FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Lyon to Paris by Train Cost (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1963439-lyon-paris-train-cost.html)

NYCRachel Mar 31, 2019 10:55 pm

Lyon to Paris by Train Cost

I'm traveling to Paris from Lyon on July 7th and need to get the last train back to Paris at 22:04. That evening is the Women's World Cup Final in Lyon, which I am attending. I've been stalking oui.sncf and that train ticket is finally bookable... for 97 Euros per person in 2nd Class. Does that seem like an absurd amount of money for a two hour train ride? I understand the soccer match may be a factor, but that seems crazy. Am I looking on the correct site? Any help would be very appreciated :)

trooper Mar 31, 2019 11:22 pm

On Trainline.com its 100 euro (well AUD $160)… Looks like that's what it is!

Edit: Checked a sunday in late april...it was half that price...

mlin32 Apr 1, 2019 2:55 am

Yup, that's the right price. Prices fluctuate based on demand and given that off-peak fares in advance are usually less than half that, the 97€ you're seeing on that date is probably due to the reason you mentioned- the sporting event. That's the way supply and demand works.

NYCRachel Apr 1, 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by mlin32 (Post 30951555)
Yup, that's the right price. Prices fluctuate based on demand and given that off-peak fares in advance are usually less than half that, the 97€ you're seeing on that date is probably due to the reason you mentioned- the sporting event. That's the way supply and demand works.

Thanks. Assumed so, but 97 euro for two hours is quite the racket.

Do they ever end up adding additional trains for big events? I wonder if I should buy a refundable ticket.

andrewesque Apr 1, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by NYCRachel (Post 30952755)
Thanks. Assumed so, but 97 euro for two hours is quite the racket.

It is expensive, but I'd encourage you to look at it another way, since I see that you, like me, are also NYC-based:

Lyon to Paris is a straight-line distance of 400 km/250 mi and the train does this run in about 2 hours. New York to Washington is a bit shorter at 320 km/200 mi as the crow flies, but the fastest Acela run is an hour longer at 3 hours minimum, and I don't think I've ever seen it start cheaper than $100. (I know the Regional is cheaper, but it's at least 3h30m, and a quick look now at July 7 NYC-DC trains reveals that even a lot of the Regionals are priced at $96).

I think you're unlucky on your choice of departure date so the supply/demand equation is biting you -- if you were to depart one week later on Sunday 14 July, nearly all the 2nd class departures will run you €40-€50. From a US perspective I'd love to be able to travel 250 miles in 2 hours on a train for $45-$55!

NYCRachel Apr 28, 2019 2:58 pm

FYI I semi-forgot about this and the cost nearly tripled in less than a month for a train journey in July!

I actually ended up buying a two day "One Country France" rail pass for $135 total (I plan on using the train another day as well) and was able to book this train for only 20 Euros. Nice little hack.