Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

14 July - Paris oui or non?

Old Apr 23, 19, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Mrs secondsoprano and I will be in France during July and have the choice to spend Bastille Day in Paris or in the countryside. Which would you recommend for something approaching a "genuine" French independence day experience? Are there good things happening in the city or has everyone gone away except the tourists? Do small towns have their own festivities which we could join in or is it more family oriented?
Old Apr 24, 19, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Paris has the boring military parade, then the firemen's ball (lots of fun). Every or most fire dept have them.

Where I live, I just go down the street to the corner cafe, sit outside and watch the military whatever pass by, because they congregate by the Champs de Mars.

Every village will have a firemen's dance and dancing in the main square of the village. Fun.
secondsoprano likes this.
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:51 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Well, it depends

First, realize that "Bastille Day" is an English term not used in France, where 14 July is known as <<fête nationale>>

In Paris, throngs will accumulate on the Champs de Mars for the fireworks. The pompiers balls have already been mentioned, will be all over town and fun if you like that sort of thing (I do)

If you venture out into the country, the scale of festivities will reduce in proportion to the population density of your location.
Personally, I like Paris on 14 Juillet. .
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Merci!
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: too many
As a Frenchman, if I were you I'd go out of Paris for the 14th of July, you might find a much more authentic experience, with less crowds and more amusement. Cities such as Tours, Orleans, Reims or even smaller cities, would be awesome places to go and celebrate.
Check on the local tourist office website, they're called "Office du tourisme" in French
Old Apr 29, 19, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeamusSA View Post
First, realize that "Bastille Day" is an English term not used in France, where 14 July is known as <<fête nationale>>
You are right that Bastille day is not an expression that would be recognised in French. However, "fête nationale" is not that common either to refer to the 14th of July. "Fête nationale" might be what they write down on calendars and the like but I can't say that it would be much used in ordinary speech. "Tu fais quoi pour le 14 juillet?" would sound natural whereas many native speakers would wonder what you are talking about if you said "tu fais quoi pour la fête nationale?"
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I've experienced the huge crowds on the Champs de Mars on 14 Juillet. It was great fun. I'd deliberately chosen a hotel that was only a few blocks away, so although there were massive crowds, it was easy enough to get to/from the hotel.
Old May 1, 19, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
You are right that Bastille day is not an expression that would be recognised in French. However, "fête nationale" is not that common either to refer to the 14th of July. "Fête nationale" might be what they write down on calendars and the like but I can't say that it would be much used in ordinary speech. "Tu fais quoi pour le 14 juillet?" would sound natural whereas many native speakers would wonder what you are talking about if you said "tu fais quoi pour la fête nationale?"
I fully agree with your statement.
Old May 15, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
d'accord

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Yep, much like in the US where calendars say "Independence Day" but almost everyone refers to "the 4th of July." In practice, I also say <<quatorze juillet>>
NickB likes this.

Last edited by SeamusSA; May 15, 19 at 9:06 pm Reason: typo