Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Oh RER B...How do I hate you...? Let me count the ways....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

1/
"This train will serve Roissy-Aeroport Charles de Gaulle"
"This train will terminate here. To continue to Roissy-Aeroport Charles de Gaulle, please descend one flight of stairs and ascend another flight of stairs to track 4.
"The train on track 4 is leaving in 2 minutes.
"The next train to Roissy-Aeroport Charles de Gaulle will depart from this track in.... 22....minutes.

Do the managers of the RATP own stock in UBER?
Old May 6, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
1/
"This train will serve Roissy-Aeroport Charles de Gaulle"
"This train will terminate here. To continue to Roissy-Aeroport Charles de Gaulle, please descend one flight of stairs and ascend another flight of stairs to track 4.
"The train on track 4 is leaving in 2 minutes.
"The next train to Roissy-Aeroport Charles de Gaulle will depart from this track in.... 22....minutes.

Do the managers of the RATP own stock in UBER?
LOL. Our last trip leaving from St. Michel the elevator from Quai Saint Michel was out of service and closed, leaving us with a scramble to the tracks including a long stretch of steps. There was a tantalizing sign saying that an escalator was coming sometime this century.

Last edited by milepig; May 7, 2019 at 6:05 am
Old May 7, 2019, 1:29 am
Original Poster

yep.

If it were just overcrowded and slow, at least you could factor in extra time and deal with it, but the track changes with the poor communications is the worst - just shows complete disregard for airport travelers
I speak french and travel light and it's becoming a pain. Can't imagine doing it with a family and real bags.
(And I'm from NY! - These guys make the LIRR look good, which is not an easy feat.)
Old May 7, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Delighted to read this thread. I used to love it, but then hadn't taken it for a number of years. I thought it was completely ghetto last month. Disgusting train, absolutely filthy and it smelled. Very poor signage and completely unclear which train to take. A horrible experience.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:43 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
RER B is rather like Roissy itself. It all seemed so exciting and innovative in the 80s, but has rather faded since then.

Apart from the GdN concourse. That's never been right.

They don't even change drivers at GdN these days. Is it the voltage change on ageing stock that causes the problems, or just the latter?
Old May 9, 2019, 3:47 am
Original Poster

To be fair, I think that CDG itself has improved quite a bit in the last few years (from the low point when the roof collapsed at 2E), but the RER seems to just continue it's decline.
Curious about this voltage change thing you've mentioned though. Did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I have noticed a short pause at GdN, but never gave it much thought.

Got any more info about it?

Originally Posted by stut
RER B is rather like Roissy itself. It all seemed so exciting and innovative in the 80s, but has rather faded since then.

Apart from the GdN concourse. That's never been right.

They don't even change drivers at GdN these days. Is it the voltage change on ageing stock that causes the problems, or just the latter?
Old May 9, 2019, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair, I think that CDG itself has improved quite a bit in the last few years (from the low point when the roof collapsed at 2E), but the RER seems to just continue it's decline.
Curious about this voltage change thing you've mentioned though. Did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I have noticed a short pause at GdN, but never gave it much thought.

Got any more info about it?
That is where they switch from the SNCF network to the RATP network.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The RER B Wikipedia page discusses it.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Interesting read, thanks!
(I still hate it though! )

Originally Posted by NickB
Old May 10, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I guess you can't blame RER B for this one, but there was the smelly woman the last time we were going into town. Packed train and we were so wedged into our seats there was no real chance to wiggle, much less move, the person who was in the window seat next to us managed to wiggle out at her stop and before we could even try to adjust to make the now empty seat available the smelly woman mentioned above entered the car and literally launched herself into the air to get to the seat. She was airborne. Mrs. Milepig was seriously bruised. The women then spent the rest of the trip into town alternatively talking to herself and screaming at no one in particular.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:58 pm

You guess?
Old May 11, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
No other major world airport has such a decrepit, poorly maintained, dreadfully designed rail transit into the city. I will use RER B only when it is truly the last choice. I much prefer the LeBus Direct service.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by tvhead
No other major world airport has such a decrepit, poorly maintained, dreadfully designed rail transit into the city. I will use RER B only when it is truly the last choice. I much prefer the LeBus Direct service.
Come to Atlanta. We always try to overachieve with a poorly run system.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:54 pm

Other then the middle of the day, RER B has regular, every 15 mins?, express trains that skip all the ghetto stops. Worth waiting for.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Horrid. I stick with uber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.