Riots in Paris

Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by radio.flyer
Hello,
My first post here
Are any additional issues foreseen around ORY? I am planning for a one-day meeting in Evry, and thinking that staying around ORY and taking local transport maybe easier, as compared to CDG and staying in Paris. I usually use CDG and take RER to/from the city.
Thanks for any insights.
Freddy

The manifestations are ONLY on Saturdays, the rest of the week life is normal. Really.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Silver
Well, December 8th has arrived and the city has battened down the hatches. All of the major museums are closed, as well as the department stores and 45 metro stations. It will be an excellent day to visit Montmartre, the flea market, Pre Lachaise, the Buttes Chaumont and the Parc de la Villette, the zoo in the Bois de Vincennes, wander around the Cit Universitaire or the Parc Martin Luther King... I hope that some visitors will finally get off the beaten track.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: FB Gold
I'm glad I made my train trip last weekend then !

There's really so much to see outside of the immediate centre: I've been to Paris so many times and everything it's something new. I meant to go to the Bois de Vincennes last weekend but the weather and well; usual chores got to me. But I think given so many tourists go in guided groups, there's not a huge chance people will get off the beaten track.

(good for the rest of us, I guess )
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
The manifestations are ONLY on Saturdays, the rest of the week life is normal. Really.
My flight is Saturday morning and I'm staying near the Opera, so I take the RoissyBus. I'm going to head to the airport Friday evening and spend my last night at the Sheraton CDG, so I won't need to worry about any potential incidents affecting my travel to the airport - that is my one concession this year.

Am glad that you love my little beautiful town. If you come here this year, let's have a drink.
I would really enjoy that, you've always been an FTer whose posts I've found interesting. I arrive the afternoon of 23 December and leave the morning of the 29th - I don't know if you're all booked up that week with holiday plans but if you can squeeze me in, I would love to meet you.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
My son arrives on Saturday the 15th, he is taking a taxi home.

We then leave the 16th, but back to Paris on the 27th. So if your dates (the ones you posted) are for 2018, then let's meet up the 28th.

Looking forward to meeting another fellow fter. Still have not made it to GLF nor Printemps to see their windows, did you see them? How are they? Worth going?

I have to say LBM's are wonderful and worth trekking there.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
My son arrives on Saturday the 15th, he is taking a taxi home.

We then leave the 16th, but back to Paris on the 27th. So if your dates (the ones you posted) are for 2018, then let's meet up the 28th.

Looking forward to meeting another fellow fter. Still have not made it to GLF nor Printemps to see their windows, did you see them? How are they? Worth going?

I have to say LBM's are wonderful and worth trekking there.
Yes, the dates are 2018 and meeting on the 28th works for me. I'll PM you my details.

I haven't seen the windows yet as I don't arrive in Paris until 23 December, but my hotel (Indigo Opera) is just a few blocks from GLF/Printemps, so I'll see them soon. I usually make a trek to LBM since I always have a rive gauche shopping day, so I'll see those as well.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Yes, the dates are 2018 and meeting on the 28th works for me. I'll PM you my details.

I haven't seen the windows yet as I don't arrive in Paris until 23 December, but my hotel (Indigo Opera) is just a few blocks from GLF/Printemps, so I'll see them soon. I usually make a trek to LBM since I always have a rive gauche shopping day, so I'll see those as well.

You HAVE to see the LBM's windows and video them if you have kids or nieces or nephews. I even sent the videos to adults.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
We will be there for a week in January. Are all the museums closed today?

Im anticipating very cold weather, and dont speak much French so wondering about alternative indoor activities if all the museums are closed.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was in Paris today, staying the past two nights at the IC Marceau. When I went down to breakfast this morning there were police in riot gear grabbing coffee. I thought that was a bit odd to see in a luxury boutique hotel. Then I saw more and more police walking into the lobby, then opening the door to the stairwell and heading up. I guessed they had a command center there. Then, around 10:00 am I decided to leave a bit early as I had to go to Gare du Nord to pick up a car at Hertz there. I asked the police and others and it seemed the best choice would be to walk the 500 meters to the Champs-lyses, cross and grab a taxi there, as Avenue Marceau was blocked. When I walked out of the hotel I saw why it was the police HQ. The street was filled with parked police cars, swat team cars (CRS) and armored vehicles. So I walked over to the Champs-lyses and just before I got there a group of police asked me where I was going and wanted to look into my bag. I passed the test and continued, crossed over and one block later ordered an Uber to go to the station. On the way we passed the Place de l'Opra where about two hundred gilet-jaunes were standing around, mostly taking selfies of themselves. Up til then I only saw a few gilet-jaunes and lots of foreign journalists doing stand-up reports. Also there were many people like me who were just going about our business. I also saw lots of broken windows, and stores with plywood sheets covering their windows, and the luxury shops with all the inventory removed.

I finally reached the station and grabbed a Renault from Hertz and headed out of town. No real issues for me at that hour. But had I waited til the afternoon I think it would not have gone so well.

Oh, and according to reports, the major museums were open today.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Im anticipating very cold weather, and don’t speak much French so wondering about alternative indoor activities if all the museums are closed.
Paris is one of the worlds greatest cities, so of course there is a lot to do apart from the museums. Culture, sport, shopping, dining, etc. That said, I think this will mostly be over in January. Spending all day outside in frigid weather is not a popular activity. If the protests continue, there won't be too many people involved by then, IMHO.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
there were considerably less protesters today in Paris (2200), and very few incidents, all minors.
Department stores were open. Definitely a "more normal" saturday. It was time
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to my Marche, on Ave Wilson, it was open (last Sat it wasn't), but after a while the CRS asked the merchants to close. Lots of GJ were enjoying the market and eating. But the CRS were super serious. We finished our shopping, as we were walking back, one CRS stopped us and we told him we were going home. Crossed the bridge, saw one GJ being arrested PEACEFULLY, saw a couple of super serious armored cars. But really nothing much. My son went the the Champs in the afternoon, there were some tear gas but nothing big. We then went by the Comedy lots of GJ, but they didn't stop our car or where we wanted to go.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Seems like today was pretty minor, but for the previous Saturdays was there a time that everything wound down by? Asking in case things flare up again in the new year.

My family (including kids 8 and 2) arrive at Orly around 4:30 PM on Saturday Jan 5th - stopping in Paris on the end of a longer trip. We are staying a couple blocks north of the Arc de Triomphe. We are still coming to Paris regardless - our flight back to the US is from CDG - but have until Jan 2nd to decide whether to move our hotel a little farther out from the center.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dbuckho
Seems like today was pretty minor, but for the previous Saturdays was there a time that everything wound down by? Asking in case things flare up again in the new year.

My family (including kids 8 and 2) arrive at Orly around 4:30 PM on Saturday Jan 5th - stopping in Paris on the end of a longer trip. We are staying a couple blocks north of the Arc de Triomphe. We are still coming to Paris regardless - our flight back to the US is from CDG - but have until Jan 2nd to decide whether to move our hotel a little farther out from the center.

We passed by the Champs around 9pm and it was open for cars and people. From what I read, they are losing support (at least in Paris) and there might not be any more manifestations. From what I saw, and I was stuck in a couple of them and my son went to check out the Champs, things were very calm. People walking around peacefully.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We will be back as a family after Christmas to celebrate the new year on the Champs-lyses as we have done each year since the 2015 terrorist attacks. Thousands stood up against terrorism and for liberty that year and I'm sure they will stand up again this year. We will stay by Place de l'Opra as always and I'm sure it will be a great time.
Yahillwe and Goldorak like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.