Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

France Beyond Paris, Cote d'Azur

Old Feb 11, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Hello!

Sorry for how general this question is, but I'm going to Lyon for the Women's World Cup in June/July in Lyon. I'm going to have three days in France before the first match in Lyon; then another four days before the next match. I've been to Paris a bunch of times have done Nice/Cannes/St. Tropez/wine tasting in Provence. Any suggestions of where to go in between the matches? I tend to like walking around cities/eating (ala Paris), but am open to any types of fun experiences. I've heard good things about Marseilles and I just read an article boasting about Iles d'Hyeres... not sure if anyone has any strong thoughts on these places/other suggestions. Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
You'll be within easy reach of Beaune and the Côte d'Or. The Hospice of Beaune makes for an unforgettable visit. There are many interesting things to see and do in Burgundy.

Last edited by ajGoes; Feb 11, 19 at 12:27 pm Reason: Fix a spelling error.
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:07 pm

Lyon is the gastronomic capital of France and its a great place to visit. Rent a car and head off in any direction, there will be beautiful countryside, interesting towns and excellent restaurants. You have the Alps to the east and the Auvergne to the west. Here are a few suggestions. Head east to Annecy. Head south west to Le Puy. Head west to the Gorges of the Loire. Head north west to Clermont Ferrand and the small town of Vichy. Head south down the Rhône Valley to Valance. Or has already been suggested, North to Burgundy. Two hours drive in any direction, it is all great.
Old Feb 13, 19, 1:43 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
Agree with the above, there's plenty of nice experiences within a 2h drive of Lyon. The wine region around Dijon/Côte d'Or is worth exploring a few days, and Lyon itself has plenty. I think between the two cities you can easily fill up 4 days if you slow down and enjoy the areas.
Old Feb 14, 19, 12:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Marseille is an excellent city to visit, but if you rent a car, the possibility of small delightful places becomes practically infinite. Otherwise, you can also take the train to places like Strasbourg or Annecy.
Old Feb 14, 19, 3:43 am

Programs: too many
the Alps are within easy range of Lyon too, if you fancy some nice hikes.
You could go to Chambery, see the Mont Blanc, go to Albertville (Winter olympics 1992), have some awesome "fondue savoyarde",...
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of these suggestions! Googling them all now. Two notes: In the future I'll go to the French Alps to ski (been to the Italian Alps summer and winter a dozen times because I have family there) and the bf is the wine industry and I gave him a blanket "no" on the wineries (doesn't interest me enough) and he's somehow OK with that.

Excited to plan this trip!
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Tour the perfume making villages in Aix
Old Mar 31, 19, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

P.S. I know it wasn't recommended here, but I settled on Biarritz/San Sebastian. Figured it was a good place for enjoying the summer that isn't Cote d'Azur. If anyone has any burning recommendations, I'm all ears!

Search this Thread