Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Notre Dame is burning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Notre Dame is burning

CNN is showing pictures of Notre Dame Cathedral on fire, apparently it started about 15-30 minutes ago. Firefighters are having trouble reaching the fire with water. It looks like the roof at the highest part is where flames are the worst, including the spire.

So sad and shocking.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini, Le Club AccorHotels, Rosewood Elite, Shangri-La, Four Seasons PP, etc.
I just saw that, I can't believe it. It's been burning for some time now, I'm afraid the damage will be considerable. It seems it originated from the repairs. So sad. I used to live nearby and visited the cathedral so many times
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Seems like an uneven battle for the firefighters. Given the current images on the news I'm afraid the Cathedral will be lost The spire has collapsed in the meantime
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:26 pm

Horrible to see. I'm an entirely irreligious person but having lived in Paris I feel quite devastated watching it. No doubt it will be rebuilt in due course - as most historic monuments have been at some time or other - but a sad day.
drjeffrock and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini, Le Club AccorHotels, Rosewood Elite, Shangri-La, Four Seasons PP, etc.
Horrible indeed, unbelievable. I am not religious either but this building is more than a church. It took over 100 years to build, generations worked on it and many didn't see the finished product they worked on for years. I also lived in Paris and it breaks my heart.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I see Notre Dame everyday. So sad right now.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I see Notre Dame everyday. So sad right now.
why is it that they haven't been able to put the fire off?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
They’re saying on the news that they don’t have helicopters and the hoses can’t reach.

So so very sad.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:49 pm

Sorry to see the building burning and probably the lose of all the artwork inside ,
Sad Day
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Sorry to see the building burning and probably the lose of all the artwork inside ,
Sad Day
One thing I saw is that first responders are focusing on trying to save what artwork they can, because they know they have no hope of saving the interior.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Sad Day
Read elsewhere that this fire may have been caused by the renovations that Notre Dame has been undergoing. However, because of those renovations, much of the artwork had been moved elsewhere. So there’s a silver lining in that the artwork won’t be damaged by the fire since it’s not there.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:05 pm

The building is an artwork, a masterpiece, un chef d'oeuvre!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RussianTexan

Read elsewhere that this fire may have been caused by the renovations that Notre Dame has been undergoing. However, because of those renovations, much of the artwork had been moved elsewhere. So there’s a silver lining in that the artwork won’t be damaged by the fire since it’s not there.
Read that it was certain statues that were removed in order to repair them but most of the artwork remained intact..

Any reports of a sighting of Quasimodo? Hopefully he got out in time
RussianTexan likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:15 pm

Very sad. It can be rebuilt to a sturdier design, which is probably better for Parisians in the long run.
muji likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Absolutely shocking at how slow the response has been, there seems to have been no planning or effort involved.

Hopefully the mayor resigns, as well as the firefighing leadership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.