Nice Airport Car Hire

Nice Airport Car Hire

Old Mar 15, 19, 7:20 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Nice Airport Car Hire

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone with regular experience can help me out here. I'm off to Nice (with a toddler in tow) in April - just outside the UK and most of France's Easter holidays, for a Thu-Sun trip. I booked car hire through Europcar, on the basis that I'm a regular renter there, and get an industry discount. Car hire's fairly booked out through other providers, with rates being 3-4x more expensive than with Europcar.

Now, I'm not normally one to fall for hyperbolic online reviews, but there's a worrying theme that crops up with Europcar, and that is extreme wait times (3h+), even outside high peak. This isn't helped by being an easyJet partner (and that's who I'll be flying with).

So, I looked around, and found another good offer. This time with Alamo. Ah. Another theme here, which is closing early, or turning people away who arrive more than 1h after their flight arrival.

My only previous experience of Nice Airport, also with an April visit, was of horrendous queues - however, as I had Avis Preferred, I was able to skip them. While I could theoretically do this for Europcar, reports also tell of people who booked using an easyJet code being turned away from priority counters.

I know that car hire gets its fair share of dodgy reviews, a lot of which can be disregarded. However, the volume of complaints against Europcar rather concerns me. Am I right to be concerned? A change to Hertz or Avis is a significant investment...