Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Using RER B to get beyond central Paris (is the fare any different)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

So, I'm once again here begging for advice on getting around Paris. I arrive on Monday morning and the only hotel beloved employer could find me is in the district of Rungis, which I understand to be French for "The middle of nowhere". Having resolved never to get a taxi too/from CDG ever (ever ever) again, I'm considering the following:

- RER B from CDG2 to La Croix-de-Berny
- Uber to hotel.

If this works out well, I will probably use this mixed mode of transport (combined with foot to meet my twelve miles walking per day goal) throughout my two week stay. What confuses me as always is the fares.... All the documentation I can find online discusses fares to central Paris. Does that Paris Airport fare (€11.40) cover all zones on RER B?

Edit: Ahh, I think I answered my own question:

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/pass...ransport/rer-b

"€11.40 (forfait Navigo, zones 1-5 accepted)"

Last edited by Internaut; May 31, 2019 at 2:05 am
Old May 31, 2019, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I can’t believe that they cannot find you an hotel elsewhere than Rungis...
it is certainly not in the middle of nowhere because close to Orly airport and the largest food market in Europe (professional access only), but if you are aiming to Central Paris, yes it is in the middle of nowhere.
The fare on RER B will be higher than for downtown Paris. Just buy the appropriate ticket in CDG. You mention you don’t want to take a taxi (nothing wrong with that, same for me and I am French based in France ) and consider taking a Uber from the. RER B station. But you could also consider taking the Uber right from CDG.
Internaut likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
RER tickets are sold point-to-point or station to station (and Paris is considered as one point). The typical CDG to Paris fare is 10.30€ but you are going beyond Paris, expect to pay a bit more. I have no idea where the website you linked came up with 11.40€.

Consider taking a VTC (Uber, Kapten, Snapcar, or Bolt) from CDG to your hotel. What appears to be happening now in Paris is that as drivers work with more than one company, they may accept you as a Uber customer, receive a better offer from a Bolt customer, and cancel you before they arrive.

It´s not clear what your travel objectives are beyond reaching this hotel but if Paris is your objective, you will have some serious transportation costs commuting from city to hotel each day, not to mention time involved.
Internaut likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Oh my travel objectives are quite simple. I will need to get to my customer’s office in Meudon, Monday to Friday. That is fairly simple. I can either walk 11km (by far my favourite way of burning the excess calories), or get the bus, or do a bit of each. I then have the long weekend in Paris to myself* and will likely part Uber/mostly RER to get to Paris proper. Tuesday through Thursday will be back with my customer.

Last time in Paris:

- Scammed by an unlicensed taxi driver, on arrival, paying €200 to get to Meudon.
- Two and a half hour Uber from Meudon to CDG, when going home.

I therefore decided a more flexible approach to getting around might work better.

* To say beloved employer was a bit miffed having asked me to go for two weeks and booked the travel at pre paid rates would be quite the understatement. They’ve made that mistake before!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:45 am

I now know the source of the 11.40€ RER ticket from CDG into Paris. This is the price for paying in advance for a ticket (normally 10.30€) which makes absolutely no sense as you will still need to pass by the kiosks to have the prepaid ticket issued. Just purchase tickets at the kiosk and save time. Further, the 11.40€ would not take you beyond Paris, to La Croix-de-Berny for example. For that you would need to purchase a special point-to-point ticket costing a bit more than 10.30€.

A further point, resolving never to take another taxi from CDG because you were scammed by something other than a taxi does´t seem logical. You never really took a taxi in the first place and there are countless signs at baggage claim and elsewhere warning about these scammers. I have always had reliable service from taxis at CDG.

Taxis from Gare du Nord offer special problems and are a separate issue.
Internaut likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I can’t believe that they cannot find you an hotel elsewhere than Rungis...
it is certainly not in the middle of nowhere because close to Orly airport and the largest food market in Europe (professional access only), but if you are aiming to Central Paris, yes it is in the middle of nowhere.
The fare on RER B will be higher than for downtown Paris. Just buy the appropriate ticket in CDG. You mention you don’t want to take a taxi (nothing wrong with that, same for me and I am French based in France ) and consider taking a Uber from the. RER B station. But you could also consider taking the Uber right from CDG.
Women’s World Cup and Roland Garos, I think. The Waldorf Versailles was showing availability but beloved employer was somewhat reluctant to put me there...

Last edited by Internaut; Jun 2, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino
I now know the source of the 11.40€ RER ticket from CDG into Paris. This is the price for paying in advance for a ticket (normally 10.30€) which makes absolutely no sense as you will still need to pass by the kiosks to have the prepaid ticket issued. Just purchase tickets at the kiosk and save time. Further, the 11.40€ would not take you beyond Paris, to La Croix-de-Berny for example. For that you would need to purchase a special point-to-point ticket costing a bit more than 10.30€.

A further point, resolving never to take another taxi from CDG because you were scammed by something other than a taxi does´t seem logical. You never really took a taxi in the first place and there are countless signs at baggage claim and elsewhere warning about these scammers. I have always had reliable service from taxis at CDG.

Taxis from Gare du Nord offer special problems and are a separate issue.
I think 2D is a problem in terms of getting the right door without being misdirected by someone who looks like (and might well be) an airport employee. 2E is more straightforward, and that is where I will be arriving tomorrow. So taxi is an option.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:51 pm

Exactly. Keep options open and numerous.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your hotel is vaguely near Orly, would it make more sense to take the bus from CDG to Orly and then take an Uber or whatever from Orly?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If your hotel is vaguely near Orly, would it make more sense to take the bus from CDG to Orly and then take an Uber or whatever from Orly?
good suggestion indeed. Rungis is very close to ORY.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Waited for over an hour for baggage, at CDG, and ended up getting a perfectly good Taxi from CDG to the hotel. Daily commute is a bit of a nightmare. Roadworks make parts of my planned walking route impassible by foot. And the weather isn’t great. So, two buses and up to 90 minute commute time in the morning. In the evening, we leave the office quite late, so a meal at Velizy 2 then a fast Uber back to the hotel. Calories? I keep them down by having one meal per day until the weather improves.

Paris? At commute time it is essentially London in French. So different to Rennes last year. The ticket machines for the public transport are among the best I’ve used anywhere.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Internaut
Waited for over an hour for baggage, at CDG, and ended up getting a perfectly good Taxi from CDG to the hotel. Daily commute is a bit of a nightmare. Roadworks make parts of my planned walking route impassible by foot. And the weather isn’t great. So, two buses and up to 90 minute commute time in the morning. In the evening, we leave the office quite late, so a meal at Velizy 2 then a fast Uber back to the hotel. Calories? I keep them down by having one meal per day until the weather improves.

Paris? At commute time it is essentially London in French. So different to Rennes last year. The ticket machines for the public transport are among the best I’ve used anywhere.
Indeed the weather is horrible for the last 2 days after a great super long ascension break. And it's scheduled to be bad all week.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by Internaut
Paris? At commute time it is essentially London in French.
London in French, with the added Gallic/Mediterranean temper in the tube/RER :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.