Reload this Page >

Uber Paris Vehicles and How to Use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Paris Vehicles and How to Use

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
We were in Paris 3 weeks ago, and used UberX at least a dozen times. We never had to wait more than a few minutes, and like Need we rode in a Mercedes sedan, Peugeot, and other similar vehicles that handled us (2 adults & 1 teen + 3 carry on bags + 3 backpacks) without any problems. All drivers were very nice, and one of them even used Google Translate on his phone to have a full conversation with us (and vice versa). I am not sure if the drivers were expecting tips, but we always added them via the app. Uber in Paris was incredibly easy and convenient.
Yahillwe and Goldorak like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:57 pm

While we use Uber regularly in Paris, we usually use a taxi to/from the airport. Fixed fares and the taxi’s ability to use restricted lanes (which Uber does not have).
JOUY31 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
While we use Uber regularly in Paris, we usually use a taxi to/from the airport. Fixed fares and the taxi’s ability to use restricted lanes (which Uber does not have).

I think Uber can use the bus lanes. I prefer uber style cars to taxis when I arrive from a long flight. They are just outside greeting me, take my bags put them in the car and all that I have to do is sit and close my eyes.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I think Uber can use the bus lanes. I prefer uber style cars to taxis when I arrive from a long flight. They are just outside greeting me, take my bags put them in the car and all that I have to do is sit and close my eyes.
No, Uber vehicles, just like any VTC vehicle, cannot use bus lanes in France. As for greeting me upon arrival, pre-booked G7 taxis do just that for me.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Ubers in Paris don’t use the bus lanes and I’m sure if they could, they would.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by JOUY31
No, Uber vehicles, just like any VTC vehicle, cannot use bus lanes in France. As for greeting me upon arrival, pre-booked G7 taxis do just that for me.
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader

Ubers in Paris don’t use the bus lanes and I’m sure if they could, they would.
They've always taken them, even yesterday on the quad he did. Next time I will take a picture.

And he took the bus lane from the cross section of St Germain/Raspail- then on to St Germain all the way to the Assemble General, in the bus lane. The bus lane goes opposite the traffic.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:29 am

I have been in some Paris Ubers that use bus lanes, but many more that do not, even in heavy traffic.

Do you know of any true authority (eg. law) on the matter?
Old May 7, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
There is a fine of 135€ for any vehicle, other than buses or Taxis Parisiens, caught using the bus lanes.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:03 am

Rick Steves is no lawyer but his guidebooks are usually well informed. The Paris book states that Uber can’t use the bus lanes, thus making them slower in rush hour.

While I’been in Paris Ubers that went into the bus lane, they zig-zagged in and out, suggesting the driver knew he didn’t belong there. I have also been in Ubers that stayed out of the bus lane, even in stopped traffic. Thus when I call an Uber, I assume they won’t risk using the bus lane and I allow time for a ride in regular traffic.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked my Le Cab driver, he said they and taxis can use the bus lane, he said Il west tolere. But sometimes they get a ticket, even taxis.

There 5 streets/Blvd they absolutely can't use:

Rue Lafayette.
Certain places on Blvd St Germain.
Blvd L'Hopital
Magenta
And tous les quais.

This is what he told me this am. Correct or no, don't know. But I always had drivers use the bus lane.

And tous les quais.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
This article says "A noter que les VTC en sont, eux, exclus…." ("note that ride-share services are excluded [from the access granted to taxis]").
Old May 27, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I forgot to mention this earlier in the thread. On a Saturday night last month I called for an Uber from the George V to the Royal Monceau. (Granted this is a short ride, but then again, I'm paying for it.) We were going to dinner.

The app showed a driver as accepting the ride in the same way it would in the US. Suddenly I received a message from the driver in English saying something like "please cancel this ride." Then an app message from Uber said something like, "you can cancel this ride with no penalty;click here." This happened twice until I got the third driver. The doormen claimed they had never seen this happen.

Anyone have any idea what went on?
Old May 28, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I forgot to mention this earlier in the thread. On a Saturday night last month I called for an Uber from the George V to the Royal Monceau. (Granted this is a short ride, but then again, I'm paying for it.) We were going to dinner.

The app showed a driver as accepting the ride in the same way it would in the US. Suddenly I received a message from the driver in English saying something like "please cancel this ride." Then an app message from Uber said something like, "you can cancel this ride with no penalty;click here." This happened twice until I got the third driver. The doormen claimed they had never seen this happen.

Anyone have any idea what went on?
I think you misread. The message was that the driver cancelled the ride. When this happens, the system is looking immediately for a new driver that is assigned to your ride. This problem is happening more and more in Paris. All Uber driver are also working for other companies (Marcel, etc) which are paying more than Uber, so if they have a ride proposed at the same time as Uber, they cancel your Uber ride to accept the other. Very frustrating.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Goldorak

I think you misread. The message was that the driver cancelled the ride. When this happens, the system is looking immediately for a new driver that is assigned to your ride. This problem is happening more and more in Paris. All Uber driver are also working for other companies (Marcel, etc) which are paying more than Uber, so if they have a ride proposed at the same time as Uber, they cancel your Uber ride to accept the other. Very frustrating.
I hear what you're saying. Why is the system asking me, not him, to cancel?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Have never used any of the ride services since the taxi drivers were doing severe Uber car protests. Glad to hear the things have changed. About G7 taxi, do you mean that you can pre-book it and they will be at the airport waiting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.