNCF infrastructure, is this ture? If so do you need to buy them at a counter?

Sorry these may seem like very basic things but I need to ensure I do not miss a connection due to not knowing how to buy a ticket

Thanks,

FC
1.: yes you can.
2. print-at-home tickets (including TER tickets) do not need to be validated at machines (you only need to validate ATB-style tickets bought at station). Alternatively, you can also buy these tickets via the sncf.com app, in which case you do not need to print anything at all: just show the flashcode in the app to the ticket inspector (and use the flashcode to go through ticket barriers where ticket barriers exist, such as in Nice central station). Although when buying online, you buy a ticket for a specific train, your ticket is, I believe, also valid on other TER trains on the same day. Make sure that you buy a ticket for a TER ticket and not a ticket for a TGV or intercite train as these are not interchangeable. Once bought, TER tickets are not changeable nor refundable.
When buying online, you can buy either through the main sncf website or the regional TER site (https://www.ter.sncf.com/sud-provence-alpes-cote-d-azur is the one you want for the Nice region).
3. There is a travel agency in Ventimiglia station that will sell SNCF tickets (at the far left as you enter the station). I do not know the times of opening. It might be easier, though, to either buy your ticket online or buy it at a French station in advance (can't remember whether you can buy TER tickets departing from other stations or on different days in automated machines but they should in any event be able to sell you that at the counter of any station).

If there is more than one of you and/or if you have other trains to take beyond those four, you may want to give some thought to buying a "Carte Zou 50-75%." This will give you 50% discount on all TER trains in the PACA region (broadly from Arles in the West to Ventimiglia in the East) for you and up to 3 other persons traveling together with you. There is a form to fill but they can issue the card on the spot at Nice main station and the card is valid for a year. The card costs 30 euros so you need to do the maths to see whether it is worth your while or not. Further details (in French) available here .
If you have a carte Zou, your tickets can also be loaded on the card (not sure whether it also works for companions or just the card holder) and you need to validate it before each trip by touching the validators at the entrance to the platform.

Last edited by NickB; Aug 1, 19 at 8:16 am
Old Aug 1, 19, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah brilliant, probably easier to just buy all the tickets then at St Augustin using credit card at the machines as I know all the dates I need to come back etc.

Yes I thought I could walk from the airport to St Augustin and back. Looks only around a 15 minute walk. Only issue is my flight arrives pretty late 10.30PM and last train to Nice I think is around 11.20PM when I looked. Read the walk goes through a rough area, is this accurate?

Thanks for your help
As roberta_h says, it is not rough but it is rather confusing (even though there are some signs en route) due to construction work.
Regarding the tram, it only runs late on Friday and Saturday nights (until midnight). On other nights, it is only until 9pm. Timetable available here.
When the tram does run, you can take the tram to the "Grand Arenas" stop for free, which will drop you very close to Nice St Augustin station.

Last edited by NickB; Aug 1, 19 at 8:17 am
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
1.: yes you can.
2. print-at-home tickets (including TER tickets) do not need to be validated at machines (you only need to validate ATB-style tickets bought at station). Alternatively, you can also buy these tickets via the sncf.com app, in which case you do not need to print anything at all: just show the flashcode in the app to the ticket inspector (and use the flashcode to go through ticket barriers where ticket barriers exist, such as in Nice central station). Although when buying online, you buy a ticket for a specific train, your ticket is, I believe, also valid on other TER trains on the same day. Make sure that you buy a ticket for a TER ticket and not a ticket for a TGV or intercite train as these are not interchangeable. Once bought, TER tickets are not changeable nor refundable.
When buying online, you can buy either through the main sncf website or the regional TER site (https://www.ter.sncf.com/sud-provence-alpes-cote-d-azur is the one you want for the Nice region).
3. There is a travel agency in Ventimiglia station that will sell SNCF tickets (at the far left as you enter the station). I do not know the times of opening. It might be easier, though, to either buy your ticket online or buy it at a French station in advance (can't remember whether you can buy TER tickets departing from other stations or on different days in automated machines but they should in any event be able to sell you that at the counter of any station).

If there is more than one of you and/or if you have other trains to take beyond those four, you may want to give some thought to buying a "Carte Zou 50-75%." This will give you 50% discount on all TER trains in the PACA region (broadly from Arles in the West to Ventimiglia in the East) for you and up to 3 other persons traveling together with you. There is a form to fill but they can issue the card on the spot at Nice main station and the card is valid for a year. The card costs 30 euros so you need to do the maths to see whether it is worth your while or not. Further details (in French) available here .
If you have a carte Zou, your tickets can also be loaded on the card (not sure whether it also works for companions or just the card holder) and you need to validate it before each trip by touching the validators at the entrance to the platform.
Fantastic answers! Thank you very much for your help.

For simplicity and state of mind I think I will buy them online now and print them off as paper and show them to the inspectors.
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:17 am
Original Poster

As roberta_h says, it is not rough but it is rather confusing (even though there are some signs en route) due to construction work.
Regarding the tram, it only runs late on Friday and Saturday nights (until midnight). On other nights, it is only until 9pm. Timetable available here.
When the tram does run, you can take the tram to the "Grand Arenas" stop for free, which will drop you very close to Nice St Augustin station.
I arrive at around 10.30PM on a Saturday, this tram to Grand Arenas is free? So you just jump on or do you need a free ticket from a machine?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 19, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I arrive at around 10.30PM on a Saturday, this tram to Grand Arenas is free? So you just jump on or do you need a free ticket from a machine?

Thanks
I have not done it but, AIUI, you just get on board and off at GA without a ticket.
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

I have not done it but, AIUI, you just get on board and off at GA without a ticket.
Is this official or is it just that they dont check?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this official or is it just that they dont check?

Thanks
It is official. Mentioned on Nice airport website too (see here).
Old Aug 3, 19, 4:17 pm

i have taken the tram for free several times now between NCE and grand arénas -- officially no ticket needed

depending on where in nice you're going, i would recommend just taking the tram to jean médecin for €1.50 (i think, i usually use a 10-trip pass so not sure of the exact single-trip amount -- there are ticket machines that accept credit cards at the tram stop in front of both airport terminals) rather than tram + walk + the last train one stop -- unless you're staying right next to the nice-ville train station i can't imagine that the tram wouldn't be easier

also SNCF in the south of france is less than reliable at times, so bonne chance if you're planning on the last train
NickB likes this.

Search this Thread