Wiki Posts
Search

Notre Dame is burning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:39 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by davem4
Why not have hoses with the pressure to reach the height of buildings in the ciry?

Why not have fire fighting boats to reach places on the river?

​​​​​
Have you ever been to Paris?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlitBen
This is about a historical landmark, not your R&P issues. People everywhere are horrified about the fire and sympathetic to Parisians.
i completely agree and apologize. I thought I was in the parallel PR thread. I’ve asked the mod to delete it.

muji likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by davem4
Why not have hoses with the pressure to reach the height of buildings in the ciry?

Why not have fire fighting boats to reach places on the river?

​​​​​
They had fire fighting boats there, pumping water from the river to put help put out the fire.

muji likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just now saw one report in the LA Times quoting an official saying that the main organ is actually intact. I’m sure it will need restoration, but this pretty amazing.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by milepig
i completely agree and apologize. I thought I was in the parallel PR thread. I’ve asked the mod to delete it.
It's ok. We are all a bit shocked by the bad news and seeking respite in various ways.
muji and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Interesting tweet series about how they've been preparing for such a horrific accident
https://twitter.com/_theek_/status/1117895531563372544
And yet there have been (even in this thread) criticism made as if the fire-fighting authorities in Paris were bumbling clowns. The fire-fighting authorities (and their ultimate management) deserve apologies from their critics complaining about the wrong thing, but the decency to apologize for wrongful claims is less common than it could and should be.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
A long shot, but people are trying to find the father in this pic taken shortly before the fire.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Interesting tweet series about how they've been preparing for such a horrific accident
https://twitter.com/_theek_/status/1117895531563372544
I loved that tweet series. And once you think about it, the priorities make sense. People first over things.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How close can people (tourists, etc.) get to the remains of the cathedral now? I assume that the entire island was never closed off or evacuated, although I understand that this was considered.

BTW, the way I remember the location is that the back of the cathedral (convent, small graveyard, cloister, etc.) goes to the point of the island and would go to the water (with a street but no buildings being between cathedral "property" and the river) but when one goes toward the main entrance, there are rows of small tourist shops and restaurants on both sides, although the buildings would only be two or three stories high. So I'm thinking that fire boats could have reached some of the cathedral, but not the part near the towers and main entrance.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
If it can be proven that people working on the restoration caused the fire, would their insurers be required to cover the rebuilding costs?
Bankruptcy here you come. I doubt there's an insurance policy out there that covers this scope of loss!

Looking at photos you can get over by the Police building by Notre Dame. But more of the damage is on the back. and I am not sure how close you can get there.

Personally I think the fire fighters did a great job. From what I have read they went into dangerous situations to try to rescue artifacts and save as much as possible. Not sure that anyone else could have done better (without increasing damage by doing stupid things like massive water drops)
Admiral Ackbar and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And yet there have been (even in this thread) criticism made as if the fire-fighting authorities in Paris were bumbling clowns. The fire-fighting authorities (and their ultimate management) deserve apologies from their critics complaining about the wrong thing, but the decency to apologize for wrongful claims is less common than it could and should be.
I don't think we can say that they deserve apologies yet, just as we can't say whether they deserve criticism, because we don't really know whether they did a good job or not. Yes they saved the building and impressions today are that they did reasonably well in so doing, but could they have done better? I have no clue.

Looking at Grenfell Tower by way of example, the firefighters weren't the focus of criticism in the aftermath, but it's become quite clear that they failed on multiple counts in quite serious ways.

At this stage, I don't think it's worth commenting either way on the firefighting job at Notre Dame, other than of course to commend their bravery.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How close can people (tourists, etc.) get to the remains of the cathedral now? I assume that the entire island was never closed off or evacuated, although I understand that this was considered.

BTW, the way I remember the location is that the back of the cathedral (convent, small graveyard, cloister, etc.) goes to the point of the island and would go to the water (with a street but no buildings being between cathedral "property" and the river) but when one goes toward the main entrance, there are rows of small tourist shops and restaurants on both sides, although the buildings would only be two or three stories high. So I'm thinking that fire boats could have reached some of the cathedral, but not the part near the towers and main entrance.

I went by it on my way to the office this morning. Access to the island is restricted - the closest open bridges were Pont au Change and Pont Saint-Michel. On the island you couldn’t get closer than that.

Best views were from the left bank, down by Shakespeare and Company.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I don't think we can say that they deserve apologies yet, just as we can't say whether they deserve criticism, because we don't really know whether they did a good job or not. Yes they saved the building and impressions today are that they did reasonably well in so doing, but could they have done better? I have no clue.

Looking at Grenfell Tower by way of example, the firefighters weren't the focus of criticism in the aftermath, but it's become quite clear that they failed on multiple counts in quite serious ways.

At this stage, I don't think it's worth commenting either way on the firefighting job at Notre Dame, other than of course to commend their bravery.
Im sure a comprehensive enquiry/debrief will be conducted to look for ways to do better in future. That is as it should be.

What will ALSO happen of course is a great deal of "Monday morning Quarterbacking" People with all the time in the world to calmly go over the smallest of details (again and again) will rant about less-than-optimal decisions made by those onsite under all the stresses of being on the spot. Ridiculous, but it happens every time.

Im with you on that on that last comment. The account of the Paris Fire Brigades Chaplain and other volunteers saving so much from the fire is quite inspiring. Given that the Paris Fire Brigade is actually part of the Army (trust the French to do things differently ) I would hope an appropriate commendation or decoration is forthcoming.
muji, wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
France 24 was saying at one point that evacuation of the island was underway. I'd assume people were given the all clear to return after the fire was contained
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
France 24 was saying at one point that evacuation of the island was underway. I'd assume people were given the all clear to return after the fire was contained
I was just watching TV shots of a vigil that seemed to be in the plaza just out front, so I’d say “fairly close” at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.