Notre Dame is burning

Old Apr 15, 19, 7:05 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
Deleted
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

For me, it was my first visit to a cathedral abroad and the French landmark I most wanted to see on my first trip to Paris. Probably a function of my being a fan of Victor Hugo and his Hunchback of Nôtre Dame book.

I have been to a lot of cathedrals since, including the National Cathedral In NW DC, but I too would say that for me there is no cathedral in the world like Nôtre Dame de Paris and what it represents to me.
I agree. Aachen and Vezeley perhaps come close and I love the bare stark Protestant cathedral in Copenhagen as well as the unfinished cathedral in Barcelona, but Notre Dame is special not only as a house of religion but also for the art/history/culture embodied there. It was on the top of my list for my very first visit to Paris and I've been back many times since, sometimes for an evening service (although I'm not religious), sometimes for a concert, and sometimes just to walk around, sit a bit, and/or explore an area with which I'm not very familiar.. I especially like to visit Notre Dame (and also some other historic churches such as Saint Germain des Pres) during the Christmas season for the historic nativity displays and other very special decorations.

Now I'm suddenly thinking about possibly making a short trip to Paris quickly, to see the remains in person and to join the mourning, but I'm torn as being there would obviously be very sad. I'm just afraid that the authorities could decide to tear down the remains due to the safety risk of a further collapse.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Seems to me that Disney took their new live-action "Hunchback of Notre Dame" remake a little too far.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I agree. Aachen and Vezeley perhaps come close and I love the bare stark Protestant cathedral in Copenhagen as well as the unfinished cathedral in Barcelona, but Notre Dame is special not only as a house of religion but also for the art/history/culture embodied there. It was on the top of my list for my very first visit to Paris and I've been back many times since, sometimes for an evening service (although I'm not religious), sometimes for a concert, and sometimes just to walk around, sit a bit, and/or explore an area with which I'm not very familiar.. I especially like to visit Notre Dame (and also some other historic churches such as Saint Germain des Pres) during the Christmas season for the historic nativity displays and other very special decorations.

Now I'm suddenly thinking about possibly making a short trip to Paris quickly, to see the remains in person and to join the mourning, but I'm torn as being there would obviously be very sad. I'm just afraid that the authorities could decide to tear down the remains due to the safety risk of a further collapse.
just a small thing. Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia is not the cathedral. It’s actually and amazingly a parish church.
wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:34 pm

Quel dommage! It's like watching the fall of Paris.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Quel dommage! It's like watching the fall of Paris.
Paris is Burning? Wasn't that the title of some novel or movie?

However, I'm pleased to see a dragon consider a fire to be a "dommage". Maybe all that free elite hotel/airplane water is helping to irrigate your soul and scales.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Paris is Burning? Wasn't that the title of some novel or movie?

However, I'm pleased to see a dragon consider a fire to be a "dommage". Maybe all that free elite hotel/airplane water is helping to irrigate your soul and scales.
It was a documentary about the New York City drag queen culture in the 1980's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Is_Burning_(film)
Old Apr 15, 19, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
He's what, comparing it to the, um, none that he's set foot in? I take that back - there are pics of him in Washington National looking bored and holding an unopened program in his hand.
This is about a historical landmark, not your R&P issues. People everywhere are horrified about the fire and sympathetic to Parisians.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by milepig View Post

just a small thing. Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia is not the cathedral. It’s actually and amazingly a parish church.
And the basilica in Vezelay, Sainte Marie-Madeleine, isn't a cathedral either; it's an abbey church. Though I agree that it is wonderful. (Sorry, I don't know how to multi-quote to show the post mentioning it, nor do I know how to make an ASCII accented e on my tablet. Guess I'm a pretty bad know-it-all.)
Old Apr 16, 19, 2:18 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
Before you spew such nonsense (surprised you didn't suggest water bombing), the framework (known colloquially as The Forest) is built from 13,000 individual oak trees that have been drying since the 12th Century.

The plan is a)saving the artwork b)saving the 2 stone towers and the rosaries and c)trying to prevent Ile de la Cité from entirely burning down.
Why not have hoses with the pressure to reach the height of buildings in the ciry?

Why not have fire fighting boats to reach places on the river?

​​​​​
MSPeconomist and KenTarmac like this.
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:44 am

It's terrible. I was there in November...It was perfect...
Hope they will restore it.
Old Apr 16, 19, 4:33 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by davem4 View Post
Why not have hoses with the pressure to reach the height of buildings in the ciry?

Why not have fire fighting boats to reach places on the river?

​​​​​
Its not just a question of height, but height presumably at a distance. As a senior firefighter has already been quoted as stating a building of that age was NOT built with any consideration for firefighting access....I imagine they have had ALL sorts of difficulty trying to attack the seat of the fire...

Fire boats? The bridges on both sides look pretty low to me... the tourist boats are built to get under them... I wonder if any real firefighting vessel could...…. and from where? There are a LOT of low bridges in Paris... and even then the same problem... trying to send water OVER a significantly built up area to the point of the fire....
Old Apr 16, 19, 4:43 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by Yanani View Post
It's terrible. I was there in November...It was perfect...
Hope they will restore it.
Im sure they will. Interestingly the owners of Gucci/Yves St Laurent have reportedly already pledged 100 million Euro to restoration efforts..... I say "interestingly" because in the 1920's the Rockefeller Foundation contributed in large measure to the costs of restoring the Reims Cathedral after it had been gutted in WW1....

I don't think the French will be alone in wanting to see it restored properly... nor I suspect will they be alone in funding such a restoration.
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Im sure they will. Interestingly the owners of Gucci/Yves St Laurent have reportedly already pledged 100 million Euro to restoration efforts..... I say "interestingly" because in the 1920's the Rockefeller Foundation contributed in large measure to the costs of restoring the Reims Cathedral after it had been gutted in WW1....

I don't think the French will be alone in wanting to see it restored properly... nor I suspect will they be alone in funding such a restoration.
If it can be proven that people working on the restoration caused the fire, would their insurers be required to cover the rebuilding costs?
Old Apr 16, 19, 6:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, EB*G
Interesting tweet series about how they've been preparing for such a horrific accident
trooper, muji and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread