FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Notre Dame is burning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1965536-notre-dame-burning.html)

MSPeconomist Apr 15, 2019 11:51 am

Notre Dame is burning

CNN is showing pictures of Notre Dame Cathedral on fire, apparently it started about 15-30 minutes ago. Firefighters are having trouble reaching the fire with water. It looks like the roof at the highest part is where flames are the worst, including the spire.

So sad and shocking.

kmora Apr 15, 2019 11:54 am

I just saw that, I can't believe it. It's been burning for some time now, I'm afraid the damage will be considerable. It seems it originated from the repairs. So sad. I used to live nearby and visited the cathedral so many times :(

TimDP Apr 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Seems like an uneven battle for the firefighters. Given the current images on the news I'm afraid the Cathedral will be lost :( The spire has collapsed in the meantime

Ldnn1 Apr 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Horrible to see. I'm an entirely irreligious person but having lived in Paris I feel quite devastated watching it. No doubt it will be rebuilt in due course - as most historic monuments have been at some time or other - but a sad day.

kmora Apr 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Horrible indeed, unbelievable. I am not religious either but this building is more than a church. It took over 100 years to build, generations worked on it and many didn't see the finished product they worked on for years. I also lived in Paris and it breaks my heart.

SEA-Flyer Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm

I see Notre Dame everyday. So sad right now.

kmora Apr 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer (Post 31003270)
I see Notre Dame everyday. So sad right now.

why is it that they haven't been able to put the fire off?

FlyerStef Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm

They’re saying on the news that they don’t have helicopters and the hoses can’t reach.

So so very sad.

LAXlocal Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Sorry to see the building burning and probably the lose of all the artwork inside ,
Sad Day

wrp96 Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal (Post 31003299)
Sorry to see the building burning and probably the lose of all the artwork inside ,
Sad Day

One thing I saw is that first responders are focusing on trying to save what artwork they can, because they know they have no hope of saving the interior.

RussianTexan Apr 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal (Post 31003299)
Sad Day

Read elsewhere that this fire may have been caused by the renovations that Notre Dame has been undergoing. However, because of those renovations, much of the artwork had been moved elsewhere. So there’s a silver lining in that the artwork won’t be damaged by the fire since it’s not there.

kmora Apr 15, 2019 1:05 pm

The building is an artwork, a masterpiece, un chef d'oeuvre!

craz Apr 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by RussianTexan (Post 31003315)

Read elsewhere that this fire may have been caused by the renovations that Notre Dame has been undergoing. However, because of those renovations, much of the artwork had been moved elsewhere. So there’s a silver lining in that the artwork won’t be damaged by the fire since it’s not there.

Read that it was certain statues that were removed in order to repair them but most of the artwork remained intact..

Any reports of a sighting of Quasimodo? Hopefully he got out in time

FlitBen Apr 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Very sad. It can be rebuilt to a sturdier design, which is probably better for Parisians in the long run.

davem4 Apr 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Absolutely shocking at how slow the response has been, there seems to have been no planning or effort involved.

Hopefully the mayor resigns, as well as the firefighing leadership.