FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Riots in Paris (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/1943409-riots-paris.html)

Braniff Dec 1, 2018 4:22 pm

Riots in Paris

These are interesting times to be in Paris. From television, you see cars on fires, make shift barricades, burning tires, tear gas, stun guns, water cannons, high end stores being looted - and all of this in prime tourist areas with the Champs Elysees looking like a war zone, the Arc de Triomphe covered in graffiti and Place Vendome overtaken by a bonfire of Christmas trees! Galleries Lafayette and others forced to close...

Any first hand reports from FTers ...

Goldorak Dec 2, 2018 2:39 am

Yesterday was a very sad day to witness those unacceptable scenes of violence. Results of decades of inaction against delinquent people. But at least yesterday they have arrested about 350 persons. Life was normal in 95% of the city (outside Champs Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, bd Haussmann area). But still a very sad and shocking day :mad:

lettezilla Dec 2, 2018 2:53 am

Following as we've got a weekend booked for next Saturday and Sunday at Place Vendome, which I understand was one of the hotspots last night. We'd re-book, but change fees on the Eurostar are basically what we paid for the tickets to start with, which is frustrating. Would be very interested to hear perspectives from people on the ground.

Yahillwe Dec 2, 2018 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by lettezilla (Post 30489735)
Following as we've got a weekend booked for next Saturday and Sunday at Place Vendome, which I understand was one of the hotspots last night. We'd re-book, but change fees on the Eurostar are basically what we paid for the tickets to start with, which is frustrating. Would be very interested to hear perspectives from people on the ground.

You will be fine, really. Am sure next week, IF there will be another protest, it will have more control. 95% of the city is just fine. And life is going on.

Yahillwe Dec 2, 2018 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff (Post 30488607)
These are interesting times to be in Paris. From television, you see cars on fires, make shift barricades, burning tires, tear gas, stun guns, water cannons, high end stores being looted - and all of this in prime tourist areas with the Champs Elysees looking like a war zone, the Arc de Triomphe covered in graffiti and Place Vendome overtaken by a bonfire of Christmas trees! Galleries Lafayette and others forced to close...

Any first hand reports from FTers ...

The Champs wasn't touched. Though the Etoile and part of the 16th were touched.

I was finishing my market on Avenue Wilson, when I saw them coming down Avenue Marceau. Went to my usual cafe had my coffee and went home.

The graffiti will be cleaned up.

If you are planning on visiting, do, lots of tourists in my area, out enjoying the lights.

east_west Dec 3, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm also deciding whether to cancel a France trip in the coming week.

Any news about issues in/around CDG? Any highway closures (A3/A5/A6) or difficulties getting fuel? How about secondary/tertiary cities like Dijon or Beaune?

SJWarrior Dec 3, 2018 9:27 pm

. It’s a terrible site. Sorry to say it reminds me of antifa in the US.

ShopAround Dec 4, 2018 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 30491592)
If you are planning on visiting, do, lots of tourists in my area, out enjoying the lights.

I've spent Christmas week in Paris almost every year for the past six years. After the November 2015 attack, friends suggested I cancel. I said no. This year, again friends are saying I should cancel. Again, I said no. It would take a lot more than a protest to keep me from one of my favorite cities but I am a native New Yorker and was raised to be both tough and cautious. I am counting the days until I'm back in Paris. :-)

Goldorak Dec 4, 2018 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by east_west (Post 30496281)

Any news about issues in/around CDG? Any highway closures (A3/A5/A6) or difficulties getting fuel? How about secondary/tertiary cities like Dijon or Beaune?

there is zero issue around CDG, and globally in the whole Parisian region, except on saturdays when they demonstrate in some areas of Paris.
For the other cities you are quoting, I prefer that insiders give you some accurate info.

mlin32 Dec 5, 2018 7:52 am

I was in Paris as well last weekend, life went on as usual for most people. Indeed, for most of the day, I didn't realise how badly things were panning out except on TV. I knew stuff would happen but didn't cancel the trip (via TGV).

Only time I knew something was up was when add'l métro stations were no longer served as the protests spread. And the Gare St-Lazare smelled a bit burnt. Late in the evening when things calmed down, I witnessed some of the damage near the jardin des tuilieres and Opéra district- really despicable and sad.

But overall, no worries. I wouldn't worry about security as long as you use some common sense and a sense of awareness. I was also impacted back on the 17 Nov when I was in Strasbourg but I just got to know all the little back roads around the blockades ;)

TimDP Dec 7, 2018 12:17 am

Probably too late to change plans for those going to Paris this weekend but apparently lots of places will be closed on Saturday: Gilets jaunes, acte IV : Paris ville morte ce samedi - Le Parisien

For those who don't speak French: the titel is: Paris, ghost town on Saturday. Eiffel tower closed, lots of musea closed (Louvre, Musée d'Orsay, ....), shops strongly advised to close, pubs asked to keep tables and chairs inside

ng1265 Dec 7, 2018 4:57 am

One day, the French will rule the world. but not tomorrow, tomorrow we're on strike :-)

radio.flyer Dec 7, 2018 9:14 am

Hello,
My first post here :)
Are any additional issues foreseen around ORY? I am planning for a one-day meeting in Evry, and thinking that staying around ORY and taking local transport maybe easier, as compared to CDG and staying in Paris. I usually use CDG and take RER to/from the city.
Thanks for any insights.
Freddy

Goldorak Dec 7, 2018 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by radio.flyer (Post 30509104)
Hello,
My first post here :)
Are any additional issues foreseen around ORY? I am planning for a one-day meeting in Evry, and thinking that staying around ORY and taking local transport maybe easier, as compared to CDG and staying in Paris. I usually use CDG and take RER to/from the city.
Thanks for any insights.
Freddy

Welcome to FT :)
no problem in ORY/Evry !

Yahillwe Dec 7, 2018 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by east_west (Post 30496281)

Please don't. The manifestations are ONLY on Saturdays. Not the rest of the week. Sunday things are going back to normal. So on Saturday, if you are in Paris, put your feet up, drink some wine, have some cheese and watch movies. It will be cold and rainy, so relax. Sunday, do whatever you want.

There really isn't any danger of being physically attacked, they do building etc damage but not human.

Originally Posted by ShopAround (Post 30497681)
I've spent Christmas week in Paris almost every year for the past six years. After the November 2015 attack, friends suggested I cancel. I said no. This year, again friends are saying I should cancel. Again, I said no. It would take a lot more than a protest to keep me from one of my favorite cities but I am a native New Yorker and was raised to be both tough and cautious. I am counting the days until I'm back in Paris. :-)

Am glad that you love my little beautiful town. If you come here this year, let's have a drink.