Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Roissybus or RER E/B to CDG T2-E- Sunday morning from St. Lazare

Old Mar 23, 19, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Title mostly says it all! Family of 4 ending our trip at a hotel right by Gare Saint Lazare. Need to arrive at CDG T2-E around 10:30-10:50 AM on a Sunday morning (August if that matters). Carry-on size roller bags only, kids can mostly handle theirs but do get a bit whiny if we walk too far We will have Navigo Decouverte passes, so cost and extra Metro rides are not a problem, and we have no need to pay for a taxi/Uber as we are comfortable with public transit in general and this is my 4th time to Paris. General goals:

1. Least variable travel time to CDG.
2. Minimize walking time within reason, don't mind stairs much.

So options are either Metro 3 to Opera, exit at Rue Scribe, across the street to pick up the Roissybus, OR RER E from Gare Haussmann to Magenta, transfer to RER B to CDG. Questions:

1. I assume at that time on a Sunday morning (leaving approx. 9:30 AM) traffic will be minimal in the city and on the A1, correct? Of course I could always check Google Maps before departure to confirm. If traffic is light, would it be about 50 minutes from leaving Rue Scribe to the Roissybus T2-E dropoff?

2. The transfer from RER E to RER B at Magenta/Gare du Nord seems pretty easy- I have been through Gare du Nord many times before but never Magenta. I shouldn't need more than 10 minutes from getting off the RER E to get on the RER B, correct?

3. How is the reliability of each mode recently (for those who have done either one)? Roissybus seems pretty solid overall, but do they really keep to the every 15 minute departure schedule? And I can handle a 15-20 minute delay on the RER B, which I know happens sometimes. How likely is a 45 minute delay based on recent experience?

Thanks all!
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini, Le Club AccorHotels, Rosewood Elite, Shangri-La, Four Seasons PP, etc.
The RER B from Chatelet or Gare du Nord is the quickest way. The Roissybus takes 1h at regular hours to 1.5h at peak hours, I have taken it regularly. I always prefer the RER unless I am loaded with bags.
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:18 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini, Le Club AccorHotels, Rosewood Elite, Shangri-La, Four Seasons PP, etc.
Although the Magenta could be better per the RATP. I think either way would be around the same time. Just check with the RATP in advance because trains run less on Sundays.
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:29 pm

Uber is a lot simpler, faster and cheaper option, there shouln’t be much traffic on Sunday morning.
Old Mar 23, 19, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by boboqui View Post
Uber is a lot simpler, faster and cheaper option, there shouln’t be much traffic on Sunday morning.
100% in agreement with you. For 4 people, it will cost the same to take a Uber or a taxi with 0 hassle. On a Sunday morning it will take only 45 min to reach CDG (no traffic). This is a no brainer case.
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:11 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Heavy traffic is unusual anytime in August. On a Sunday morning in August, there will be no traffic.

Uber is not necessarily cheaper than a taxi. On my last trip to CDG a few weeks ago, the RER B was unexpectedly slowed due to a power problem. Uber quoted me 100€. I paid a taxi driver 50€.

The way in which you have constructed your question, I infer that you want to save cost and use your Navigo cards. RER E/B is a simple solution with no additional expense.

No matter the choice, allow one hour transportation time. Reliability with any option, is always a concern. Remain flexible and have alternatives at the ready.
ajGoes, DCJoe1 and kmora like this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
Heavy traffic is unusual anytime in August. On a Sunday morning in August, there will be no traffic.

The way in which you have constructed your question, I infer that you want to save cost and use your Navigo cards. RER E/B is a simple solution with no additional expense.

No matter the choice, allow one hour transportation time. Reliability with any option, is always a concern. Remain flexible and have alternatives at the ready.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion about no traffic. And yes, since we will be in Paris from Tuesday-Sunday and going a few different places, getting the Navigo weekly pass seemed the best option. One thing I loved about it last time I was in Paris was it making no issue of "extra" Metro rides like going just 2 stops when we are tired at the end of the day and don't feel like walking anymore. Since the bus or train to CDG will be covered by the passes I figured it was worth the extra 15 minutes vs. taking a taxi/Uber. Goldorak, you always are a wise voice and very helpful, but in this case my cheapness wins out.

I think we will end up doing the train- there is an elevator right down to the Haussmann RER E station next to our hotel, so that will be super easy. And the walk from the CDG T2 station to the T2E check-in area is flat and smooth so hopefully no whining from the kids about pulling their bags!

Thanks all.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
Goldorak, you always are a wise voice and very helpful, but in this case my cheapness wins out.
No problem just wanted to make sure you have all info to make an educated choice !!
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

100% in agreement with you. For 4 people, it will cost the same to take a Uber or a taxi with 0 hassle. On a Sunday morning it will take only 45 min to reach CDG (no traffic). This is a no brainer case.
Apologies for the hijack of the thread... Would the same apply for a family of four from Luxembourg Garden area to CDG Terminal 1 on a Saturday morning next month (April - with a 10 AM CDG1 departure so plan is to arrive at CDG1 by 7:30 AM). Are we better taking an Uber instead of RER B?
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geo1005 View Post
Apologies for the hijack of the thread... Would the same apply for a family of four from Luxembourg Garden area to CDG Terminal 1 on a Saturday morning next month (April - with a 10 AM CDG1 departure so plan is to arrive at CDG1 by 7:30 AM). Are we better taking an Uber instead of RER B?
This one I feel confident to answer! If you have to buy 4 tickets to CDG it will cost 41.20 euros, versus probably around 50 euros for an Uber. So your savings is considerably lower than mine with the Navigo passes. You will also have to add a second step at CDG, which isn't difficult but does take a few minutes- the transfer to the CDGVAL and then 2 stops to Terminal 1. I am sure a drive that early in the morning on a weekend will be traffic free, so you are looking at a 40-45 minute drive vs. probably an hour door-door depending on how far you are from the Luxembourg station on the RER B.

Personally I would take the Uber, but if you like trains the RER B will likely work well. Aim for one of the nonstop options from Gare du Nord to Roissypole- will save you about 15 minutes.
geo1005 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
... You will also have to add a second step at CDG, which isn't difficult but does take a few minutes- the transfer to the CDGVAL and then 2 stops to Terminal 1. I am sure a drive that early in the morning on a weekend will be traffic free....
Thank you DCJoe1. Sounds like UBER is the winner. And right in line with my thinking given I'll be with two kids -
Old Mar 26, 19, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by geo1005 View Post
Definitely take a Uber or a taxi, as it was rightly explained by DCJoe1
geo1005 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

To complete this one, our decision was made for us by SNCF, which trimmed service on the RER E to do summer repairs, so the section between St-Lazare/Haussmann and Magenta was closed. We ended up walking out of the Hilton a bit late at 10:10, hopped onto a local bus for 3 stops to Auber (free because of Navigo passes so why not), and got on the 10:20 Roissybus 2 minutes before departure. As everyone predicted, there was zero traffic at that hour on an August Sunday, and we went directly out of the city, up the Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Denis/Rue de la Chappelle to the A1. Kind of a good experience to see the outer parts of Paris I had never seen before, actually.

Got to T1 at 10:54, and to our destination of T2E at 11:05, exactly 55 minutes after walking out the door of the hotel. Those who said it would take an hour were quite accurate. It was definitely a good choice because we didn't walk more than a few hundred feet with bags and didn't have to negotiate any long staircases through the Metro/RER system. Thanks all.
boboqui, ajGoes and 02BNFR like this.

Search this Thread