Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Buying metro tickets with USA issued credit cards

Old Jul 24, 19, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

Is this doable at the vending machines? If not, what are the options if I prefer to use a credit card?
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:36 am

I haven't had a problem with doing this, having bought metro tickets, recharged a Navigo card and bought RER tickets from the various machines. The card I have a JetBlue plus card issued by Barclay's that defaults to chip-and-signature in the US, only going to chip-and-PIN in unmanned situations, so at transit and train ticket machines in Europe it always prompts me for a PIN.

I should add that I've never tried to use another card, nor have I tried to put it an incorrect or "0000" PIN, so I don't know what would happen in those cases.
Old Jul 24, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
For transactions under about 30€ to 40€, your Chip & signature should work very well. This includes Navigo weekly fares as well as booklet purchases of tickets t+ (14.90€). These amounts are probably below the no CVM limits that most users have even in the USA.

Purchases of monthly Navigo passes at 75.20€ will likely require a PIN for those who have Chip & signature cards. I have found greater acceptance of my US bank credit cards at SNCF stations (regular train stations in Paris) when loading and paying for the monthly Navigo fares.
Old Jul 24, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
My Chase United MileagePlus Explorer chip & signature card worked for all my kiosk purchases at SNCF and RER stations last summer.

Don't get concerned if it seems to want a PIN. Just wait a few seconds and the transaction should complete without one.

Search this Thread