Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Is Paris Burning(out)?

Is Paris Burning(out)?

Old Feb 3, 19, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Is Paris Burning(out)?

I just travelled via CDG to India. Long taxing, unavailability of Skybridges, planes parking at a distance, bus trip to the terminal and back in cold weather, multiple unnecessary security checks, inefficient security checking and long delays at the security make it difficult for connecting passengers at CDG. The personnel at the security often misguide the passengers. Often boarding passes do not specify terminals or gates and you have to rely on monitors, if you find them.
CDG has become worse than 3rd world country airports. The French Construction appears to be the slowest, spanning several decades of pathetic Airport "improvements".
Old Feb 3, 19, 1:13 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Some
Is there coming a trip report? This would be more suitable at the France-forum.
Old Feb 8, 19, 1:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue
It's funny the number of anti-France, anti-Paris trolls that have been swarming all of the internet in recent days.
Old Feb 9, 19, 10:58 am

OP has reached their yearly whine limit early. At this rate by March we will a board full of “poor pitiful me, who had to connect at CDG”
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
It's funny the number of anti-France, anti-Paris trolls that have been swarming all of the internet in recent days.
It's not an anti-France or anti-Paris comment to say that CDG isn't a great airport to transit and isn't a great airport overall other than for its flight network. But other things being equal, I try to avoid using CDG unless it's for trips with Paris as my origin/destination.
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:06 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
Originally Posted by Gynob001 View Post
CDG has become worse than 3rd world country airports.
Now let's not confuse CDG with Paris.

CDG has ALWAYS been a 3rd world airport to be avoided at all costs. I'm glad you're realizing what many have realized a long time ago .
The terminal design is completely wrong. Paraphrasing the wise words of one of the greatest minds on airport design, Amadeo Odoni, CDG tried every possible terminal design for their different terminals, and they got each one of them wrong.

All the anti-customer service agents don't help make things work either
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:09 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Didn't you basically make the same post a few days ago?
Old Feb 14, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I know that CDG is far from ideal, but whenI think of airports like LHR, JFK, MXP, MIA or LAX which are even worse, it seems like most of the 1st world airports are actually 3rd world airports -- and most of the best airports are in the 3rd world.
chica likes this.
Old Feb 15, 19, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
I know that CDG is far from ideal, but whenI think of airports like LHR, JFK, MXP, MIA or LAX which are even worse, it seems like most of the 1st world airports are actually 3rd world airports -- and most of the best airports are in the 3rd world.

Actually CDG is up there with LHR, but JFK/LAX have been pretty good. Though it depends on which terminal you are coming from, Terminal 7 at JFK has been super bad, long lines at immigration. Mind you, this was when I used to take BA to JFK, now I take EK (from Milan) and terminal 4 is a breeze. So was LAX.

I do agree CDG is bad. I tread going through CDG immigration, 2 agents for hundreds of travelers. Yuk.

Oh, I live in Paris, so nothing anti-France. Just that airport.