Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Uber Paris Vehicles and How to Use

Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

I looked at Uber's Paris page and they seem to have about three choices from CDG, UberX, Berline and Van.

Anyone know what kinds of vehicles these are and how big? Can I fit two people plus two suitcases plus two carryons in the Uber X?

Also, regardless of what it says on the website, in your personal experience, are the drivers expecting tips to be added to the app?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Anyone know what kinds of vehicles these are and how big? Can I fit two people plus two suitcases plus two carryons in the Uber X?
As long as it is "regular suitcases" it will be fine with UberX. I mean, compared to other countries, Americans tend to travel with giant suitcases and it seems you are from US as er your profile. So I just want to make sure

Also, regardless of what it says on the website, in your personal experience, are the drivers expecting tips to be added to the app?
At the end of the course, you will be asked to rate the ride and you will be given the possibility to give a tip. If you're happy, give 2 or 3 EUR as a tip. But this is certainly not mandatory. Just common.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
As long as it is "regular suitcases" it will be fine with UberX. I mean, compared to other countries, Americans tend to travel with giant suitcases and it seems you are from US as er your profile. So I just want to make sure

At the end of the course, you will be asked to rate the ride and you will be given the possibility to give a tip. If you're happy, give 2 or 3 EUR as a tip. But this is certainly not mandatory. Just common.
LOL! If you want to see GIANT suitcases you need to see our (Aussie Universities) full time Chinese students going home for uni breaks! They must buy THEIR bags at a special store because Ive never seen bags that size sold anywhere here... I have NO idea how they manage at check in... I helped one young lady by lifting her suitcase on to the bus she was catching... and my "calibrated luggage weight" right arm was SURE it was also over 32 kg....
Goldorak likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
You may want to check with Bolt or Kapten (a French Uber equivalent) which are arguably becoming more popular in Paris than is Uber.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yup, we have these "big" bags made by a German company owned by a French conglomerate, bought from a French retailer. Who do you think are their customers?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:04 am
Original Poster

I looked at Uber's Paris page and they seem to have about three choices from CDG, UberX, Berline and Van.

Anyone know what kinds of vehicles these are and how big?
Again, anyone know what kind of cars? A friend of mine told me she used Uber in Paris and got Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Tesla but does not think she used the Berline category. Does this make sense? Here in NYC, Tesla would never be Uber X. In fact, I've never seen an Uber Tesla.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:16 am

Not sure what you are asking. The car type is whatever the driver owns or uses. It's his choice, not necessarily Uber´s.

I no longer use Uber in Paris but in the past when I did, there was no defining the type of car used by the driver.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Tamino
You may want to check with Bolt or Kapten (a French Uber equivalent) which are arguably becoming more popular in Paris than is Uber.
Are those new? I alternate between Le Cab and Uber. I thought Bolt is that awful scooter/trotinette, now they have cars?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Are those new? I alternate between Le Cab and Uber. I thought Bolt is that awful scooter/trotinette, now they have cars?
Bolt used to be Taxify, present in several countries.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:58 am

The scooters/trotinettes are becoming a genuine nuisance, not to mention a danger to those who ride them without protection. With so many people investing money in electric scooters, the potential profits must be enormous.

Kapten used to be Chauffeur Privé. There must be a reason behind all the VTC name changes.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by flyslow
Bolt used to be Taxify, present in several countries.
Originally Posted by Tamino
The scooters/trotinettes are becoming a genuine nuisance, not to mention a danger to those who ride them without protection. With so many people investing money in electric scooters, the potential profits must be enormous.

Kapten used to be Chauffeur Privé. There must be a reason behind all the VTC name changes.

Thanks, they changed their names.

I hate those trotinettes, hate them with passion. Someone executed my idea, I saw one in the Seine.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:35 am

I understand that last Tuesday, the city picked up a number of them and hauled them to the dump stating that they were unregistered vehicles blocking sidewalks. Presently, there is no law offering guidance on their use. I believe that complaints by many people are getting the city´s attention.
Yahillwe likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Again, anyone know what kind of cars? A friend of mine told me she used Uber in Paris and got Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Tesla but does not think she used the Berline category. Does this make sense? Here in NYC, Tesla would never be Uber X. In fact, I've never seen an Uber Tesla.
Hi OP - we were just in Paris for two weeks and used Uber Berline service several times. It's like Uber Black in the USA: we had a large Mercedes sedan most times, and a large Audi sedan once. All the cars were black, and all with drivers who were a cut above the regular Uber drivers in their demeanor and dress. Only difference perhaps that we never had a large SUV such as Lincoln Navigator Cadillac Escalade because I don't think anything equivalent exists in France.

Oh, and we have Tesla's as Uber cars out here in San Francisco pretty regularly.

And yes, they would all accommodate two large bags in the trunk/boot!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:26 pm

We took UberX everywhere in Paris. They came in all sizes. We had Mercedes sedan, Audi, and Peugeot. I think most of them could fit 2 suitcases and 2 carryon's. I don't think they expected tips and most of the drivers did not speak English well or choose not to say much. Pretty much, "Hello are you ....?" and "Thank you" when we got there.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
We used uberX and had a variety of vehicles, all nicer than what we usually get in the US. We had two large and two carry on bags and had no problem, ever, As for tipping, it is done on the app post ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.